Author Topic: Avast Possibly missed a Virus  (Read 4021 times)

bikemanAMD

Avast Possibly missed a Virus
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:36:28 PM »
Hi There

Family PC, Intel Atom, anyways was going into standby mode constantly, wouldn't stay up, acer support said most likely  a virus, did a scan with Avast both in XP and boot scan, found nothing, so i ended up just factory restoring, well now family scared of using Avast again, and had me insall a competitive product...

Just wondering since avast always updated, what the heck it missed, and if i ever switch back to Avast, how to solve issues like that

Machine is XP SP3

Still will check out new Avast builds, and may even come back to it in the future

any ideas is appreciative

All machines was running free antivirus version 6.0.1203

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 11:45:09 PM by bikemanAMD »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast Possibly missed a Virus
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:07:24 AM »
Anything to work with..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 12:14:54 AM »
Well no AV has a 100 percent detection rate tbh, if you keep switching AV's every time that it fails to catch something then you will be switching them all the time. Next time you get infected, come to this forum and there are helpers here that will help you get it cleaned up. 

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:16:26 AM »
Could be you weren't even infected though but some other software error occurred.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 12:23:21 AM »
I'm surprised Acer are saying it may be malware as the Atom would have some pretty conservative power saving options. You should be able to do a custom power

Check and see what your power saving options are.

I have an Acer Aspire One win7 netbook, with a dual core Atom processor and I have that set to go into standby at the drop of a hat to conserve battery power.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:39:45 AM »
@bikemanAMD,

So, let's see what you HAD.

You had "some" problem. Someone said, with no actual test or check, that it "could" be a virus (or a monster, or dark magic :o :P ).

You got back to "zero", so "any" problem was erased, whether it was a virus, or maybe just a simple bad setting in Windows Control Panel, or even a hardware problem (or nothing).

Since "all" problems seem to went away, and no even one person actually KNOWS what happened (not even tested/checked it), "let's assume", with no actual knowledge nor clue, that something that we don't understand (like dark magic, or some virus) is the only cause of the problem your family thinks you had.

Let's go further. If there is a possibility that something like dark magic, a monster or a virus was the problem, we shouldn't think that the original suggestion might be not related at all. We should even think that the real problem is that virus. Instead, let's assume all that is correct, and without any clue or real test we for certain and without any doubts should find that "Avast" is the real problem, not the virus!

Of course, these words may not be directed to you in particular :). I am just using the "logic" that *I* would use in your position so to explain the issue to your family.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:49:55 AM »
Guess we have to trust Acer support here, as they said "most likely"... ;D
ROFL ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline jvidal

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 03:15:14 AM »
FWIW, Avast misses a  LOT of viruses (not that's related to this topic, just reminded me).
I usually receive 2 to 3 fake postcards a day and avast usually detects only about 50% of them.
I think that response to new viruses should be faster. I keep those files and find that avast
only detects them several days, sometimes weeks after I received them.

Just yestarday I had to clean PC infected with one of those "postcard" viruses and avast didn't detect absolutely anything.

Gargamel360

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 04:27:06 AM »
I think that response to new viruses should be faster.
So buy a paid version, so they can hire more analysts.  Everyone wants them to respond faster, which means more $$$, and if enough people keep saying this, they just might look to alternative methods to making the cash.  Look at fast-responding Avira and what they decided to do.  

Over 100 million of users vs. over 100 employees, yeah, they get swamped sometimes.  But be careful what you wish for, is all I'm saying.

and maybe if your email wasn't public on forums, you wouldn't get 2-3 fake postcards a day

bikemanAMD

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 04:32:44 AM »
Yeah i dont' know what it was still, online scan found nothing, Microsofts stand alone system sweeper nothing, Avast said all was clean on there, so i guess i paniced a bit and went for a full reinstall, since family wanted me to contact Acer on that

I guess whatever it is is gone now or hopefully lol

I know i should've asked here first though, before trusting Acer support, who knows if our new antivirus solution will do well or not (Microsoft Security Essentials, I bet we actually lowered our proection possibly, but i don't know, just been a hectic day and a half reloading that Pc with everything)

Plus the Problem Pc wasn't one i normally use, so i had no idea what family actually did on it, what sites they went to or anything, all i ever checked on it was that Avast was up to date and Windows, and Plugins..I'm not a Noob Computer user, except i think i paniced too much then, and overreacted probably alot, most likely had nothing to do with Avast actually at all.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:03:17 AM by bikemanAMD »

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 05:15:54 AM »
...except i think i paniced too much then, and overreacted probably alot, most likely had nothing to do with Avast actually at all.

So, no other antivirus detected something strange going on, just like Avast. Maybe that should be part of the explanation to your family?

As with other situations, it seems to be easier to find someone to blame. YEEEAAAHHH  >:( LET'S KILL AVAST TEAM!!! LET'S KILL THEM ALL!!! >:(

Seriously now, maybe that's a lesson to learn, not only about computers.

Gargamel360

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 05:59:05 AM »
YEEEAAAHHH  >:( LET'S KILL AVAST TEAM!!! LET'S KILL THEM ALL!!! >:(
LOL, I don't think moving to another vendor and burning software teams at the stake are quite the same. ;D