Author Topic: Unauthorized changes to Windows?  (Read 2137 times)

Chilly8

Unauthorized changes to Windows?
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »

I noticed the topic about Avast and possible problems with "Unauthorized Changes To Windows". I just got that error message for the first time today. I am going to experiment with shutting down and disabling Windows Update, and see what happens. Windows Update often times downloads stuff to verify that Product Activation was not tampered with, and Avast 6 must clash with one of those verification tools that Windows Update downloads, so I am experimenting with disabling the Windows Update Service and seeing what happens. So I would recommend to other Avast users that are having this problem that, after re-installing Windows, shutting down and disabling Windows Updates, before installing Avast. That just might solve the problem.

With a good anti-virus program such as Avast, Windows Update would be quite redundant I would think, since Avast would protect you from malware and viruses.

DarkMasters

Re: Unauthorized changes to Windows?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:07:33 PM »
With a good anti-virus program such as Avast, Windows Update would be quite redundant I would think, since Avast would protect you from malware and viruses.

Windows update meant to update your OS, problem fixing, security update, your other Windows application update or bugfix (e.g. Ms Office, Windows Live, Ms Visual Studio, IE, Ms Silverlight, etc).

There's nothing redundant when it comes to updating your OS either it's Windows, Linux, or OSX.

Chilly8

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:46:13 AM »

There's nothing redundant when it comes to updating your OS either it's Windows, Linux, or OSX.

Microsoft is getting very sneaky. I turned off and disabled Windows Updating, and somehow, that verification toll still got in and mucked Windows up. The problem stopped when I went into safe mode and uninsalled Avast. Microsoft's verification tools and Avast still clash with each other.

And this was with the very latest available update for Avast.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 09:57:46 AM »
Please update avast to the latest version and install Vista SP2 -- there was fixed a compatibility issue between avast and Vista SP0/SP1 OS (and I see you use this system from your last forum posts).