Author Topic: 4.5 Beta also forgets settings in Win 98  (Read 5363 times)

Starfighter

4.5 Beta also forgets settings in Win 98
« on: October 26, 2004, 03:08:18 PM »
Hi,

Further to this discussion:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=7881

Unfortunately the 4.5 beta suffers the same problem as above (using Win 98).  Would it be possible to include a "save" button on the "resident task settings" menus so that the settings are properly saved?

Thanks!   :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:4.5 Beta also forgets settings in Win 98
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 01:26:52 AM »
I think that rather than having a save settings button, the settings should be saved automatically when you click OK after having made any changes to the settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 05:00:25 AM »
I think that rather than having a save settings button, the settings should be saved automatically when you click OK after having made any changes to the settings.

I thought this will be solved in the 4.5...
Won't Nobody from Alwil coment?  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Starfighter

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 06:01:11 AM »
Yes, it sure would be nice if Alwil manages to fix it.   ;D

I also agree that if the "ok" button would save it properly, then great, no need for a "save" button.  (It's like MS's redundant menus--i.e. "ok" and "apply"... why not just have "okay"? )

Also, I just noticed that the "no save" problem also happens on my Win 98SE computer (in addition to my Win 98 First Edition PC) -- both PCs have all the MS update patches installed etc.  

I realize that Win 98 is now old, but there are still quite a few of us who use it...   :P

« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 06:02:15 AM by Starfighter »

OisteinR

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 11:14:23 PM »
This happens on my XP machine too, when I use "Database=XML" in avast4.ini

Starfighter

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 01:22:44 AM »
Ahaaa... there's the common element... I'm also using XML.  

LAB

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 03:47:26 AM »
Yes, it sure would be nice if Alwil manages to fix it.   ;D

I also agree that if the "ok" button would save it properly, then great, no need for a "save" button.  (It's like MS's redundant menus--i.e. "ok" and "apply"... why not just have "okay"? )

Also, I just noticed that the "no save" problem also happens on my Win 98SE computer (in addition to my Win 98 First Edition PC) -- both PCs have all the MS update patches installed etc.  

I realize that Win 98 is now old, but there are still quite a few of us who use it...   :P

I was told that it was corrected but maybe they meant in the offical release. I am also using the Beta version with Win98SE and Avast set to use xml and if I set Avast to scan selected files only, on re-boot it goes back to scan all files. I guess we will have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 03:49:57 AM by Cochise »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 09:04:27 AM »
Well AFAIK it IS fixed - this thread is a week old, Cochise... ;)

Are you using the latest build?
What exactly do you mean by "Scan Selected files only? Are you talking on-access scanner or the regular (on-demand) scanner?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

LAB

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 12:15:19 PM »

What exactly do you mean by "Scan Selected files only? Are you talking on-access scanner or the regular (on-demand) scanner?

Thanks
Vlk

I am using build 4.5.505, vps-0445-1 with Win98SE. On the standard shield provider, under "scanner advanced" selecting "only files with selected extension"  After re-boot, Avast changes it back to "Scan all files".

I think it might have something to do with the previous version of Avast. I could not get the settings to stay and I remember that the fix was making your changes, terminating the providers, and re-booting. I had did that for settings in the mail scanner provider and in the standard shield and when I terminated them, Avast asked me if I wanted to persist the changes. I can't remember which one I selected but after I installed the Beta Version, the mail provider and standard shield were always off after re-boot and I had to keep starting them up manually. I then had to go to Avast/Settings/Confirmations and check the box to tell Avast to ask if changes were to be persisted since I had checked the box not to display it anymore when I was using the non-beta version. I was then able to get Avast to keep the two providers running all the time but they do not remember any changes made to them. It seems that all my settings when I used the non beta version did carry over to the updated beta version but now it will not let me make any changes to my original settings.

Any ideas? Do you think the problem was carried over from what I did when I was using  the non-beta version?

LAB

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 12:34:56 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

I am using build 4.5.505, vps-0445-1 with Win98SE. On the standard shield provider, under "scanner advanced" selecting "only files with selected extension"  After re-boot, Avast changes it back to "Scan all files".

I think it might have something to do with the previous version of Avast. I could not get the settings to stay and I remember that the fix was making your changes, terminating the providers, and re-booting. I had did that for settings in the mail scanner provider and in the standard shield and when I terminated them, Avast asked me if I wanted to persist the changes. I can't remember which one I selected but after I installed the Beta Version, the mail provider and standard shield were always off after re-boot and I had to keep starting them up manually. I then had to go to Avast/Settings/Confirmations and check the box to tell Avast to ask if changes were to be persisted since I had checked the box not to display it anymore when I was using the non-beta version. I was then able to get Avast to keep the two providers running all the time but they do not remember any changes made to them. It seems that all my settings when I used the non beta version did carry over to the updated beta version but now it will not let me make any changes to my original settings.

Any ideas? Do you think the problem was carried over from what I did when I was using  the non-beta version?

Hi VLK,

I got the problem corrected. I guess that if you follow the forums enough, you sort of have an idea of what the response is going to be. After posting the above, I thought to myself, " What is VLK going to tell me to do?" And the answer was "Go to control panel/add remove programs and do a "REPAIR"  for Avast. It seems to work now but I will let you know if I have anymore problems with it.

LAB

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 01:44:16 PM »

Thanks
Vlk

Hi VLK,

I got the problem corrected. I guess that if you follow the forums enough, you sort of have an idea of what the response is going to be. After posting the above, I thought to myself, " What is VLK going to tell me to do?" And the answer was "Go to control panel/add remove programs and do a "REPAIR"  for Avast. It seems to work now but I will let you know if I have anymore problems with it.

Well VLK, I thought I had the solution but what I did not take into account is that the repair function changes the Avast ini file settings back to ODBC. I changed it back to XML and I am back to square one again. Any changes I make are not saved.