Author Topic: Online banking  (Read 7992 times)

mabinogion

Online banking
« on: July 15, 2011, 02:19:04 PM »
Hi
I am new to this forum so please excuse me - I would like to know if using online banking would Avast (free) and Zone Alarm (free) be secure enough to just pay bills and transfer money just ordinary banking etc.
Thanks

DavidCo

Re: Online banking
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »
IMO
No. I don't think there is a 100% solution 100% of the time
Perhaps add Trusteer Rapport for an effective 'tunnel', it's free I think
Security is all about layers and starts between your ears ;D

MAG

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:32:49 PM »
I agree with DavidCo. The biggest threat to the security of online banking seems to me to be social engineering scams - ie tricking you into revelaing your logon details on a fake site.

Trusteer Rapport should go a long way toward stopping this (provided you set it up to protect the real site in the first place of course)!

The other main threat I suspect is from keyloggers. Rapport says it prevents these on its protected sites too.

Keyscrambler is another free option for this I suppose.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »
It depends on who your bank is, of course, but the vast majority of them make a point of letting you know they will never email you asking for personal info, ID confirmation, or the like.  So any such email is definitely a fake and should be trashed -- better yet, first forward a copy to the bank if they're set up to do their own internet investigations.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

MAG

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »
It depends on who your bank is, of course, but the vast majority of them make a point of letting you know they will never email you asking for personal info, ID confirmation, or the like.
Yes they do - and thousands of people still get scammed!

The best one I've had said:

'Yourbank Ltd is revising its security procedures. Please go to the following link and change your password.

PS - if you do not bank with Yourbank, please accept our apologies and ignore this e-mail'

::)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:12:41 PM by mag »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »
As you are using free versions of both avast and Zone Alarm I would suggest you do very little banking online if any. The reasons for this is neither one has a so-called "banking or safe zone." These are available only in the paid versions. As far as Zone Alarm goes, I would get rid of it as Zone Alarm has caused and/or created conflicts with avast! I recommend you download and install one of the following.

http://download.cnet.com/Online-Armor-Free/3000-10435_4-10426782.html?tag=mncol;1
http://download.cnet.com/Agnitum-Outpost-Security-Suite-Free/3000-18510_4-75328020.html?tag=mncol;1
http://download.cnet.com/Privatefirewall/3000-10435_4-10371057.html  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

DavidCo

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 10:14:55 PM »
I think that it should be mentioned that a lot of banks are offering the free download of Trusteer.
IMO the last good ZoneAlarm was V2.6

timcan

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »
Hi
I am new to this forum so please excuse me - I would like to know if using online banking would Avast (free) and Zone Alarm (free) be secure enough to just pay bills and transfer money just ordinary banking etc.
Thanks

Hi, IMO yes. I've done it for years now.
Just be sure it's the correct web address and is https.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 12:43:22 AM »
Hi
Thanks

Hi, IMO yes. I've done it for years now.
Just be sure it's the correct web address and is https.
+!

Which means I agree
printed on 100% recycled bytes

mabinogion

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 01:01:13 AM »
Thanks for your replies ~ I have tried to install the Kaspersky free programme sent to me from my own Bank but I cannot install it because it keeps telling my that Avast is on my pc and to make sure I remove it first well I have tried a few times to remove it so I can install Kaspersky and would then install Avast again but it just wouldn't work so I have just got Avast now at the moment.  I never answer any emails from Banks which I have had a few over the last few weeks from LLoyds and HSBC asking me to enter my Membership details etc but I just delete them.
So out of the ones you have all mentioned (free) which one would work well with Avast as I want to keep this program as I got rid of AVG as it was so slow and think this Avast is great. I just need another one for Banking etc.
ps. How to I edit my profile on here as I can't find out how to do it?)
Thanks

mabinogion

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 01:45:14 AM »
Hi
I have also looked at the links you have given above and not sure where is's safe to download the Trusteer Rapport program from as I haven't been sent a link from my Bank for that one only Kaspersky which I have said above I cannot install.
Thanks again.

Nesivos

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 01:50:29 AM »
Trusteer Malware

July 14, 2011 05:17pm EST

International Cybercrime Ring Targets Android
By Sara Yin

Zeuss for Android

The international cybercrime ring known as ZeuS or ZBOT has created a variant of its bank information-stealing malware for Android mobile operating systems.

When downloaded, either through a fake survey (see pic below) or the Android Market, the malware disguises itself as a piece of banking security software from Trusteer, called Rapport. After a user installs the malware, an icon for "Trusteer Rapport" shows up on their homescreen (left).

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388531,00.asp

mabinogion

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 02:24:28 AM »
Thanks I am even more confused now so not sure what to download and what not to regarding this. I have just downloaded the 'Private Firewall' program as suggested above but there is a free program amongst it called ID Vault asking to activate it ~ it says You have ID Vault Free Edition and it's supposed to keep all my online accounts protected ~ only I have access to my encrypted passwords ~ and I never have to remember a password as they are all under lock and key ~ so not sure what that lot is going so think I will uninstall it all.
 :'(

Offline Bluemeanie

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 04:27:42 PM »
Would the safe zone in Avast offer a significant improvement with online banking?

Nesivos

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 05:10:25 PM »
Would the safe zone in Avast offer a significant improvement with online banking?

Safezone was designed to secure on-line banking among other things.

Alternatively if you prefer not to use Safezone to access your bank's website you can be secure when you access the bank's website if:

1. Your bank uses a "HTTPS" URL.
2. You use a unique password to access the bank's website
3. You change the password frequently
4. You only access the website directly and never form a link
5. You use the latest version of either IE, Google or Firefox
6. You can access the bank's website without allowing 3rd party cookies, but this may not be possible. If not then you should delete all cookies after leaving the bank's website.
7. You make sure that Java and Flash are kept current on your computer.

You should be secure in accessing the bank's website