Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 2 performance problem  (Read 35794 times)

bob.f

Left 4 Dead 2 performance problem
« on: July 10, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »
Hi,

I've recently updated to the lastest version of avast, 6.0.1203 / 110709-01. I'm now having problems playing left 4 dead 2. Every so often (after no more than a few seconds, the game freezes. Disabling avast seems to fix the problem.

Am considering downgrading to the previous program version as a short term workaround.

Please investigate.

Thanks.

antrox

Re: Left 4 Dead 2 performance problem
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
+500! Problem have the place to be!
Plus when you press E (use) PC beginning to slow, and drops to 10 fps!

antrox

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:54:58 AM »
my config by DirectX diagnostic: (file attached)

stitt

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
I have just tried mine and it works fine, however It was not installed (i had to install it, due to re format a month ago) so either try delete local files then re install it. Or maybe add the exe + steam over lay to exclusions.
I have had a couple of slowdowns on other games due to the auto safe zone stopping the part of a program after it has launched (so you cannot see the window, either alt tab and run normally. Or turn auto safe zone off.

antrox

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:14:45 PM »
seems to be no more problems

bob.f

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
what did you do to fix antrox?

antrox

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 06:22:48 PM »
absolutely nothing, no settings, no install or remove

Nesivos

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 06:39:53 PM »
left 4 dead 2 is a streaming program.

Occasionally streaming programs generate false positives.

That is my guess at what happened here.

A false positive generated by one the streams.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »
left 4 dead 2 is a streaming program.

Occasionally streaming programs generate false positives.

That is my guess at what happened here.

A false positive generated by one the streams.

That what its explain all... Wondering why those things does make avast! to appear to act like this ? Is it because of the business that made the game or its generally based on microsoft that the OS is made like that ?

Just curious sorry but i want to know why...

Nesivos

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »
I don't know the reason for this.  I do know that Avira users have experienced the same FP problem with Steaming Programs.

If I were to guess I would say that the False Positives generated in Streaming Programs are due to the how the program handles "Event Processing".  Whether the software in question has integrated CEP or not.   That would be my take on it, though it is more of guess than anything else. :) so please don't quote me on this. ;D

Mr.Agent

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 07:16:10 PM »
Ok its wasnt needed but thank i wont quote you dont worry.

Nesivos

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
Ok its wasnt needed but thank i wont quote you dont worry.
;D ;D

Wise choice.

Better for you, better for your listeners and readers and better for me. :)

BlazeHedgehog

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »
I'm still having this problem. After Avast's program updated the other day, trying to launch Left4Dead 2 would present me with a screen saying "Completing Installation... 1%" - despite the fact I've had the game installed for over a year and a half.

After hanging on that screen for several minutes, it would eventually error out with "incomplete installation". Looking up the problem on Steam's knowledge base, they mentioned McAfee caused conflicts, so I selected to turn Avast's shields off for ten minutes and the "Incomplete Installation" problem went away.

Ten minutes later, when Avast turned itself back on, I was in the middle of a Left4Dead match with my friends and suffered horrible bouts of stuttering - the game would often lock up for minutes at a time. Alt-tab, turn Avast off, stuttering vanishes.

The problem is, doing this requires leaving my entire system insecure. On top of that, me and my friends play LOTS of Left4Dead, and it's a fairly big group of friends at that, so when the call goes out that we're playing, it's often a game of musical chairs as to who gets in. Taking that extra moment to disable Avast every time I get an invite has already cost me my spot more than once since this started happening.

So either I turn Avast off forever (and then what's the point in having it installed at all?) or... well, I guess there is no other option, is there?

bob.f

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 01:27:39 PM »
Or you could roll back to the previous version as I did, see filehippo.com. As long as you keep the definitions updated, but don't update the program itself I would imagine you should be fairly safe.

Failing that I tried disabling avast entirely and using MSE instead, but decided there was less risk in simply rolling back one version of avast.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 03:20:58 PM »
Interesting, i never had any problems with L4D1 or L4D2 when using avast!.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog