Author Topic: Cannot load website with Web Shield turns on  (Read 3703 times)

ahhyat

Cannot load website with Web Shield turns on
« on: July 16, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »
hi all,

i am using windows 7 with avast(version 6.0.1203).
after i update the system to service pack 1, website cannot be loaded.
if i turn off the Web Shield function, there is no problem to load website.
i don't want to turn off the web shield function, how can i fix this problem?

thank you very much!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot load website with Web Shield turns on
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »
Your SP1 update may have messed with the settings - Try a repair of avast:
Win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

If that doesn't make any difference it may be avast that is being blocked:
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again. avast.setup
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ahhyat

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 05:23:26 AM »
Your SP1 update may have messed with the settings - Try a repair of avast:
Win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

If that doesn't make any difference it may be avast that is being blocked:
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again. avast.setup

thanks for your suggestions.
i have tried to repair the avast but still can't fix the problem.
and i am using PC tools firewall plus, i haved checked it allows avastsvc.exe internet access.
if i uninstall the SP1, there is no problem to load website.

ahhyat

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:36:43 PM »
i just search for some old posts and find the following settings

click settings on the top right
click troubleshooting
click redirect settings
remove everything in every slot
uncheck ignore local communication

websites can be loaded with the above setting
but i find that the avast doesn't scan the web
i check the web shield traffic and there is 0 page scanned

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »
Effectively all you have done is a long winded method of disabling the avast web shield, it affords you no protection now nothing is being scanned.

By uncheking the Ignore local communication you would actually have the web shield try to scan internal traffic, but since you have removed all the redirects that traffic won't be scanned (as would be the case with leaving the option checked).

Did you actually try what I suggested in deleting the entries if they were allowed in the firewall ?

Not that it will be much good since you have effectively disabled the web shield anyway. So you would have to reverse the changes you made.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ahhyat

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 05:58:36 PM »
Effectively all you have done is a long winded method of disabling the avast web shield, it affords you no protection now nothing is being scanned.

By uncheking the Ignore local communication you would actually have the web shield try to scan internal traffic, but since you have removed all the redirects that traffic won't be scanned (as would be the case with leaving the option checked).

Did you actually try what I suggested in deleting the entries if they were allowed in the firewall ?

Not that it will be much good since you have effectively disabled the web shield anyway. So you would have to reverse the changes you made.

yes, i tried to delete the avastsvc.exe entry in the firewall but it does not ask the permission again, so i add the entry by myself, but cannot solve the problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »
I don't know what version of the PC Tools Firewall that you have, but there have been problems with it before, so ensure that you have the latest version.

ahhyat

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
I don't know what version of the PC Tools Firewall that you have, but there have been problems with it before, so ensure that you have the latest version.

the problem is fixed! thank you very much!!!!
i updated the firewall to the latest version and the problem is solved.
 ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 01:25:13 PM »
You're welcome.