Author Topic: Avast! vs. ESET  (Read 22058 times)

MarcoMJF

Avast! vs. ESET
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:07:33 AM »
Hi, what is better? Avast! Internet Security or Eset Smart Security 4?
thx for reply :D

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast! vs. ESET
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 03:18:49 AM »
What answer do you expect to get on an avast! forum?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 03:23:29 AM »
Long way...
Check independent reviews and tests (like Virus Bulletin).
Use and get used with the program.
Set your priorities and must-have.
Dig into technical forums.

Short and happy way:
Be avast! 160+ happy users all around the world :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline sooners2win

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 04:57:38 AM »
I like Avast and AVG IS
a6750f, amd phenom 9650quad core processor 2.30Ghz, Ram 8GB, Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2,Avast7 Free,Comodo Firewall, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, FF3.6.14,Google Chrome.

Nesivos

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:55:13 AM »
Hi, what is better? Avast! Internet Security or Eset Smart Security 4?
thx for reply :D

All I can tell you from my experience is I use Eset on-demand scanning once in a while.  I would use it more but it is very slow.  For example their default scan on my x64 computers takes 35 - 40 minutes which is maybe 4 times slower than avast! Quick Scan and about 75% slower than it takes avast! to scan my entire internal HDD.

Eset has found a couple of items that avast! has missed but I prefer to use Stinger over Eset even though Stinger is slower but it has been more effective in finding bad stuff especially in MSFT backup image files.

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 06:18:08 AM »
ESET has robots, that is the only advantage they have over Avast! 

robots > pirates

So now Avast! is working on special pirate robots to counter this.

robots < pirate robots

So you will be sorry if you use ESET and the pirate robot version of Avast! debuts, as they will surely pillage and plunder the poor IRobot-style ESET robots.  This is not a battle you want to be on the losing side of.  Choose Avast! today.

enemyofarsenic

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 07:40:15 AM »
LOL!

DarkMasters

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »
I'd rather pay for Norton IS or Norton 360 over ESET SS. However, since Avast is much lighter on system resource than Norton I'd rather pay for Avast IS instead.

This is Avast Forum, so most people here will answer Avast over anything.

antrox

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »
I participate in a Russian independent tests, and i see that ESET has a higher detect! But we used only the LATEST viruses. Avast weakest of the most popular in the search for new types of viruses. And to have a rather long response to the virus sent (more then 24 hours). But it catches up after 24 hours.

But the rest of it better than others and very quick and beauty! ;) I use the free Avast and test it, send viruses. I like its low load on the system!

If the detector will be increased in version 7 with preservation of other characteristics - I would definitely buy Avast IS!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 12:08:31 PM by antrox »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »
Avast weakest of the most popular in the search for new types of viruses. And to have a rather long response to the virus sent (more then 24 hours). But it catches up after 24 hours.
Yes and no.
Yes, they always need to improve the detection of zero-day.
No, because ESET - and any other antivirus - has its own weakness as avast has a lot of unique detections (mostly on websites and scripts).
The best things in life are free.

JoeB

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »
I use the free Avast and test it
You compared the free version of Avast vs Eset?
Please compare prices on the paid versions and compare those instead, makes much more sense.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 02:00:33 PM »
Please compare prices on the paid versions and compare those instead, makes much more sense.

Avast "free" is a full AV solution that can compare to any other full AV, paid or not. As long as you compare the AV features, I can't see where the problem is. Now coming here to ask if Eset is better than Avast or the contrary >>> LOL ;D

JoeB

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 03:32:38 PM »

Avast "free" is a full AV solution that can compare to any other full AV, paid or not. As long as you compare the AV features, I can't see where the problem is. Now coming here to ask if Eset is better than Avast or the contrary >>> LOL ;D

Full AV product, sure, that would mean NOD32, which is why I asked.
Comparing free up against ESET Smart Security would not be fair unless it is compared against Avast Internet Security.
Hope that was more clear.

LunarWolf

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 03:40:29 PM »
Actually, I think ESET heuristics is better than avast. Based on AV comparatives. However, it seems that ESET is going down hill (based on what I read on Wilders).

Marcus said on WIlders that ESET have one of the fastest response time. Not sure how true is that.

antrox

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 03:58:29 PM »
No, i testing Avast and see the results of other users (others antiviruses) ;)