Author Topic: IEXPLORE Virus  (Read 14012 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: IEXPLORE Virus
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
OK could you let me know what problems you have at the moment

mishav13

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 11:32:22 PM »
Interesting question heh. I will need to use it for a bit to make sure everything is good but it seems to be fine now. Even the TDSSKiller program starts up now. Can you tell me what was wrong before? and what fix actually made everything work?

The only other problem i see at the moment is avast antivirus usually loaded in my system tray (bottom right corner) everytime windows boots and now it doesn't. When i double click on it on the desktop it will appear in my system tray. Once in system tray i right click start bar and select properties and click customize and change behaviour to always show. Then i restart computer and it does not show in system tray. so 2 questions: 1. how do i make it show in my system tray everytime computer starts without manually opening it everytime 2. since its not in system tray is it still running all the proper shields?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 11:37:26 PM »
I would recommend a repair of Avast.  This appears to be a new variant of the TDL family and the FixMBR got rid of it.  At the moment we are having patchy results with the various tools at our disposal, mayhap they have not yet finalised the malware 

mishav13

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 11:45:52 PM »
by repair avast do you mean uninstall and reinstall?

Edit: NVM seems like there is repair option in add/remove

Thanks a lot for all your help!!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:48:55 PM by mishav13 »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 08:57:23 PM »
Once you are happy let me know and I will remove my bits and bobs

mishav13

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »
Once you are happy let me know and I will remove my bits and bobs

Everything seems to be working good. Thanks

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »
Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Uninstall ComboFix

Remove Combofix now that we're done with it.
  • Please press the Windows Key and R on your keyboard. This will bring up the Run... command.
  • Now copy/paste this: ComboFix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the /Uninstall, it needs to be there.
    [indent][/indent]
  • Please follow the prompts to uninstall Combofix.
  • This will uninstall Combofix, delete its related folders and files, reset your clock settings, hide file extensions, hide the system/hidden files and resets System Restore again.
  • You will then recieve a message saying Combofix was uninstalled successfully once it's done uninstalling itself.
Run OTS and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself. 

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java:

SPRING CLEAN

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter
For the first run I would recommend a boot defrag and disk check

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Malwarebytes.  Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?
Keep safe  :wave: