Author Topic: Disabling Shields in an effort to get some speed...Desperate for help  (Read 6314 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Disabling Shields in an effort to get some speed...Desperate for help
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 03:15:03 PM »
You have noted ie9 a few times, and said you're running XP.  9 is for Vista and 7, but not for XP on the MS download site. 

Good point Jim..!
IE9 doesn't run on XP.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

KPaw

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 02:51:00 AM »
My mistake and a stupid one.  IE 8 (9 is on my laptop).  Very sorry.

So I was told to do the following and I have done it all except I don't have a ALWIL Software file...so where do these replacement files go????  Thank you.

ap2011-17-07-002: Patch for slowdown with RAXCO PerfectDisk/Retrospect/Norton Ghost software, Windows XP only! (Free/Pro/IS)

1) Disable avast! self-defense module (Settings -> Troubleshooting -> Enable avast! self-defense module)
2) Download 32-bit or 64-bit package and unpack *.sys and *.sum files into \Windows\System32\drivers and \Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast\setup\inf folders (overwite existing)
3) Enable avast! self-defense module and reboot

NOTE: the patch is intended for build 6.0.1203 and it will invalidate itself with new program update

KPaw

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 02:58:15 AM »
OK, I found the setup\inf folders; however, "paste" is greyed out and it won't let me past the files!

Now what do I do???

Thank you again sooo much.

ady4um

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 03:39:05 AM »
OK, I found the setup\inf folders; however, "paste" is greyed out and it won't let me past the files!

Now what do I do???

Thank you again sooo much.
"ALWIL Software" = "AVAST Software" for Avast 6.

If you disabled the defense module of Avast AND you have administrative permissions, you should be able to copy those files to those locations according to the instructions.

smokin3.0

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 03:54:31 AM »
Since both KPaw and smokin3.0 are using XP, I'd like to ask if you notice any reduced performance when you are not using any web browser.

It has been reported that the latest stable version of Avast ( 6.0.1203 ) has some problems under XP with some defraggers and some other intensive-disk-activity tools. The problem seems to be already found, and there is a patch available for such situation.

If the performance of other activities (not web browser) is acceptable / normal (read as "the HDD led is not working ALL the time and almost all is NOT really slow"), then the problem is something else (and I apologize for the OT then).

An alternative would be to use a previous stable version of Avast ( 6.0.1125 or 5.1.889 for example ) to see if it happens under that versions too.

yes i still see reduced performance if I'm not using my default browser firefox, my astraweb newsgroup subscription maxes out at around 25mb/s with shields on and in the 90mb/s with them off.
i think i might format again and install ubuntu for the HTPC, web browsing I'm happy with the DL speeds just not with the NTTP
I've also just tried to disable the NTTP shield with no change had to disable them all for full speed.

KPaw

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 05:10:22 AM »
Okay,  Success I believe ...  
I finally was able to install the patch as per the instructions I was given (in my previous post), rebooted and I have speed back...I just did a quick test and IE runs properly now at its normal speed.  I have all the shields enabled also.  Prior to downloading the patch, I ran the remove utility on Avast's website for my previous anti-virus program but had no result with that.. so the patch did it,

I'll check further tomorrow but a HUGE thank you to everyone who helped me out and to Petr Kurtin who sent me the updated patch.  

UPDATE:  Everything functionning just fine!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:18:51 PM by KPaw »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
You're welcome..!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0