Author Topic: avoutext.dll error in Outlook plugin  (Read 4394 times)

reggi837

avoutext.dll error in Outlook plugin
« on: August 12, 2003, 05:18:45 PM »
hi,
after updating to version 4 I had the "avoutext.dll cannot be loaded/started" error as mentioned in the FAQ:

---
Q: When I start Outlook a message window pops up saying that avoutext.dll cannot be loaded/started. What to do?

A:
Close MS Outlook.
Delete avast32 item in
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions registry via REGEDIT.EXE
Search for and delete all extend.dat files.
---

I found this advice misleading:

1. the registration key did not exist on my machine (which is why initially, I did not proceed to the next step - which actually solves the problem)
2. At first it is unclear wether to search the registry or the HD for "extend.dat"

jan

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:avoutext.dll error in Outlook plugin
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 06:34:49 PM »
What registration key are you talking about?

Anyway, for an explanation of why deleting the file helps, please check out my post in this thread: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=155;start=0

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 07:16:55 PM »
I guess reggi was just trying to say that the instructions are not completely clear (to an average user):
1. What to do if the registry key mentioned on the second line of the answer does not exists? Continue with the third line or something is wrong?
2. Should the extend.dat files be searched and deleted on the hard disk, or in the registry?

reggi837

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 11:00:42 AM »
I guess reggi was just trying to say that the instructions are not completely clear (to an average user):
1. What to do if the registry key mentioned on the second line of the answer does not exists? Continue with the third line or something is wrong?
2. Should the extend.dat files be searched and deleted on the hard disk, or in the registry?
yes, that's what I meant, and as I may add, I consider myself to be an advanced user, so mayby AWIL should consider making the FAQ entry a bit more verbose (the posting Vlk mentioned above is what would have spared me some trouble, if i'd found it earlier :( ).

jan

« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 11:01:28 AM by reggi837 »

Kaleus

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 11:10:06 AM »
yes, that's what I meant, and as I may add, I consider myself to be an advanced user, so mayby AWIL should consider making the FAQ entry a bit more verbose (the posting Vlk mentioned above is what would have spared me some trouble, if i'd found it earlier :( ).

jan

ALWIL  ::)