Author Topic: Computer wont start after update D:  (Read 8637 times)

briand18

Computer wont start after update D:
« on: July 16, 2011, 05:26:10 PM »
After the new avast update all my programs just shut down and google chrome said "aw snap". I could not shut the computer down and was forced to shut it down manually. After it restarted I can NOT get pass the loading screen, it just stays there; even safe mode it gets stuck. I have tried everything from "last known working roll back" or w/e it's called. I have tried re seating my ram, did hardware checks and everything passes. I tried wiping the whole computer but my cd drive is not working either now and I know it worked because I just burnt cd's for my moms wedding. So I am hoping you guys have another solution that I have not thought of, I have been at this for 10 hours.

I am using Windows XP Professional 4GB ram. Oh and one of the ram slots do not work anymore. I know it was avast because the second that update notice came up, it all closed out and I also noticed I am not the only one having the same problems.

briand18

Re: Computer wont start after update D:
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 07:00:10 PM »
Anyone?

bobo1

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 09:23:30 PM »
Can you access the computer bios? DEL OR F1 or other function key and reset to default configuration?
Sounds like motherboard or other hardware device has failed!
Try setting cd rom as first boot device, HDD AS SECOND.
Then you should be able to boot of your xp cd
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:26:43 PM by bobo1 »

briand18

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:07:49 PM »
Can you access the computer bios? DEL OR F1 or other function key and reset to default configuration?
Sounds like motherboard or other hardware device has failed!
Try setting cd rom as first boot device, HDD AS SECOND.
Then you should be able to boot of your xp cd

Yes, I did set to default and I did set up the boot sequence like that. The hard drive test passed, so what else could it be? Also it is not the CD because I tried it on another computer and it worked.

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:13:44 PM »
AV problem could be responsible for many strange problems.  CD/DVD-Rom failure is not one of them.  In the midst of re-seating the RAM, might you have bumped something?  If everything is failing, I would also think about checking the power supply.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:15:16 PM by Gargamel360 »

briand18

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:30:30 PM »
AV problem could be responsible for many strange problems.  CD/DVD-Rom failure is not one of them.  In the midst of re-seating the RAM, might you have bumped something?  If everything is failing, I would also think about checking the power supply.

I have re seated all the ram and then I made sure everything was in order. What do you mean by checking the power supply?

bobo1

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 08:52:51 PM »
Can you use a windows xp cd and try and boot off it?. You should get a message on your screen PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT OF CD & RUN WINDOWS SETUP?
IF CD drive is first boot device you have to put the CD in it first and press power button after.

Gargamel360

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 08:57:29 PM »
It was a shot in the dark, based on the Disc drive failing along with the other problem.

Can you use a windows xp cd and try and boot off it?. You should get a message on your screen PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT OF CD & RUN WINDOWS SETUP?
IF CD drive is first boot device you have to put the CD in it first and press power button after.
Good idea to try also, and I think XP disc also has some kind of repair option in it also, if I remember correctly (I'm one of a very scant minority who has never owned XP, so I'm not 100% sure).

Also, whats your SP?

briand18

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »

I tried, it wont work but I know the cd works because I tried it on my other computer.

briand18

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 09:09:48 PM »
It was a shot in the dark, based on the Disc drive failing along with the other problem.

Good idea to try also, and I think XP disc also has some kind of repair option in it also, if I remember correctly (I'm one of a very scant minority who has never owned XP, so I'm not 100% sure).

Also, whats your SP?

SP?

briand18

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 09:13:05 PM »
Never mind. My service pack is number 3.

bobo1

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 09:18:01 PM »
If you can boot from xp cd rom. Then you can repair windows xp on top of it.
By reading that one ram slot is dead still sounds like motherboard fault. (Did you use anti static precautions ie grounding wrist strap (cmos chips get damaged by static electricity) then it wil be fryed!!!!!!!!

briand18

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »
If you can boot from xp cd rom. Then you can repair windows xp on top of it.
By reading that one ram slot is dead still sounds like motherboard fault. (Did you use anti static precautions ie grounding wrist strap (cmos chips get damaged by static electricity) then it wil be fryed!!!!!!!!

The ram went bad after I had to force shut it down. And yes I did use the wrist strap and with power off and unplugged.