Author Topic: Internet Browsers Take A Long Time To Open. Is It Normal?  (Read 8843 times)

avastconspiracy

Internet Browsers Take A Long Time To Open. Is It Normal?
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:03:33 PM »
Hello,

I have a question I hope the board can help me with.  I have now 2 internet browsers:  internet explorer and mozilla firefox.  In my Avast sandbox settings, I have both of these "Processes currently running virtualized".  So when I open either one of them, I see a red  box around them.  The thing is, when I click to open them, it take a very long time for them to open.  Sometimes 1+--2+ minute.  Sometimes I wait, sometimes I click again.  If I click again it may open, but it may not have a red box around it.  And then another box will open a minute or two later (presumably from the first time I clicked to open the browser).  That other box usually has a red box around it. I'm wondering if there are some settings issues that I need to look at or is it normal to take so long to open an internet browser if its sandboxed?

Another issue I notice is the Google Toolbar.  It is also in the "Proceses currently running virtualized".  Is it supposed to be there?  I ask because sometimes, when I open a new tab, the Google Toolbar just disappears.  Should I remove the Google Toolbar from the "Processes currently running virtualized" list?

Ok, thank you very much for any help you can offer. :)

avastconspiracy

Re: Internet Browsers Take A Long Time To Open. Is It Normal?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 03:45:06 PM »
Hello,

I see that many people have seen my query; but no answers as of yet. If ok, could I ask if anyone has experienced the same as what I describe.  Just want to know if my browsers are working like they should in the sandbox feature.

Thank you in advance.

DavidCo

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 05:19:57 PM »
Specs of your PC might be helpful
Running virtualized does take more resources.
Your description however sounds odd
Try deleting the 'running virtualized' from the 2 browsers (within Avast and reboot
Test both browsers
Do a repair of Avast via 'add/remove' and reboot.
Test both browsers
Try running virtualized again

avastconspiracy

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »
Specs of your PC might be helpful
Running virtualized does take more resources.
Your description however sounds odd
Try deleting the 'running virtualized' from the 2 browsers (within Avast and reboot
Test both browsers
Do a repair of Avast via 'add/remove' and reboot.
Test both browsers
Try running virtualized again

David,

Thanks so much for your response.  Here are my specs:  Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 bit. Processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz and RAM is 4.00 GB (3.74 usable).

I've done what you advised.  When I removed the browsers from running virtualized, rebooted and ran the browsers outside of sandbox, I had no problem.  The browsers open up w/in a second or two.

I did the Avast repair, rebooted, and again ran the browsers unvirtualized. No problem.

Then I ran Firefox virtualized and it took 1min50sec for it to open up.  Then I clicked on Internet Explorer and it opened up w/in a second or two.  Strange.  So I clicked to open a new Firefox window.  It also opened up immediately.  I rebooted and tried this same test again w/same exact results.

I then rebooted and opened Internet Explorer virtualized FIRST. It took approximately 2 minutes to open up.  I clicked to open Firefox and it opened immediately, as did a 2nd click of Internet Explorer.

It seems that it takes sandbox about 2 minutes after the opening of browser for it to "fully load" and open the browser ??? Then after that it opens immediately? Is this how it is supposed to work?

DavidCo

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »
Nope
At least that test has cleared the decks so to speak.
It's almost as if there is some type of 'caching' going on
On the 1st run the process is cached & thereafter it is ok

The next obvious question is wether you have any other security apps (realtime) running

avastconspiracy

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »
Nope
At least that test has cleared the decks so to speak.
It's almost as if there is some type of 'caching' going on
On the 1st run the process is cached & thereafter it is ok

The next obvious question is wether you have any other security apps (realtime) running

The only other antivirus software I've had is Mcafee.  I uninstalled that before I installed Avast.  I also (recently) ran the MCPR tool which is supposed to fully uninstall. I do have Malwarebytes; but it is the free version with no realtime protection. I run the Malwarebytes scan every so often.  I do have Windows Defender and its turned on.  But I was told here that that doesn't conflict with Avast.

DavidCo

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
Hopefully someone else can chime in.
I don't know Win7
Can you add exclusions to Defender or disable it so as to rule out that possibility

TheCakeIsaLie

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 01:39:12 AM »
I would disable Defender and minimally rely on MS for any security settings...

avastconspiracy

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »
Hello,

I thought I would update this thread with the solution, as helpfully provided by Michael of avast's Support Center. It's simple really and I feel silly for not noticing before.  I needed to delete the sandbox temporary directory. Presumably it was full of stuff and I had failed to empty it since purchasing Avast.

FYI, to delete the sandbox temporary directory you: 

Open avast! UI | additional protection | sandbox | expert settings | web browsers | then click delete contents button and reboot.

Many thanks to Michal Vanek from avast! QA for this solution.  My browsers open up just fine now.