Author Topic: avast! sounds not working  (Read 5565 times)

ManG

avast! sounds not working
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »
hello,
i've been a user of avast! for a very long time, but i have discovered a problem about sounds. they stopped working for me when i updated the program into a certain version (i dont remember which version exactly), but it was under avast! 6. i have tried the uninstall utility made by avast, and also tried IObit uninstaller (it scans for leftover files and removes them), re-installed, but same results.
i also tried installing avast! internet security (trial version), but still didnt work (im a free user).
the sound files are present in avast folder in /ProgramData, and play correctly with itunes or windows media player, but avast doesnt play them however.

any ideas why and/or how to fix?
any help would be appreciated!
thanks

spg SCOTT

Re: avast! sounds not working
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:33:10 PM »
Hi ManG, welcome to the forum :)

Can you check the settings?

Settings - Sounds - See if "Enable avast! Sounds" is enabled

Scott

ManG

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 08:49:08 PM »
Hello,
sounds are already enabled as I always check to see whether they're enabled or not whenever i install/re-install.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »
Ok, not too sure then...maybe try a custom soundpack, and see if that works

avast.com/audio

ManG

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:21:06 PM »
it doesnt work, i also tried reinstalling the official sound pack too.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »
I'm afraid I am at a loss then, sorry.

Maybe someone else who knows more can comment?

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »
If I remember correctly, Igor commented that the sounds are somehow "chained" or "connected" to notifications.

(Note: there was a request to have sounds working independently, since they have an independent tab under "settings", so these two, "notifications" and "sounds", may not work "chained" in future Avast versions.)

So, to the OP, maybe you could check / play around with your pop ups, Status Bar monitoring, and updates settings, together with sounds.

An additional suggestion:
While an Avast notification is displayed, and a sound is supposed to be heard, you could:
1_ right-click on the "Volume" icon in your tray area;
2_ open Volume Mixer;
3_ double check the volume level and mute status of the "Avast" column.

If Avast is (supposed to be) performing a sound, a column should be displayed in the Windows Volume Mixer. This column is only displayed while the sound is heard, and that's why I say that you need to wait for some notification to be displayed (and its correspondent sound to, in theory, be heard).

After you confirm that the "Avast" column in the Windows Volume Mixer is correct (say, 100%) AND NOT in mute, you should at least wait for the next notification to actually be able to test if the sound is now active and is heard.

Please let us know if something of these steps helped.

ManG

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 05:43:42 PM »
If I remember correctly, Igor commented that the sounds are somehow "chained" or "connected" to notifications.

(Note: there was a request to have sounds working independently, since they have an independent tab under "settings", so these two, "notifications" and "sounds", may not work "chained" in future Avast versions.)

So, to the OP, maybe you could check / play around with your pop ups, Status Bar monitoring, and updates settings, together with sounds.

An additional suggestion:
While an Avast notification is displayed, and a sound is supposed to be heard, you could:
1_ right-click on the "Volume" icon in your tray area;
2_ open Volume Mixer;
3_ double check the volume level and mute status of the "Avast" column.

If Avast is (supposed to be) performing a sound, a column should be displayed in the Windows Volume Mixer. This column is only displayed while the sound is heard, and that's why I say that you need to wait for some notification to be displayed (and its correspondent sound to, in theory, be heard).

After you confirm that the "Avast" column in the Windows Volume Mixer is correct (say, 100%) AND NOT in mute, you should at least wait for the next notification to actually be able to test if the sound is now active and is heard.

Please let us know if something of these steps helped.

im afraid that didnt work. it doesnt show anything about avast.. but why is it happening only to my computer? i mean it works fine in other computers in my house (well, it used to, because no one uses avast anymore except me in the house right now)

any other ideas?

ManG

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
could it be anything related to "Permissions" and ownership and that stuff in windows 7?