Author Topic: This is why I want initial quickscan optional  (Read 7073 times)

Offline jvidal

This is why I want initial quickscan optional
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:59:43 PM »
The attached screenshot was taken After avast had finished installing, db was updated and I had already registered. As you can see, the ashquick.exe process continues to run for several minutes, despite I had cancelled it as soon as it started and the AV had finished installing.
I can't understand why this process keeps running after one has pressed the "cancel" button.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, make it optional!

Mr.Agent

Re: This is why I want initial quickscan optional
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
If you wait some mins does its going to normal ? Or it isnt ?

Offline jvidal

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:51:01 PM »
yes, but that's not the point.
1) ashquick SHOULD NOT continue to run after Pressing the "cancel" button. Cancel means CANCEL, it does not mean "continue to run for several mins, eating up huge amounts of RAM and 99% of CPU time".
Pressing the cancel button should stop the process immediately and then finish the installation process.
2)I just want to avoid it. Like I said in other post, for me, it's useless most of time, since I install avast on PCs feshly built and SO freshly installed (both by me), so I know FOR A FACT that they're clean.I'm not talking about PCs bought in stores with pre-installed crap.

An option during the customized install to de-select "run a quick scan after installation" is all I'm asking for.

Nesivos

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:52:18 AM »
In Quick Scan-----Performance lower it to one bar.

Also Un-check "Store Data........."

Also under Settings------Trouble Shooting uncheck "Enable Rootkit Scan At Startup"

See if that helps

Offline jvidal

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 05:05:23 AM »
I'm talking about the quick scan that is ran in the last stage of installation.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 06:35:49 PM »
I personally prefer the initial scan as it might catch something that a previous anti-virus missed.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »
I personally prefer the initial scan as it might catch something that a previous anti-virus missed.  :)
In the situation described, there is no point. There is no previous AV, no malware, "nada".

That's why the OP is asking if there is any command line parameter or any other method so to skip the first quick scan right after the initial install.

Maybe some of the "silent" options? I don't really know if there is such an option, but the request seems rational/logic for the described case.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »

In the situation described, there is no point. There is no previous AV, no malware, "nada".

That's why the OP is asking if there is any command line parameter or any other method so to skip the first quick scan right after the initial install.

[/quote]The OP didn't indicate whether or not he had any previous av. I will admit "if" the OP already had avast up and running any update should not have caused an initial scan.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline jvidal

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 07:42:40 PM »
please read carefully, I said FRESHLY BUILT PC, FRESHLY INSTALLED OS.
And even if it's not, I just want to skip it. If somebody wants it, they don't have to do anything, it's ran by default.
But, for people like me, who do not want it, I think an option should be added to the customized installation, to make it optional. That's ALL I'M ASKING FOR.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »
May I ask, why you ask for that..??
How often do you install on a freshly installed OS..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »
I think Asyn is fully right.
There is no option to cancel the initial scanning which takes less than a minute.
Can you cancel that? How?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 09:22:27 PM »
I think Asyn is fully right.
There is no option to cancel the initial scanning which takes less than a minute.
Can you cancel that? How?
The OP states the initial scan continues to run several minutes even after cancelling.
I didn't know you could even cancel it.  ???

spg SCOTT

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 09:28:36 PM »
From the original thread:
I would tend to agree with the OP...it shouldn't be forced on users. If they know that it is clean, then they wont want to waste the time...
I know that I was slightly annoyed at it, when I last installed avast on a machine...

Maybe a command line switch?

It is all about personal preference...I think, it would be better to ask the user first, but that is just me...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 09:32:43 PM »
If the computer is infected, the avast installation could fail.
It's avast duty to make its own installation work.
The initial scanning is a security feature that must be kept there imho.
The best things in life are free.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 09:34:34 PM »
I agree with that...but the scan takes place at the end of the installation, doesn't that make it a little redundant in preventing the install being messed up? (The install would already have failed at that point wouldn't it?)