Author Topic: [Solved] Program incompatibility: Avast Internet security and AdMuncher  (Read 7981 times)

LfmC

The incompatibility causes a 5-10 sec lag when opening pages through any browser. Disabling any of the 2 programs solves it, but for us who bought both programs, this is not an option.

For those unfamiliar with it, admuncher is by far the best ad blocker on the market today, so this is not some random irrelevant piece of software.

Need help with this ASAP, or at least a workaround until the problem is fixed.
Thanks

EDIT:
i7 @ 3.2GHz, 6GB DDR3 RAM
Win7 x64
Firefox 5/IE9
Admuncher (latest official release, tried the new beta, same problem), Avast Internet Security (latest official release, now using v6.0.1125 and no compatibility issues with it)

EDIT: SOLVED BY AVAST IN THE LATEST BETA VERSION OF AVAST INTERNET SECURITY
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:22:25 PM by LfmC »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Program incompatibility: Avast Internet security and AdMuncher
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »
Hi, what should do you need to disable (turn of) to correct the problem? Is it still the WebShield?

rambo1940

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:52:03 PM »
The incompatibility causes a 5-10 sec lag when opening pages through any browser. Disabling any of the 2 programs solves it, but for us who bought both programs, this is not an option.

For those unfamiliar with it, admuncher is by far the best ad blocker on the market today, so this is not some random irrelevant piece of software.

Thanks

I use AdMuncher with avast free.Good as gold

I agree AM is the best ad blocker
But that does not answer your problem
Try speaking to AM.The fellow there  will answer your question.
From memory his name is Jeffrey Cole
I have spoken to him a number of times.
I am pretty sure he wrote the program
So he knows whats what.
Regards

LfmC

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
Hi, what should do you need to disable (turn of) to correct the problem? Is it still the WebShield?

I reverted to version 6.0.1125 and everything works again. So that is my temporary workaround. Disabling either program (AIS all shields off or shutting down admuncher) fixes the problem.

Thanks

I use AdMuncher with avast free.Good as gold

I'm using avast internet security. Not the same thing.

I agree AM is the best ad blocker
But that does not answer your problem
Try speaking to AM.The fellow there  will answer your question.
From memory his name is Jeffrey Cole
I have spoken to him a number of times.
I am pretty sure he wrote the program
So he knows whats what.
Regards

Already did. Hopefully he will fix it, but TBH this problem was made by a new version of AIS, not Admuncher, so IMO this is still a avast problem. But whoever fixes it first, makes no difference to me :)

miscreant

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
I also use admuncher with avast ais and haven't had that problem.I use firefox 5 and IE9 occasionally with windows 7 64 bit.Are you using any other web filtering software or security software?

LfmC

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »
I also use admuncher with avast ais and haven't had that problem.I use firefox 5 and IE9 occasionally with windows 7 64 bit.Are you using any other web filtering software or security software?

No. I've also tried closing pretty much all other working processes and the same thing happens. I've also tried different versions of admuncher but the problem only went away after I downgraded AIS to a previous version; so how is this anything but a AIS problem? I'm still waiting for a solution, but it appears this problem is gonna become a ping pong match between admuncher and AIS; each ignoring the problem and blaming the other one..  ::)

LfmC

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:05:58 AM »
Can I get some official support here??
This problems is still here. I've reinstalled my entire system in the meantime, and I've got the same damn thing happening again. I've further pinpointed it down to the avast firewall, which if disabled, solves the problem. Of course, that is not a solution, as my main reason for buying avast internet security was THE FIREWALL!  >:(

So again:
When both admuncher and AIS are working I get huge lag with any kind of internet transfer; opening webpages, updating software, etc. It's about 2-5 secs every time a request is sent, and is beyond annoying when it comes to surfing the web and opening web pages. It's not a problem of admuncher as this bug was introduced in the latest version of AIS. I know this because I've tried older version of both admuncher and AIS and only AIS older version fixes this problem.

EDIT: Reinstalling AIS fixes the problem, but ONLY TEMPORARILY (a few hours). So this is not a solution, but it might help pinpoint the exact problem. I should also not that I use the firewall in manual mode (ask which software has permission to connect online), and have, ofc, configured it to allow all essential windows services, browsers and admuncher free connections on all ports.

I don't know what else you want me to do to prove this is an actual AIS bug/problem. I can record a video showing the whole procedure in action, as I can reproduce this bug 100% of the time on both of my PC's and my laptop. Would that help?

EDIT 2: If it helps, the installation is custom and has both web reputation plugin and avast! gadget disabled. I actually disabled this on my 2nd installation in the hope it might help with this particular bug, but didn't make a difference. It's definitely a firewall issue.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:28:24 AM by LfmC »

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:06:50 AM »
I don't use "AM", but I thought about checking something anyway.

You say this is related to Avast Firewall. Although you mentioned that the problem started with the latest version of AIS (and still works correctly with previous versions), please try this at least to test it and maybe narrow down the problem.

Usually, Avast FW works together with Windows FW, both "on". Can you completely disable Windows FW and reboot, so to test the new situation/performance?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

LfmC

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 09:28:10 PM »
I don't use "AM", but I thought about checking something anyway.

You say this is related to Avast Firewall. Although you mentioned that the problem started with the latest version of AIS (and still works correctly with previous versions), please try this at least to test it and maybe narrow down the problem.

Usually, Avast FW works together with Windows FW, both "on". Can you completely disable Windows FW and reboot, so to test the new situation/performance?

Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately the windows firewall is already disabled.

Can I get some official support here??

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit

I'd love to, but the submit a ticket form.... doesn't work.  ::)
When submitting the request, it keeps saying one of the required fields is empty, even though it's not. I guess I might be blind, so here's a screenshot (actual message and account blured). Perhaps you can tell me what field I've skipped. Tried submitting the form with both IE9 and firefox 5 with admuncer disabled, to make sure it's not a browser compatibility issue.

Please let me know asap so that I can submit a ticket.

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 12:44:17 AM »
Maybe the "subject" data is empty?

LfmC

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 12:48:58 AM »
Maybe the "subject" data is empty?

There is a subject line?  ???
[boosts contrast on LCD]
Oh.. there it is. My bad. Thx

gonzogonzo

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 12:11:07 PM »
I use Avast Internet security and AdMuncher from long time and also now on Seven Ultimate x86 and never i have any problem with all version and i am very sodisfited of them...