Author Topic: Keepass and Avast  (Read 3863 times)

xation

Keepass and Avast
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »
Hey guys, I'm looking for a way to implement the security of safezone with the password database of Keepass. I need this database for my banking, since all my passwords are highly encrypted, and I thought using SafeZone for what it really SHOULD be used for would be a good change and additionial security.

So, I followed the following steps:

1 Made a keypass database

2 Set a high dictionary size

3 When you're creating your entry, there's a 'tools' option

4 Go to "Select application"

5 I navigated to C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\sfzone\SafeZoneBrowser.exe

6 Pressed "Go to URL", the browser then starts in the chromium window, but the window becomes unresponsive.

So basically, is there any way for me to put my keypass database in avast's safezone?

Thanks

Gargamel360

Re: Keepass and Avast
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:12:41 AM »
Probably not....password managers for Safe Zone have come up before.  But SafeZone will not permit interactions with items that are outside SafeZone.  Thats part of how it was designed to be, to shield your online transactions and such from undetected keyloggers and other identity theft methods that might be already present on your system.

So unless Avast! makes its own password manager for SafeZone, you are probably stuck remembering your passwords the old fashioned way for whatever logins you make within it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Keepass and Avast
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:30:03 AM »
The short answer is no, as the keypass database is in/on your regular desktop and the safe zone is another completely isolated desktop, it is this isolation that brings its strength, the key strokes, etc. can't be monitored from outside the safe zone.

Essentially the safe zone would be used for on-line banking and other such sites and not normal browsing. So I don't think that there would be many user names and passwords needed.

For other general browsing you could have the default browser sandboxed.

I don't know if there are any plans to have something like keypass as a functioning part of the safe zone in the future.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security