Poll

Which browser do you consider the safest?? (From all angles)

Internet Explorer
2 (7.1%)
Mozilla Firefox
13 (46.4%)
Opera
6 (21.4%)
Apple Safari
0 (0%)
Google Chrome
3 (10.7%)
Konqueror
0 (0%)
SeaMonkey
0 (0%)
Mosaic
0 (0%)
OTHER, PLEASE LIST!!!
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: What browser do you consider the safest?? (From all angles)  (Read 16608 times)

msgreyberry

For me, it will always be Firefox and then Chrome straight afterwards :D

To all who selected IE: you must be kidding, right? NO OFFENCE INTENDED. ALTHOUGH I MUST SAY, THE NEWSEST VERSION IS REALLY GOOD....BUT THE OLD ONES LIKE IE4 OR IE5.....eh.

It's not super-unsafe, but definietly not the safest. (in my opinion anyway)
It's worth noting though that it's the most used browser on the Net, and so a great target for hackers as it is full of vulnerabilities.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:32:02 AM by bostonlover »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What browser do you consider the safest?? (From all angles)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »
Sits back waiting for the bun fight to start.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 10:36:27 PM »
Lol, +1

Other: MOSAIC  ;D

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:10:18 PM »
I don't personally think that there is a "safest" browser, as it all depends on the amount of people using it...

Since IE comes pre-installed in windows, it will undoubtedly have the largest userbase, hence will be targeted the most and so you will hear about it the most. (In the same way that people think that macs don't get viruses - the userbase isn't worth targeting. Well...)

That is the main reason that I think IE is portrayed as the "least" secure...as opposed to it's actual security...

Each person has their own opinion on where to draw the line on function/safety, you can either cripple the browser, making it so that you have to allow certain things before you can really view the page (NoScript for example) or you can choose function over this as it can be tedious, slower to browse like that.

I personally take the NoScript, cripple the browser approach, but that is just me.

And anyway any browser that is backed up by avast's WebShield, no matter what, is the safest. ;D

eta carinae

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »
Firefox will always be the first and last browser I use. They actually update their browser to often now .A lot of their plugins I had with 4.1 dont work now with 5.  But its still Firefox with all their security features.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 11:23:21 PM »
I personally take the NoScript, cripple the browser approach, but that is just me.

You're not alone..! ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

msgreyberry

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 11:28:30 PM »
I don't personally think that there is a "safest" browser, as it all depends on the amount of people using it...

Since IE comes pre-installed in windows, it will undoubtedly have the largest userbase, hence will be targeted the most and so you will hear about it the most. (In the same way that people think that macs don't get viruses - the userbase isn't worth targeting. Well...)

That is the main reason that I think IE is portrayed as the "least" secure...as opposed to it's actual security...

Each person has their own opinion on where to draw the line on function/safety, you can either cripple the browser, making it so that you have to allow certain things before you can really view the page (NoScript for example) or you can choose function over this as it can be tedious, slower to browse like that.

And anyway any browser that is backed up by avast's WebShield, no matter what, is the safest. ;D

"And anyway any browser that is backed up by avast's WebShield, no matter what, is the safest. ;D"

+1

Yes, IE's userbase is very high, due to popularity of Windows....if IE only had AdBlock Plus and NoScript....then the chances that I would switch back to IE would increase by 300% (some people switched to Firefox just because of these two add-ons.)

Not sure if I still want to switch back to IE after using Google Chrome and FF non stop...hmm....

Whilst I was talking about "safest" browser, I also meant the one with the least vulnerabilities, one that cannot be easily to take advantage of. 'cos these types of browsers are sure to not be very safe....aren't I right? )

msgreyberry

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
Lol, +1

Other: MOSAIC  ;D

Ooops...Almost forgot about Mosaic!
And hell, I posted Netscape...
Must be that hour of the day.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 11:44:21 PM »
+1

But Internet Explorer 9  ;D
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

msgreyberry

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 11:45:57 PM »
+1

But Internet Explorer 9  ;D

Internet Explorer 9?? WOW....
Must've been too forgetful to fully check out the newest version.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 12:22:57 AM »
BlackHawk Web Browser is an efficient, user friendly web browser, without any bloat inside.

We love Chrome and Firefox web browsers, so we try to put best of Chrome speed and Firefox practical functionality together

http://www.netgate.sk/blackhawk/help/welcome-to-blackhawk-web-browser.html

Anything has to be better than FF. ::)

Gargamel360

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 12:44:25 AM »
Anything has to be better than FF. ::)
Ahh, the first bun has been cast...... ::)

btw, the Mosaic thing was not serious, I don't think anyone will begrudge you not including it in the poll (I was surprised you included Netscape, actually, which lead me to think, "what is older than Netscape?....) ;)

Dch48

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 12:53:17 AM »
I had to vote other because I feel that at this time, the big three, IE9, Firefox, and Chrome are pretty much equal but  Firefox only if you install a few addons. Out of the box in it's default installation, Firefox is the least secure of the three. I would never use anything like No Script because I do not want to cripple my browser. Even ads don't bother me. Sometimes they're the best thing on a page lol. I do use AdBlock in Chrome though but do not block the text ads in Google searches.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 12:57:40 AM by Dch48 »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 01:11:27 AM »
Is there no end to useless, mindless polls?  ???
I chose FF. v ;D
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 01:59:12 AM »
For me, it will always be Firefox and then Chrome straight afterwards :D

To all who selected IE: you must be kidding, right?

It's not super-unsafe, but definietly not the safest. (in my opinion anyway)
It's worth noting though that it's the most used browser on the Net, and so a great target for hackers as it is full of vulnerabilities.

The bun fight started here in post #1. ;D

To all who selected IE: you must be kidding, right?