Author Topic: TDL 4. Is it there or a misread by ComboFix?  (Read 23853 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: TDL 4. Is it there or a misread by ComboFix?
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2011, 11:32:51 AM »
Correct, if your MBR was reset to standard then if you need to restore your computer to factory settings, it would fail as the necessary information would no longer exist 

ss10000

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »
Can we conclude that there is no TDL4 on my computer and my computer is clean?

By the way, I am not aware of the recovery ability of Dell MBR. Do you know by chance how to use it?

I don't remember when but it did happen that I suddenly have two more local drives on my computer besides the C:\. The computer generated them on its own sometime after I had only one local drive for at least two years. Are they the recovery partition you talk about?

Thank you everyone.

ss10000

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »
Taken from a Dell forum
you can access your Dell’s recovery partition by pressing Ctrl+F11 when the machine is first turned on. The appropriate time to do this is almost immediately after the power button is pressed. A small message is usually displayed that offers to let you enter the BIOS (usually F2 on newer Dells) or go to the boot menu (F8 or F10, I think; it displays the appropriate key to press).

So, assuming that the partition that the recovery image is saved to hasn’t been deleted for some reason, or that the master boot record hasn’t been altered from the factory settings then the Dell System Recovery software will load and you will be given the option to reimage your drive. Their software is basically just a rebranded version of Norton’s Ghost or some other similar imaging software.

Do keep in mind that if you decide to reimage your machine that all of the data that was on your hard drive will be lost. The machine will be exactly as it was when you first purchased it – meaning that any saved documents, movies, music, settings, programs installed by yourself, etc will be gone.

ss10000

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 12:40:30 AM »
Thank you very much for all your help.

But can I do e-commerce on my computer now? Is it ok?

ss10000

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2011, 08:58:52 PM »
As a matter of prudence I would recommend that you change all your sensitive passwords just in case they were gathered.  Although I saw no indication of that

ss10000

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2011, 03:51:34 AM »
Thank you Essexboy and everybody who helps. Thank you very much.

ss10000