Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 2 performance problem  (Read 35893 times)

Greybelly

Re: Left 4 Dead 2 performance problem
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 09:07:29 AM »
Hi, I pay for Avast and it stops me playing Left 4 Dead 2 while maintaining the latest security.

I'm on WinXP SP3.
With Avast version 6.0.1000 Left 4 Dead 2 installs and plays fine.
When I update the program I get the install problems mentioned above and the game play stuttering mentioned above.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011, 09:18:03 AM »
Perhaps this is not a solution either, and is somewhat potentially risky, but has anyone tried adding the Left 4 Dead 2 game folders to avast!'s File System Shield Exclusions list? (See attached image.)

The computer will still be protected against threats, it just won't be directly scanning any Left 4 Dead 2 files or folders. If a threat did happen to come along, it would still most likely be picked up by another avast! Real-Time Shield. Again, as previously stated, I must stress that this is a little bit risky.

There has been mention of more Real-Time Shields than just the avast! File System Shield causing problems, so maybe this won't work. However, I reckon it's worth a try.

Just a thought here, does l4d2 use any other folders beside the default install one ? Like for saved games ? I had incredible stuttering when playing Bad Company 2 when i first joined a server, it turns out the game keeps changing some files in the "my documents\bfbc2" folder and after i added that folder to avast! exclusions, no more stutters. Not sure how l4d2 works but perhaps it is also creating or modifying files during gameplay and avast! is constantly scanning those in the background.   

BlazeHedgehog

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
Left4Dead 2 has no such thing as "save games". You play an entire campaign in one sitting or you quit and restart from the last map you were on (but given that an entire L4D2 campaign can be finished in 45-60 minutes, it's not a big deal).

Nothing else to my knowledge is stored outside of the Left4Dead 2 install folder. All custom maps and whatnot goes in there and not to a folder somewhere else on the HDD.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2011, 10:33:11 AM »
Like i said i don't know how l4d2 works, it was worth a shot. I reported this thread to the mods though, i hope they will look into this issue.

Msiiek

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2011, 03:21:05 PM »
Had the same issue (win xp sp3 x86). Game work fine if I turn off 3 shields: "System file shield", "P2P shield" and "IM shield". Other shields can run and game work fine. + I don't need to turn off all my shields but this problem is annoying.

Stiletto

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2011, 05:10:37 PM »
I tried adding all the game folders to the exclusions, and no dice.  I had changed a lot of settings to reduce the stuttering, but suddenly this morning, it's become worse than ever!  I do hope this situation gets resolved, because avast! is the preferred AV of choice for a lot of gamers, including myself, and I refuse to ever use a different AV program (nothing else compares!).

skypichat

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »
hello, I have the same trouble with the last AVAST 6.0.1203
All Steam APP won't works perfectly.
It's necessary to stop the File scan in Avast to play with Portal 2 or Left4Dead 2
I have a lot of acces in my Raid 0 HDD on win XP Sp3 X86

Stiletto

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2011, 06:06:03 PM »
I guess I'm just going to roll back to Avast 5 until this situation is fixed.  I really hope they have someone working on this...

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »
Well I am using Win 7 and lol today I just installed L4D1...
When I started playing the way the game was being displayed was strange...
The graphic was not playing smoothly etc...
Do you guys think it is related to avast?

Well don't blame me for not disabling the avast shields and try again because I uninstalled the game immediately after seeing such a bad display of that game...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:41:10 PM by Shiw Liang »

Stiletto

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2011, 04:33:53 AM »
Since rolling back to avast 5, I have literally had absolutely no problems with my games.  They run as smoothly as ever now, so it's absolutely the latest avast that was causing the problems.

I really hope they are fixing this, as I don't like opening up my comp to any vulnerabilities, including not having the option to block out whatever websites I enter in to block.

Please tell me the solution is forthcoming!

Trafalgar

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2011, 11:46:47 PM »
I registered on these forums specifically to post in this thread checking to see if there was anything in these forums about this issue (the incomplete installation (55) issue). I'm experiencing it with Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which just unlocked this morning, which is to say that it tried to unlock, but Avast somehow blocked it without any of its scanners showing anything suspicious. It sat on 1% for several seconds before declaring an incomplete installation (55).

I ended up disabling avast, which allowed it to unlock, and then it unlocked (I didn't try disabling avast while I was playing, so I don't know if it would have run faster without it). About a half hour ago, I closed the game, and it tried to install a patch (Avast was active). It downloaded it, but failed to install, with the same problem as before. Since the patch didn't work I've tried to make it work without disabling avast, but without much luck. I've had to disable the file shield, P2P shield, and IM shield, and trying to let steam patch it without disabling the file shield was impossible, even with an exclusion on the steam folder (H:\Program Files\Steam\*) in the file shield's expert settings -> exclusions (with r/w/x all checked). However I noted using AnVir task manager that Steam appeared to be running a DLL file which was not named with a .dll extension (~26.tmp) from my Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp folder. It exports one function, _runfunc@20, and imports a lot of functions, which doesn't give me any idea what it's about. Putting an exclusion on that file specifically wouldn't be possible if it's recreated whenever steam is run (why are they doing that, anyways?), and an exclusion on the temp folder would be downright dangerous.

Another thing. Approximately 80% of the games I've gotten from Steam in the past several months (including from the Humble Indie Bundle 3, quite a few) were thrown by Avast into the autosandbox automatically, until I went looking for the setting to make it stop doing that automatically, and I've seen some annoying false positives which were never addressed before too (such as seeing a program which came with HP computers and was a vital part of the automatic system restore software, be classified by Avast as a 'potentially unwanted program', and as such automatically getting thrown into the virus chest).

P.S. I'm using Windows XP Home SP3 and Avast 6.0.1203.

DoktorV

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 09:26:02 AM »
I have two systems I play games on, one which will be retired from game duty soon running Windows XP 32-bit and a new one running Windows 7 64-bit.

L4D2 is unplayable while Avast shields are active on Windows XP-32 but works normally on Windows 7-64.

Offline hectic-mmv

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »
Hi all,

please can you try to install our latest beta

Download links:
Free AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1273/setup_av_free.exe
Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1273/setup_av_pro.exe
IS: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1273/setup_ais.exe

We are working on this issue here, but havent reproduced it yet with this build.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »
Ahem...hello :)

Can't you tell your colleagues to post it in the fan page of avast below?
http://www.facebook.com/avast

Because I've seen someone complaining about it yesterday or the day before...

Greybelly

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »
Hi,

I tried installing the latest Beta Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1273/setup_av_pro.exe
it failed and I got the following message:
"There was an error while changing the product configuration".

I am currently on the Pro version 6.0.1203