Author Topic: 1203 XP patch has been updated  (Read 7303 times)

Offline davexnet

• Poster
1203 XP patch has been updated
« on: July 18, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »
http://public.avast.com/~kurtin/patches/

Specifically, the xp free version 32-bit.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Drubi

Re: 1203 XP patch has been updated
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:09:13 PM »
This one worked, thank you.  ;D

Drubi

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »
Avast Free  6.0.1203 (110722-0) Anti virus only.

Had to reinstall the update files again today. Avast put the old files back and boot time went from 2min to 25min. (it has to be avast because system restore is disabled)

Intel Quad Core 2.8 4Gb 32b XP-SP3 1,2T ,Sapphire 6850, Comodo firewall, Perfectdisk 8.0,

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:13:50 PM »
Seems to me, Avast! should put out a new release to include this fix, rather than this patch!
And sooner, rather than later.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3

avoidz

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 04:35:57 AM »
Seems to me, Avast! should put out a new release to include this fix, rather than this patch!
And sooner, rather than later.

I hear ya. It'd make it easier than having to go around patching other computers one by one. I'm sure they are working on it.

avast! :)

KPaw

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »
I installed Avast about a week a half ago and had a terrible time for a couple of days with it slowing my internet surfing to a crawl at best.   I was completely frustrated.   I posted on this forum and people were so helpful and I eventually ended up with the link to the patches for fixing some Windows XP issues.  Everything is just fine now with my system and I can now see why people recommend Avast; however, when I initially visited the site and downloaded Avast I had no knowledge that there were Avast and XP conflicts... had this been made clear along with the requisite patches I would literally have been saved about three days of experimenting and trying everything including talking to my service provider and my 'computer guys' to determine what the problem was.   Having said that, it highlights the usefulness of this forum and how helpful people are. 

I do suggest Avast make it clear that a patch is required for XP users as many people are still XP users. 

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
What is clear in the link http://public.avast.com/~kurtin/patches/ is that only those running certain software on their system needs to apply the patch.  The majority of WinXP users won't need to patch, as they aren't running that software.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

KPaw

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 02:44:27 AM »
What is clear in the link http://public.avast.com/~kurtin/patches/ is that only those running certain software on their system needs to apply the patch.  The majority of WinXP users won't need to patch, as they aren't running that software.

I'm not running that software but was told there are conflicts with Avast and XP generally.  Don't know what's going on but, to new users of Avast, it's confusing.

nord

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 03:49:31 PM »

It's not that clear that the patch is only designed for certain programs in XP. On my XP PRO SP3 laptop, there has been a general slowdown with this release, so I went back one release and speed has been improved.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 04:32:41 PM »

It's not that clear that the patch is only designed for certain programs in XP. On my XP PRO SP3 laptop, there has been a general slowdown with this release, so I went back one release and speed has been improved.

The only patch specifically for WinXP only (the one mentioned in this thread subject)  lists 3 programs that have conflicts.
Code: [Select]
ap2011-17-07-002: Patch for slowdown with RAXCO PerfectDisk/Retrospect/Norton Ghost software, Windows XP only! (Free/Pro/IS)Fairly clear to most people.

I've noticed no speed problem or other issues with Avast 6.0.1203.  If downgrading clears some issue on your machine, then that's what you had to do.  It's hard to foresee problems across all configurations.  Even extensive beta testing cannot encounter what the final release will be installed alongside.

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

DavidCo

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »
I have a WinXP on another PC that dosn't have the .1203 version yet.
So when is the program update expected?

NOTE: the patch is intended for build 6.0.1203 and it will invalidate itself with the new program update

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »
I have a WinXP on another PC that dosn't have the .1203 version yet.
So when is the program update expected?

maybe in a month... not so early

Dch48

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 08:15:38 PM »
I installed Avast about a week a half ago and had a terrible time for a couple of days with it slowing my internet surfing to a crawl at best.   I was completely frustrated.   I posted on this forum and people were so helpful and I eventually ended up with the link to the patches for fixing some Windows XP issues.  Everything is just fine now with my system and I can now see why people recommend Avast; however, when I initially visited the site and downloaded Avast I had no knowledge that there were Avast and XP conflicts... had this been made clear along with the requisite patches I would literally have been saved about three days of experimenting and trying everything including talking to my service provider and my 'computer guys' to determine what the problem was.   Having said that, it highlights the usefulness of this forum and how helpful people are. 

I do suggest Avast make it clear that a patch is required for XP users as many people are still XP users. 
There is no patch necessary for all XP users. I'm running XP with no problems at all and without any patch. The XP patch is only for people who also have certain other software installed. The software is listed where you get the patch from.

venom_zx

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 04:29:42 AM »
There is no patch necessary for all XP users. I'm running XP with no problems at all and without any patch. The XP patch is only for people who also have certain other software installed. The software is listed where you get the patch from.

well i did have problems the past week and i'm also running XP. i've lost a lot of time trying to figure out what was causing my systems to almost come to a standstill ( especially since the cpu usage was nearly idle at all times ). for me it was because i use Retrospect for backups and both the clients and the server have this problem. a patch rarely applies to everyone. but if something has been fixed, then it's normal to include it in the program updates as soon as possible. i think this thread should be stickied and renamed to describe that this is a fix for a problem ( this thread is important and doesn't stand out ).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:36:47 AM by venom_zx »

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 05:06:43 AM »

well i did have problems the past week and i'm also running XP. i've lost a lot of time trying to figure out what was causing my systems to almost come to a standstill ( especially since the cpu usage was nearly idle at all times ). for me it was because i use Retrospect for backups and both the clients and the server have this problem. a patch rarely applies to everyone. but if something has been fixed, then it's normal to include it in the program updates as soon as possible. i think this thread should be stickied and renamed to describe that this is a fix for a problem ( this thread is important and doesn't stand out ).

I can't understand why an interim release couldn't be put out to contain these
important fixes.  They're important enough that they should have been incorporated ASAP.

To leave it as it is kind of unprofessional.  I would not consider buying Avast!
with this happy-go-lucky attitude.    Is there even any mention of the patch on the
download page?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3