Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 2 performance problem  (Read 35913 times)

brrrtmn

Re: Left 4 Dead 2 performance problem
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 06:44:33 PM »
I have same problem...

Offline Pholover

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
I hope the Avast! team can iron this out with steam/valve soon.  It's quite an inconvenience and threat as well when you want to play your game.  OS: Windows XP SP3
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:25:18 PM by Pholover »

Corrodias

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 01:00:48 AM »
Just to add some confusion to the pile, my L4D2 runs fine, without any such pausing, including when "using" with the E key. Hooray for the problem being harder to track down.

I'm using Windows 7 x64.

Gargamel360

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 01:20:04 AM »
I'm using Windows 7 x64.
Thank you for being one of the few who actually left some relevant information.

stitt

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 02:20:47 AM »
I am also on windows 7 64 bit with no issues, if it helps.

BlazeHedgehog

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 03:20:13 AM »
Windows XP Home SP3, and I have the problem.

Gargamel360

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 03:37:02 AM »
Well, so far, out of the very slim majority (not nearly enough for anything definitive) that posted their OS, XP is affected, 7 is not.

If you already posted here and are still monitoring this, posting your OS certainly helps narrow thing down.

You don't necessarily have to make a new post, you can just edit your original one to include the info.

weee

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 06:54:48 AM »
mine spec is windows xp 32bit  (sp3)
previously i used version 6 which cause the freezing issue with lfd2
now i went back to ver5 (the last ver 5) the problem seems gone, the game still lags at some point for a little while but totally palyble(not sure if that caused by avast as well)

brrrtmn

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »
so,any idea how to fix this?

TheCakeIsaLie

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 08:13:41 PM »
Also running XP SP3. I had to roll back to old version I had backed-up as file hippo did not Internet Security version. I can still get get latest virus updates so I can wait this out. I recall this happening once before and it was addressed in a few days. This was back when Left for Dead 2 was new.

Are there are debug flags or ways to log what Avast is seeing to help figure this one out ?

Stiletto

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »
I'm yet another L4D2 player running Windows XP (SP3) 32-bit, and this issue has gotten me extremely frustrated.  I really love Avast, and the last thing I want to do is disable it to play the game, because it just seems far too risky.  I've tried every other fix for this problem, and so far, nothing has worked.

I sincerely hope that Avast/Steam gets this problem figured out - hell, I BEG you: It's irritating beyond words, and I really don't want to have to give up on Avast entirely...

Nez Man

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2011, 06:59:12 PM »
Perhaps this is not a solution either, and is somewhat potentially risky, but has anyone tried adding the Left 4 Dead 2 game folders to avast!'s File System Shield Exclusions list? (See attached image.)

The computer will still be protected against threats, it just won't be directly scanning any Left 4 Dead 2 files or folders. If a threat did happen to come along, it would still most likely be picked up by another avast! Real-Time Shield. Again, as previously stated, I must stress that this is a little bit risky.

There has been mention of more Real-Time Shields than just the avast! File System Shield causing problems, so maybe this won't work. However, I reckon it's worth a try.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:01:06 PM by Naean »

BlazeHedgehog

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »
I have tried adding Left4Dead 2's folders to the exclusion list, and the problem still persists.

TheCakeIsaLie

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2011, 08:47:36 PM »
Has the latest Steam Left for Dead 2 Update made any difference ? (I rolled back to previous version I had backed up). I think they just added Dead Air version but sometimes they add in little tweaks.

Also, does playing in offline mode make any difference ? I noticed that I only get stuttering when I interact with object such as grabbing a weapon or opening a door.

Stiletto

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »
The latest update to L4D2 (for me anyways) hasn't fixed/changed the problem for me personally, and the stuttering happens in offline mode as well.  I've updated my drivers and such, and tried pretty much every solution out there.

It's really frustrating when you have a computer able to perform well, and something out of your control is messing up your game.  I'm going to try including the L4D2 folders in the shield exclusions, but I'm not getting my hopes up at this point. 

It seems like the stuttering happens mostly at hordes and event triggers.