Author Topic: bugs on avast website  (Read 15287 times)

JohnnyBob

Re: bugs on avast website
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 08:39:44 PM »
All of my tests and observations above were without the Noscripts add-on installed in Firefox, only a MVPS HOSTS file with www.google-analytics.com blocked. Some folks commented that they have Noscript installed as well as a MVPS HOSTS file, and didn't experience the same problems with the avast website as I did.

I can now confirm the Noscript can change that behavior, depending on the settings. I'm definitely not a Noscript expert (only a newbie there), but I've found one setting which enables the avast website to work correctly. Maybe there are others:
Set Noscript to enable all scripts globally.
Disable the google-analytics.com script in Noscript at the avast website.
Then the avast website works fine.

That's counter intuitive. The reason is apparently that Noscript inserts some harmless surrogate scripts whenever a script is disabled, so the website is fooled into thinking the script has executed nevertheless. At least that's my theory.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:42:16 PM by JohnnyBob »

Dch48

Re: bugs on avast website
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 12:07:30 AM »
http://www.avast.com/en-ca/free-antivirus-download This site where I first tried to download my copy of Avast free is buggy. Your only option is to buy AIS. I had to resort to CNET download. I went to the site through a Google Search. :'(
The download for the free version via the link you supplied works fine.
It works for you, but it doesn't work for me or gdiloren. It pops up a box where the "No thanks, I want free protection" button is inoperative.
Are you saying it's inoperative because it's gray? That doesn't mean anything. Click on it and it works.