Author Topic: What other checking programs to use with Avast  (Read 5822 times)

willythecat

What other checking programs to use with Avast
« on: July 11, 2011, 02:56:10 AM »
Am new to this the forum but have been using Avast Free for quite a while now.
What a brilliant free program, stops nearly all threats, and even has a free sandbox feature thrown in. Wow, how do they do it for free?
Anyway, Avast is just "another" AV program with its included shields etc. and at the moment l run this in conjunction with Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and SpywareBlaster.
A few years ago l used to use PCTools Spyware Doctor, which l also thought was very good, but got rid of it in favour of the above three programs. Times have changed and I'm now trying to "tidy" things up with the least, but most effective programs, running realtime.
With Avast as my AV, should l get rid of Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and SpywareBlaster in favour of PCTools Spyware Doctor (the version without the AV obviously)?
Will this clash with Avast?
Any advice welcome.
Thanks 

Gargamel360

Re: What other checking programs to use with Avast
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:09:37 AM »
Well, I would say no.  You did not mention if you used Pro versions of MBAM or SAS, but anything from PC Tools could be considered to be on "back shelf" development status since their company was purchased by Symmantec.  MBAM or SAS I would say are more current tools. 

Spyware blaster is good if you are stuck on an old version of IE like at a work environment, but most of the stuff it guards against has been patched already, so if you have newest IE, it is sort of redundant.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 03:22:38 AM »
I don't think so. Just because PCTools was acquired by Symantec and I don't know the future.
MBAM, Super and SB are the most common three companions of avast.
The best things in life are free.

Nesivos

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 03:36:53 AM »
If want to consider SAS go to the SuperAntiSpyware website and make sure to download the 5.X Beta.  I am not sure what Beta version is now being downloaded over there but the current version is 5.0.1096.  If the download installs an earlier version of 5.0.1096 the software should automatically update to 5.0.1096.

I have used the SAS 5.0 Beta for a two to three months and it is a lot better than the current to 4.x RTW version.

You should be able to get two lifetime licenses for the same price as Malwarebytes, about $50 if they are still running the sale.

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:39:07 AM »
I use Comodo firewall, mbam free, SAS free, and pc tools threatfire....I've had no problems with Threatfire and avast together
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

DarkMasters

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 07:14:36 PM »
If you really want to tidy things up then just use Avast and any decent firewall, plus common sense. I think it's quite secure already.

If you feel the need for second opinion then the free SUPERAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes is a nice addition for you.

SpywareBlaster is a nice addition if IE is your main browser, still it's not really needed.

The only good product from PCTools is their PCTools Firewall Plus (which is free), their antivirus and antispyware product is mediocre.

Daris

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »
OK Guys !!! I have used Spybot, Spywareblaster, And a almost all the firewalls from Comodo to Private Frewall to Outpost to, PCTools Firewall and a couple others....
  I have UNinstalled all, and only keep MBAM and SAS on demand as scanners, with Avast 6 and Sandboxie and I just love Sandboxie....My computer is running awesome, I have not had any errors in my Event viewer for the last 7 months and very happy with this combo...Sandboxie drops a yellow IE shortcut on your desktop which you use instead of the Shortcut of IE...Also I can run my Opera browser by just right clicking on it and "Run Sandboxed' It allows you to sign in and post or check email but once I close my browser everything is cleared out of the Sandboxie Control....
  I am Using a router and maybe I should use a firewall, but things have been going so good that I don't want to change them.....Ohhh and if anybody is interested in Sandboxie  Don't download it from their site cause it expires and you get a pop up after 30 days although still works.....If you download it from CNET it is always Free...No Pop Up....Anyways Happy with Avast and Sandboxie
     Once I even went on a site knowing there was Trojans there ...And Avast does detect them ....Once I close my browser and did a scan,  all Avast found was empty Folders..with nothoing in Virus chest.  Did a scan with SAS and MBAM and found Zilch....

Anyways  just my 2 cents if anyone cares...

Mayflower

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »

The only good product from PCTools is their PCTools Firewall Plus (which is free), their antivirus and antispyware product is mediocre.

I agree.

tony b

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 07:42:43 PM »

Spyware blaster is good if you are stuck on an old version of IE like at a work environment, but most of the stuff it guards against has been patched already, so if you have newest IE, it is sort of redundant.
Do you think firefox is as secure as the latest IE ? I still have spywareblaster installed,along with avast free and I run MBAM every so often.

Gargamel360

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 09:29:32 PM »
Do you think firefox is as secure as the latest IE ? I still have spywareblaster installed,along with avast free and I run MBAM every so often.
A.....debatable question, for some.  Some would say Firefox is safer, mostly because it is less used therefore less targeted than IE, being open source leads to quicker response time on vulnerability fixes and the like, and it is not hardwired to the OS and saddled with notoriously exploited things like ActiveX.

But I have also seen it said that "out of the box", meaning no extensions or anything installed, IE9 is technically safer.  However, you can harden Fx with security add-ons that MS will never allow to exist on their browser....these add-ons are often considered a PITA by many, though.

DarkMasters

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »

I don't think IE 9 is more secure than Firefox 5.0.1 or vice versa. I use Opera and Firefox mostly because IE 9 is still way slower than both.

I think security more depend on the person behind the keyboard rather than a pack of security software installed.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.