Author Topic: I Have A Problem Avast Support Could Not Fix. Could you help, please?  (Read 23275 times)

avastconspiracy

Ok.  I just bought Avast 5 days ago on July 7th.  I used to use McAfee; but had read so many good things about Avast (in particular the various shields and sandbox features) so I decided to change.  I unsintalled Mcafee and install Avast.  Now, here is the problem:

I called the Avast/Iyogi support line.  I asked the person there to help me with resolving conflicts between my Windows defender/lingering Mcafee files (even after the uninstall) and they would not help me. 

At first, I told the support person what Dell told me:  there is a conflict between Windows defender and Avast antivirus.  The Iyogi person said, yes that is true, let me help you fix that.

Then, the Iyogi person remotely connected to my laptop, opened up my Event Viewer and showed me all these Errors and Warnings that he said would eventually lead to my laptop crashing due to conflicts (like the Windows Defender/Avast conflict) and other problems.  I got nervous and asked how to resolve the conflicts and he said, in so many words, "It'll only cost you $169 and we'll clean your computer".  Hmmm....

Well, I declined his offer.  And... he did not help me any further. 

I have two questions: 

1.)  How can I resolve the conflict between Windows Defender and Avast so that Avast doesn't encounter any problems operating.  I get this message from Windows that says "Windows did not find anti-virus software on this computer", so I'm assuming the conflict is real.  Also, the Iyogi showed me some remnants (???) of Mcafee in my registry.  I thought this was strange as I did a complete uninstall from my Control Panel/Uninstall A Program before I installed Avast.  The Iyogi person aslo suggested that Avast conflicts with PC Doctor. Is that correct?  In a word, what do I need to do to resolve these security software conflicts so that Avast works at 100%?

2.)  Is it right that Iyogi should not help me with this problem?  I would have thought that resolving conflicts between that prevent Avast from working properly would fall under the purview of Avast's support team.  I felt very disappointed that the support person wouldn't help me and instead wanted to sell me MORE support for $169.  Was I expecting too much?

3.) Is it normal to have 2000 errors and warnings in my event viewer?  Should I send my laptop to Dell (I have extended warranty) to get them to fix it?

Ok.  Sorry to be so long-winded.  But if you can help me, particularly with question #1, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you in advance

gonzogonzo

I am not a guru but i think, because i have negative experience,
that You, before of all, must uninstall McAfee (search with Google
or in McAfee site) with specific utility. Then reboot, clean Registry etc
with CCleaner, and see if there is again problem then search with Google like uninstall
Defender.
I have installed various antivirus suite and Your problem can be probably solved with quiet...
And remenbar use only Avast (i have used all suite but at end best compromise is Avast)! 

spg SCOTT

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

Then, the Iyogi person remotely connected to my laptop, opened up my Event Viewer and showed me all these Errors and Warnings that he said would eventually lead to my laptop crashing due to conflicts (like the Windows Defender/Avast conflict) and other problems.  I got nervous and asked how to resolve the conflicts and he said, in so many words, "It'll only cost you $169 and we'll clean your computer".  Hmmm....
This is disappointing...it sounds exactly like the microsoft scam that I hear about here in England, where people phone from Microsoft and say the same thing...(a scam basically) There will always be some form of error in event viewer, which is why the scam over here works so well on those that don't know...

On the subject of iYogi, there is a dedicated avast team member for issues etc.
If you have personal experience of this, then you should report it.
- Adam Riley, riley (at) avast (dot) com Avast Third-party Support Manager, has requested info about iYogi, so if you have time to recount your experience (copy and paste your post, etc.), give the link to this topic.

For your actual problem.

McAfee - How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

Generally, avast wont conflict with Defender, I have it enabled on 2 machines.
The error that you mention sounds like the action center (WMI) has messed itself up a little.

What version of windows?

You could also try a repair of avast:
XP -> Start-->control panel-->add/remove programs -->avast antivirus --> click remove --> scroll down and click repair

Vista/7 -> Start -->control panel -->Programs -->uninstall a program -->avast! Antivirus -->Click 'Uninstall/Change -->Scroll down and click repair

Scott

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Ok lets start by you running the uninstaller for McAfee and any other av you might have used in the past from here http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/, once you have run the tool for each av follow with a reboot after each, now download a fresh copy of avast and save if you didn't save your previous download.
Uninstall avast via programs and features reboot and run ccleaner, now your fine to reinstall avast.

Sorry SCOTT didn't see your post  :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:28:16 PM by craigb »

avastconspiracy

Gonzogonzo, spgScott and Craigb

Thank you for your welcome and also for you suggestions.

1.)  I have done what you suggested.  I did a repair of Avast and I also used the MCPR tool to uninstall McAfee.  

Question:  Do I also have to get rid of malwarebytes anti-malware?  I never run it, except the occasional scan --  and always in safe mode -- every couple of weeks.  I did this when I had Mcafee as an extra backup scanner.  Should I not follow this practice now that I have Avast and delete it completely also (even though I don't have it running, except in occasional safe mode scans?)?

2.) The CCleaner.  I have never used that before.  I have heard that there are dangers to cleaning the registry if you don't know what you're doing.  I'm not really that savvy, so I'd be a bit nervous.  Is it safe to simply download it and let it do its thing?  

3.) As for the Event Viewer errors and warnings.  So... does that mean I shouldn't worry at all?  There were like 2000+ warnings, errors, informations and stuff in the Event Viewer.  It looked scary...

4.)  Scott, you said that "Generally, avast wont conflict with Defender, I have it enabled on 2 machines. The error that you mention sounds like the action center (WMI) has messed itself up a little."  You are right, I see an error message in my action center that says "Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer."  Of course, I have Avast running, so this is what first alerted me to the possibility of a problem. When I called Dell, they told me there WAS a conflict between defender and avast.  They even suggested I turn defender off if I wanted Avast to run its' firewall unimpended.  That's when I decided to call Avast/Iyogi support (and experienced the above-described).  However, from what you're saying, Dell's info about there being a conflict between defender and Avast is incorrect, yes?

Thanks for all your help!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:08:08 PM by avastconspiracy »

spg SCOTT

1.)  I have done what you suggested.  I did a repair of Avast and I also used the MCPR tool to uninstall McAfee.  

Question:  Do I also have to get rid of malwarebytes anti-malware?  I never run it, except the occasional scan --  and always in safe mode -- every couple of weeks.  I did this when I had Mcafee as an extra backup scanner.  Should I not follow this practice now that I have Avast and delete it completely also (even though I don't have it running, except in occasional safe mode scans?)?
Did it work? Is avast now recognised in the security center?

You can keep MalwareBytes if you want, it is designed to compliment AVs, and is often recommended here :)
The only thing I will say is that the scans can be done in a normal windows boot. (i.e. not safe mode) IIRC it works better that way.

2.) The CCleaner.  I have never used that before.  I have heard that there are dangers to cleaning the registry if you don't know what you're doing.  I'm not really that savvy, so I'd be a bit nervous.  Is it safe to simply download it and let it do its thing?  
I haven't used it in a while, so I will defer to someone else on that one. ;)
You have to be careful with the registry. I personally leave it alone. Not sure how effective the Reg cleaner bit of CCleaner is, since I have never used it.

3.) As for the Event Viewer errors and warnings.  So... does that mean I should worry?  There were like 2000+ warnings, errors, informations and stuff in the Event Viewer. It looked scary...
Errors are always going to be in the event viewer, not a problem. (click the image to enlarge - What I see in event viewer)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:13:42 PM by spg SCOTT »

avastconspiracy

Scott,

1.) Well, Avast is still not recognized in the security center. Maybe I think I'll try to uninstall Avast completely and reinstall.

2.) On the CC cleaner, ok, hopefully someone here knows. I'll also do some google research myself.

3.) On the Event Viewer.  Yep!  That's what mine looks like!  :)

4.) Any further thoughts on my #4 query, just above?

Thanks so much!

spg SCOTT

1. You could try resetting the WMI repository.
If you have Vista or Win 7, there is a tool that makes it easier:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility

Download --> unzip --> run as admin --> choose System Tools on the left --> then click fix next to the option:
Action Center and Windows Security Center no longer recognizes AntiVirus and Firewall or still identifies old security software as installed.

If you are on XP the process is a little longer, I'll have to find the manual instructions...

As I understand it, avast is running correctly, but it is windows that is having trouble recognising it. I have seen this on the forums a few times...

Resetting the repository (the process I described above) sometimes fixes it...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:33:23 PM by spg SCOTT »

avastconspiracy

1. You could try resetting the WMI repository.
If you have Vista or Win 7, there is a tool that makes it easier:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-7-vista-problems-with-fixwin-utility

Download --> unzip --> run as admin --> choose System Tools on the left --> then click fix next to the option:
Action Center and Windows Security Center no longer recognizes AntiVirus and Firewall or still identifies old security software as installed.

If you are on XP the process is a little longer, I'll have to find the manual instructions...

As I understand it, avast is running correctly, but it is windows that is having trouble recognising it. I have seen this on the forums a few times...

Resetting the repository (the process I described above) sometimes fixes it...

Scott,

Success!  I uninstalled/reinstalled Avast.  Now, I no longer have an action message saying Windows could not find antivirus software.  Hopefully all is resolved.

Thank you very much for your help. 

Hermite15

lol if this is true (and I believe it is, after reading earlier reports):

1 those Iyogi guys should be reported (but to whom ?)
2 Avast should definitely break any tie with them

@spg SCOTT yes that definitely sounds like a scam
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:15:19 PM by logos »

avastconspiracy

Re: I Have A Problem Avast Support Could Not Fix. Could you help, please?
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »
Logos

Yes it is true what I wrote.  I thought it was strange that the Avast/Iyogi people could not help me and suggested I buy some additional year-long service for $169.  I already have Dell 24/7 next day business support, and I just bought Avast 2 year/3pcs subscription, so I'm not looking to spend more money. When I said I wasn't interested, the Iyogi person said they couldn't help me any futher.  And that was that.

But I am happy now because it seems to be okay now because I no longer have a message that says Windows can't find antivirus software.

I understand now that it was a bit of a scare tactic from Iyogi, but I may still ask Dell support to go over the Event Viewer errors and warnings with me later on.

I have another question now that I have uninstalled/reinstalled avast; but maybe its best I start a separate thread?  I don't know.  If you or Scott or Craig or Gonzo could tell me in this thread, I'd appreciate it.  If not, I'll start a new topic:

After I reinstalled, I got two pop ups from Avast (that I don't remember seeing when I first installed Avast) that said it had established new rules, one for internet explorer (when I opened it) and one from firefox (another pop up when I opened it).  

Under Application Rules, I see that rule for Internet explorer has been set to "Friends In and Internet Out (otherwise auto-decide)"; but for Firefox it has been set to "Friends in/out (otherwise auto-decide)."  Why did it select different rules for the two internet browsers?  Which rule is the best rule to apply to both internet browsers?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:39:53 PM by avastconspiracy »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »

Scott,

Success!  I uninstalled/reinstalled Avast.  Now, I no longer have an action message saying Windows could not find antivirus software.  Hopefully all is resolved.

You're welcome, even if I didn't quite give you the final solution :)

Logos

Yes it is true what I wrote.  I thought it was strange that the Avast/Iyogi people could not help me and suggested I buy some additional year-long service for $169.  I already have Dell 24/7 next day business support, and I just bought Avast 2 year/3pcs subscription, so I'm not looking to spend more money. When I said I wasn't interested, the Iyogi person said they couldn't help me any futher.  And that was that.

But I am happy now because it seems to be okay now because I no longer have a message that says Windows can't find antivirus software.

I understand now that it was a bit of a scare tactic from Iyogi, but I may still ask Dell support to go over the Event Viewer errors and warnings with me later on.

Regarding iYogi, have you emailed Adam Riley? (address in my post above)
He would like to hear about incidents like this, and to his credit, from reading his post on the forum he does act on the comments of the users.

This particular case is new for me, since that sounds very much (pretty much word for word regarding the event viewer) like the scam phone calls going on here...

I have another question now that I have uninstalled/reinstalled avast; but maybe its best I start a separate thread?  I don't know.  If you or Scott or Craig or Gonzo could tell me in this thread, I'd appreciate it.  If not, I'll start a new topic:

After I reinstalled, I got two pop ups from Avast (that I don't remember seeing when I first installed Avast) that said it had established new rules, one for internet explorer (when I opened it) and one from firefox (another pop up when I opened it). 

Under Application Rules, I see that rule for Internet explorer has been set to "Friends In and Internet Out (otherwise auto-decide)"; but for Firefox it has been set to "Friends in/out (otherwise auto-decide)."  Why did it select different rules for the two internet browsers?  Which rule is the best rule to apply to both internet browsers?

For your last question sorry, I'm a free loader, I have the free version No firewall for me ;D
(there are a lot of AIS users here though, so you will get an answer)

avastconspiracy

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 11:38:54 PM »

Scott,

Success!  I uninstalled/reinstalled Avast.  Now, I no longer have an action message saying Windows could not find antivirus software.  Hopefully all is resolved.

Logos

Yes it is true what I wrote.  I thought it was strange that the Avast/Iyogi people could not help me and suggested I buy some additional year-long service for $169.  I already have Dell 24/7 next day business support, and I just bought Avast 2 year/3pcs subscription, so I'm not looking to spend more money. When I said I wasn't interested, the Iyogi person said they couldn't help me any futher.  And that was that.

He would like to hear about incidents like this, and to his credit, from reading his post on the forum he does act on the comments of the users.

This particular case is new for me, since that sounds very much (pretty much word for word regarding the event viewer) like the scam phone calls going on here...

I have another question now that I have uninstalled/reinstalled avast; but maybe its best I start a separate thread?  I don't know.  If you or Scott or Craig or Gonzo could tell me in this thread, I'd appreciate it.  If not, I'll start a new topic:

Under Application Rules, I see that rule for Internet explorer has been set to "Friends In and Internet Out (otherwise auto-decide)"; but for Firefox it has been set to "Friends in/out (otherwise auto-decide)."  Why did it select different rules for the two internet browsers?  Which rule is the best rule to apply to both internet browsers?

For your last question sorry, I'm a free loader, I have the free version No firewall for me ;D

Scott,

I just emailed A.Riley.  If I get a response, I'll let you know.  I'll ask about the appropriate application rules for internet browsers in a new post a bit later.  Thanks again!   :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 01:07:23 AM »
Adam is usually quick to respond.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Adam Riley

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 08:24:04 AM »

Scott,

Success!  I uninstalled/reinstalled Avast.  Now, I no longer have an action message saying Windows could not find antivirus software.  Hopefully all is resolved.

Logos

Scott,

I just emailed A.Riley.  If I get a response, I'll let you know.  I'll ask about the appropriate application rules for internet browsers in a new post a bit later.  Thanks again!   :)

Good morning,

For anyone watching this post, I have replied directly to the OP and hope to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Best regards,
Adam Riley
avast! Third Party Support Manager