Author Topic: This is why I want initial quickscan optional  (Read 7069 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: This is why I want initial quickscan optional
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 09:39:39 PM »
I agree with that...but the scan takes place at the end of the installation, doesn't that make it a little redundant in preventing the install being messed up? (The install would already have failed at that point wouldn't it?)
You're right. But at least the user is warned.
avast can't scan if it is not already installed. It would be an egg and chicken problem.
The best things in life are free.

Offline jvidal

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 09:35:53 PM »
Plus. it's fairly usless, since it's run BEFORE the sigs are updated. So, if your avast installation program is two months old, the scan would be completely ineffective against new viruses.
And again, I'm not asking it should be removed altoghether, all I'm saying is "Make it optional". Just add an option in the customized installation. If a user uses the "express" installation, then the quickscan is run. This would be for "expert" users, who choose the customized installation and know what they're doing.
Most AVs have this option.
I hope the devs have something to say about this.

Offline jvidal

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 04:04:20 AM »
well?

Offline jvidal

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
I'm sorry, but I insist, why don't the devs say something about this?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »
Well, I basically see three issues raised in this topic:

1. That the post-installation scan cannot be suppressed / opted-out in any way.
2. That the post-installation scan cannot be effectively canceled (i.e. the scanning process still runs even if you cancel the scan).
3. That the post-installation scan is done with old definitions.

Now, we will probably change point 1 in v7 (which will have a different installer anyway). But because of the the thing discussed below about item #2, I would actually recommend against suppressing the scan anyway.

Regarding point 2, to me that's sort of a non issue, given the briefness of the scan and the relatively few resources it's using. In fact, there is a subtle reason for having it like this, and the reason is that during this scan, we're prefilling the persistent cache which then subsequently helps the File System Shield to achieve optimal performance.

Finally, regarding point 3, that is of course a valid concern which will most likely be also addressed in v7.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »
How can we thank you more?
You've addressed perfectly all issues.
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:06 PM »

1. That the post-installation scan cannot be suppressed / opted-out in any way.

Now, we will probably change point 1 in v7

@Vlk,

Short: please don't add "too many" relatively infrequent and generally not recommended GUI options for installing Avast.

Explanation: I personally like to have clear options to install. But for "relatively infrequent" (and not generally recommended) installation options, like the one presented by the OP, I think that a command line argument is better suited, instead of having GUI check boxes.

So, such an option could be a command line argument for the "AvastSetup.exe", as "/silent" is.

Offline jvidal

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 04:56:30 AM »
Thx, VLK!
Finally an answer.
Regarding point 2), I don't think it's not an issue, did you see the screenshot attached to my first post? I wouldn't call that "few resources". That screenshot was taken several minutes after the installation was completed, I wouldn't call that "brief" either.

Regarding point 1). Yes, I know you recommend against it, that's mwhy I ask it's made optional and not removed altogether...

I just hope you guys can take this into consideration. I think this could help improve the user experience with avast!

bye!

Gargamel360

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 05:04:28 AM »
Well, that screenshot was taken after you attempted to kill it, no? 

That is not normal behavior during install (99% usage), unless you still dwell in the land of Pentium. 

If yes, then that is likely part of the reason attempting to kill it is inadvisable.

Offline jvidal

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 04:24:48 AM »
Well. I didn't try to kill it, I merely pressed the "cancel" button when the message "Performing a quick scan" (or similar) appeared and the installation finished normally. Then, I registered the free version, the sigs were updated and the process was still running. It kept running for several minutes after the SS was taken and then finished normally.
The PC was a Netbook with 1GB RAM (Atom N270).

bye!