Author Topic: Avast 6 causes xp sp2 login/boot failure [ Solved ]  (Read 10446 times)

ullas

Avast 6 causes xp sp2 login/boot failure [ Solved ]
« on: July 14, 2011, 02:51:37 PM »
I have had this annoying problem for a while. i dont understand whether the avast 6 doesnt support sp2 version. Because whenever i updates to 6 version  windows crashes just before login , ie system fails to start.

I have to uninstall avast 6 from safe mode to get the system back to working . Is this a bug or something . It doesnt allow me to switch new version. pls help !!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 07:43:55 AM by ullas »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast 6 causes xp sp2 login/boot failure
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 03:11:11 PM »
avast6 does work on XP SP2 OS, do you get blue screens?
please send me a couple of the latests minidumps from \Windows\Minidump folder to kurtin@avast.com

thanks!

bobo1

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
REMOVE AVAST IN SAFE MODE AND INSTALL SP3 FROM WINDOWS UPDATE & RE INSTALL AVAST 6 .
Will work afterwards as needs to be in windows SP3 ONLY MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
IMPORTANT YOU NEED TO BE ON SP3 AS SEVERAL VIRUS LOOPHOLES HAVE BEEN FIXED ON SP3 ISSUE
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:45:36 PM by bobo1 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:38:18 PM »
Well I would tend to believe pk (one of the avast developers), that avast6 minimum requirement is XP SP2.

There is no more guarantee that avast6 would work afterwards because the OP had XP SP3 installed, than if he simply did a clean reinstall of avast6.

Whilst it is recommended that they have the latest SP and full security updates, it isn't a mandatory requirement for avast6.

You appear to be having problems with your CAPS LOCK KEY.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:54:35 PM »
You appear to be having problems with your CAPS LOCK KEY.
;D
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

ullas

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:41:43 PM »
No  what i meant by login failure is that i get bsod   when it has to show the login prompt..

Not problem with caps lock as i  cant type the passwords because of BSOD.

My system  is  Pentium 4  2.6 GHZ , 758 mb DDr ram . windows xp sp2 5.1 build 2600.
So system will be slow if i update to sp3 , but i agree with need to update.

BSOD shows problem with fltmgr.sys .   Dont know what its anyway.  

I will try to send the minidumps ..

i have sent the mini dump to kurtin@avast.com

Thanks!!

i have edited the dmp format to txt to post the  mini dump here
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:48:21 PM by ullas »

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:30:34 PM »
Not problem with caps lock as i  cant type the passwords because of BSOD.
The caps lock comment was not for you ;)
My system  is  Pentium 4  2.6 GHZ , 758 mb DDr ram . windows xp sp2 5.1 build 2600.
So system will be slow if i update to sp3 , but i agree with need to update.
One possibility would be to perform the update to SP3, but minimize any dispensable "multimedia" settings in Windows, so to try to compensate. Think this through before actually updating, because undoing the update might leave you more "mess".
BSOD shows problem with fltmgr.sys .   Dont know what its anyway. 
I will try to send the minidumps ..
It would be a good idea to put the minidumps together with a text file all into a zip. The text file should include a link to this topic, and it would be better if you post here the name of the zip after uploading it to the ftp incoming site.

ullas

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »
waht did you meant by uploading to ftp incoming site !!  didnt understand

thanks

ullas

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »
What did u meant by uploading to ftp ..  I didnt understand!!

Thanks

gogul808

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 11:48:55 PM »
well i have xp sp3 , I also had the bsod at the windows logo.Started my pc in debug mode after pressing f8 as it wouldn`t start in safe mode.Uninstalled avast  and my pc works fine again.I thought I`d download and reinstall again.As soon as my installation had finished it Bsod instantly lol.
So now i`m running my system without Avast until they sort this out as it`s clearly the software.

ullas

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 11:54:22 PM »
Same problem here  !

Have been trying to update my avast 5.1.864 from 6 version onwards.

But i have been able to remove new version from safe boot and install back to 5.1.864. it runs fine.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 12:00:20 AM »
@ullas, dump shows a crash in MS driver -- and I see you're using XP SP2 RC2, would you mind to upgrade XP to SP3 at least?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 12:23:43 AM »
What did u meant by uploading to ftp ..  I didnt understand!!

Thanks

Now that pk has got back to you he has obviously received the minidump files. For the future thei sis  what uploading to the avast ftp (file transfer protocol) incoming address means.

####
- Upload any minidump or memory.dmp files, zipped to reduce size.  Give the zip file you are uploading a unique name (e.g. forumusername-mem-dump.zip, etc), so they can identify it. It might not be a bad idea to create a text file (readme.txt) with any relevant information, avast topic URL, user name, etc. etc. in the zip file.

- Memory dump locations, Mini Dump files in, C:\Windows\Minidump\ - Full Kernel dump file, C:\windows\memory.dmp

Upload the zip file to the ftp server ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming:
- Using Internet Explorer, Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder.

Or

Upload it using the Run command-line in Windows: Windows Key + R (to get the run box), copy and paste this explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming and drag the file into the window, from another explorer window.

- First you have to create your zip file with the unique name, containing the dump files and the readme.txt file, before you even consider connection to the ftp location explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming. You do not have read permissions on the explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming location, so you won't see it has been uploaded.

Now you make your first windows explorer connection to the ftp link explorer ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming, now open another explorer window where you locate your unique zip file containing the dump and readme.txt files; drag and drop that file into the other explorer window (right hand side), no need to click enter or any other action.

well i have xp sp3 , I also had the bsod at the windows logo.Started my pc in debug mode after pressing f8 as it wouldn`t start in safe mode.Uninstalled avast  and my pc works fine again.I thought I`d download and reinstall again.As soon as my installation had finished it Bsod instantly lol.
So now i`m running my system without Avast until they sort this out as it`s clearly the software.

The problem being if you don't forward the dump files, they don't have the information to find the cause and sort it out as you say.

I have XP Pro SP3 and I haven't experienced any BSOD with any og the avast 6.0 beta builds or the regular releases, so not all XP systems are effected and that is why it is important to upload the dump files for analysis.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ullas

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 12:27:18 AM »
 Thanks For the detailed uploading info.. I will keep that in my mind for future purpose..

ullas

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 12:29:41 AM »
Well i have tried it before , but the system gets really   slow..   So i wont try to change to sp3  unless i buy a new PC..

Do u mean to say that the avast 6 wont work with my version of sp2..

well i have tried avast 5.1.889 now  . it also works fine. Problems with 6 onwards.

thanks