Author Topic: Question about Avast! virus definition updates  (Read 3846 times)

Offline catinahat

Question about Avast! virus definition updates
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:21:39 PM »
Hi. I'm a new avast! free user and this is my first time posting in the forum.

Just one thing I'd like to check.... I notice that I get virus definition file updates about twice per 24hrs. What I wondered is, if I have the computer turned off for several days, and then run an update on re-boot - will I get all the files I missed on the days my machine was powered of as well? Or just the latest one? (NB I'm not talking about programme updates here, just VDFs and engine updates).

I couldn't find the answer in the user manual or in a (brief) forum search, so thought I'd seek clarification this way.

Thanks.  :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Question about Avast! virus definition updates
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:28:41 PM »
What I wondered is, if I have the computer turned off for several days, and then run an update on re-boot - will I get all the files I missed on the days my machine was powered of as well?

Yes.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline catinahat

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 12:32:38 PM »
Ah good to know. I thought that would be the case, but just wanted to be sure as I do often have my computer off for long periods.

Thanks heaps Asyn. :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »
Thanks heaps Asyn. :)

You're welcome..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »
One other note - if it's been quite a while since your last def update, be prepared for the possibility that avast might decide to replace your entire defs database (currently somewhere around 30 megs) rather than do a massive set of incremental updates.  I forget what the time "limit", or cutoff point, is but it's been mentioned in other threads here.

(Edit) I don't think need worry about that if you've only been offline a couple of days, as you said -- it's probably more like a couple of weeks (or more) before avast switches to "plan B".
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:36:07 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »
One other note - if it's been quite a while since your last def update, be prepared for the possibility that avast might decide to replace your entire defs database (currently somewhere around 30 megs) rather than do a massive set of incremental updates.  I forget what the time "limit", or cutoff point, is but it's been mentioned in other threads here.

(Edit) I don't think need worry about that if you've only been offline a couple of days, as you said -- it's probably more like a couple of weeks (or more) before avast switches to "plan B".

@MikeBCda,

Technically, you may be correct. But I don't think that catinahat was actually interested in the specific antivirus database files, or their sizes or download times.

If I understood correctly, what the OP was interested about was whether Avast will update its protection to the most up-to-date status, independently of performing/applying "each" partial update, twice a day.

The final result is the same, whether you update the database each and every time, or you leave your system powered off for 2 weeks. Once Avast connects to the Internet, it attempts to update to the most up-to-date database status (if you use "automatic" database updates, the default). In other words, no need to worry about this.

Offline catinahat

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:36:39 PM »
@ MikeBCda - Thanks for that info. That's good to know too. It would be rare for me to have the PC off for weeks rather than days, but might happen if I go on holiday or something, so I shall bear that in mind when I update that it could be a large download.

@ady4um - Thanks for the reply. My question was as asyn interpreted it - that I shan't miss out on any VDFs and engine updates if I turn off my computer for days/weeks; asyn confirmed that I shall get all of the updates I missed while the computer was off plus the most recent VDF update when I re-boot and run an update. I think that is what you are saying in your reply too?

I think MikeBCda was just warning me that if it had been a really long time I might get a much larger than expected download of the entire defs database, and that this would be considered normal. That's useful to know too.

Thanks all. Appreciate the input from seasoned avast! users.

Jack 1000

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:58:36 PM »

Mike,

If the entire database for Avast needed to be updated after several weeks of not using your computer, what would a user see during this process?

Jack

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 08:35:19 PM »
Mike,

If the entire database for Avast needed to be updated after several weeks of not using your computer, what would a user see during this process?

Jack
Sorry, don't remember if you'd see anything unusual, it would just take significantly longer than usual, since if your defs are more or less up to date to start with then a standard incremental update is typically only a few dozen KB.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent