Author Topic: bugs on avast website  (Read 15286 times)

JohnnyBob

Re: bugs on avast website
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 09:10:19 PM »
You guys apparently don't understand. That "No, thanks..." button is inoperative for us, so it does no good to click on it. We could wait til hell freezes over and nothing would happen. Cleaning with CCleaner is a good idea, and I use it frequently, but that would not likely cause such a malfunction. Like gdiloren says, mousing over it shows that there is no associated link nor active javascript which would appear in the browser status bar.

You say that it works for you, and I believe you. Why don't you believe us when we say it doesn't work for us? There's really nothing to argue about in that regard. It's obviously a buggy website which only works for some people, not others, cause unknown.

P.S. To prove my point, I clicked on that button then went to the bathroom for 18 minutes. When I came back, nothing had happened. Satisfied?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:32:46 PM by JohnnyBob »

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 09:40:40 PM »
http://www.avast.com/en-ca/free-antivirus-download This site where I first tried to download my copy of Avast free is buggy. Your only option is to buy AIS. I had to resort to CNET download. I went to the site through a Google Search. :'(
The download for the free version via the link you supplied works fine.
Works fine for me as well.  :)

DarkMasters

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 10:28:58 PM »
You guys apparently don't understand. That "No, thanks..." button is inoperative for us, so it does no good to click on it. We could wait til hell freezes over and nothing would happen. Cleaning with CCleaner is a good idea, and I use it frequently, but that would not likely cause such a malfunction. Like gdiloren says, mousing over it shows that there is no associated link nor active javascript which would appear in the browser status bar.

You say that it works for you, and I believe you. Why don't you believe us when we say it doesn't work for us? There's really nothing to argue about in that regard. It's obviously a buggy website which only works for some people, not others, cause unknown.

P.S. To prove my point, I clicked on that button then went to the bathroom for 18 minutes. When I came back, nothing had happened. Satisfied?

You're right. The same thing happens to me too when I tried to download the 6.0.1203 from Avast websites about 3 weeks ago. Click the 'No, thanks...' button to download the free version but nothing happen.

I use Opera back then (always using Opera for downloading), so I thought it was another website design quirk with Opera then I simply downloading by entering Avast direct link to address bar.

There's some bad coding in Avast website indeed...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:35:31 PM by DarkMasters »

Antiver

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »
This webpage is all right with maxthon 3 and windows XP SP3!

JohnnyBob

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 06:11:07 PM »
Cause found (maybe)...

I use the MVP HOSTS file to block adware, malware, tracking cookies, etc:
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

As soon as I turned off the HOSTS file (renamed it, temporarily) all my problems with the avast website vanished!

I'm optimistic that this may be the common denominator. So I suggest that the other members here who reported a problem with the avast website try turning off their HOSTS file temporarily (if they're using it) then report back...

[Note: I don't know what is being blocked by HOSTS file. That would require checking a lot of code on the avast website and even then it might be difficult to find, or invisible. It could be a link with avast, google, facebook or anything else as part of a sub.domain name. That would require a research project: First step would be to get a list of all the links used on the avast website. Second step would be to compare them with the MVP HOSTS file.]

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »
I'm optimistic that this may be the common denominator. So I suggest that the other members here who reported a problem with the avast website try turning off their HOSTS file temporarily (if they're using it) then report back...
I use the MVP HOSTS file on my systems and they do not have the problem you describe.

I use HostsMan's HostsServer that is a Local HTTP server that shows me what sites the HOSTS file blocks:
http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman

JohnnyBob

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 07:34:11 PM »
I use the MVP HOSTS file on my systems and they do not have the problem you describe.

I use HostsMan's HostsServer that is a Local HTTP server that shows me what sites the HOSTS file blocks:
http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman
Thanks. I'll take a look at that Hostsman's utility. So far I've done everything manually with a text editor.

I went through the process already. Using linkleecher.com I got a list of the links on the relevant avast.com webpages and compared them to my HOSTS file. Nothing matched, so it must be an invisible link. I know that links can be hidden by various methods. Either that, or there's some kind of more basic malfunction of the HOSTS file on certain systems.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »
When entering an avast.com address into browser, I noticed on status bar that it was first trying to connect to www.google-analytics.com. This zips by very quickly so it helps to have a slow connection (or fast eyes)!  ;)

My MVPS HOSTS file has these relevant entries...
# 127.0.0.1  ssl.google-analytics.com #[disabled = Firefox issues]
127.0.0.1  www.google-analytics.com #[Google Analytics]

So I unblocked www.google-analytics.com in my HOSTS file, and it appears that is the culprit! The avast website works correctly for me now (pending further tests) using either Firefox 3.6.18 or Internet Explorer 6.

Note: ssl.google-analytics.com block was disabled by MVPS HOSTS file developers, because they found a related problem with Firefox. I'm not privey to those details.

At this point, I have no further details about www.google-analytics.com nor its purpose but will try to find out something. Does anybody know what it does, or why the avast website is using it?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »
At this point, I have no further details about www.google-analytics.com nor its purpose but will try to find out something. Does anybody know what it does, or why the avast website is using it?

It does, what the name suggests. ;)
Btw, it's also blocked here and I have no problems with the avast site.
Difference is that I block it with NoScript.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Gargamel360

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »
It is Google's bread and butter, data farming.  It is hard to find a popular website without it, it is everywhere.

gdiloren

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 12:31:15 AM »
I suppose i shouldn't be alarmed by last wednesday MBAM alert about avast setup:
IP-BLOCK   174.37.222.41 (Type: outgoing, Port: 51398, Process: avast.setup)

YoKenny

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 02:15:56 PM »
# 127.0.0.1  ssl.google-analytics.com #[disabled = Firefox issues]
127.0.0.1  www.google-analytics.com #[Google Analytics]

So I unblocked www.google-analytics.com in my HOSTS file, and it appears that is the culprit! The avast website works correctly for me now (pending further tests) using either Firefox 3.6.18 or Internet Explorer 6.

Note: ssl.google-analytics.com block was disabled by MVPS HOSTS file developers, because they found a related problem with Firefox. I'm not privey to those details.

I have google-analytics.com and www.google-analytics.com entered into HostsMan's Exclusion Lists...
I do not have ssl.google-analytics.com disabled though.

You should upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 as IE6 is quite old.

By the way Internet Explorer is the basic display system for Windows.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:33:30 PM by YoKenny »

JohnnyBob

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 04:31:55 PM »
# 127.0.0.1  ssl.google-analytics.com #[disabled = Firefox issues]
127.0.0.1  www.google-analytics.com #[Google Analytics]

I have google-analytics.com and www.google-analytics.com entered into HostsMan's Exclusion Lists...
I do not have ssl.google-analytics.com disabled though.

You should upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 as IE6 is quite old.

Please pardon my shaggy dog tale below...  :)

I still haven't tried Hostman's utility. I use a text editor which works fine. What matters is that an entry exists in HOSTS file, or it doesn't. If your computer works differently than mine at the avast website, both having the following line in HOSTS file, then it's another mystery to be solved:
 127.0.0.1  www.google-analytics.com
I don't have a google-analytics.com line (the non-www format) in my HOSTS file. It does not appear in the most recent MVPS HOSTS file version (July 23).

I've tried IE8 but it's incompatible with Outlook Express on this XP Home SP3 computer, and I'm not going to change my email client. I don't care how old IE is, because I don't use it on this computer. I use Firefox 3.6.18 as my default browser. I strongly doubt that's the cause of my problems at the avast website. So to prove (or disprove) my point in that regard, I've gone another mile down the road, as follows...

I have another computer available here that runs XP Pro SP3 and IE8, which doesn't have the MVPS HOSTS file, only the rudimentary example HOSTS file that comes as default. It has no problems with the avast website. As an experiment I added a single "127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com" line to its HOSTS file and here is what happened...

If I goto http://www.avast.com/en-us/index and click the FOR HOME tab at top, IE8 puts a yellow warning triangle on status bar to show that there are problems. If I click the yellow warning triangle, it says: Errors on this page might cause it to work incorrectly. Webpage error details. User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1)...

free anti-virus download
Line: 54  Char: 3  Code: 0
URI: http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download

free anti-virus download
Line: 62  Char: 3  Code: 0

tabs.js
Line: 31  Char: 4  Code: 0
URI: http://static.avast.com/j/tabs.js?t=201107221222

lightbox_free-antivirus-download.js
Line: 48  Char: 9  Code: 0
URI: http://static.avast.com/j/lightbox_free-antivirus-download.js?t=201107221222

free anti-virus download
Line: 31  Char: 1  Code: 0

The tabs near the middle of that page are inactive (go nowhere): Why AVAST, System Requirements, Technology, More Options. I've already posted the relevant graphic in this thread somewhere above.

If I click on the Free Antivirus DOWNLOAD for home use only* button, it pops up a page where the "No thanks, I want free protection" button is inactive (goes nowhere), and it is still showing the same page errors as listed in detail above. I also posted this relevant graphic somewhere in this thread above, IIRC.

Firefox 3.6.10, Chrome 12.0.742.122, and Safari 5.0.2 give exactly the same results as IE8 on this XP Pro SP3 computer, once again confirming that these bugs are *NOT* browser related!

I believe this shows conclusively that the avast website bugs (subject of this thread) are caused by incorporation of www.google-analytics.com into the avast website coding. I should say that I somehow suspected that google might be involved before I began this investigation due to the fairly recently bundling of the Chrome browser offer with the free avast antivirus installer. In effect the free avast antivirus is only available for download now if user consents to being tracked and traced by google. Of course I don't know if this is by design or accidental, but suspect the former.

P.S. As the final nail in the coffin of other theories, I then removed the 127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com line from HOSTS file on the XP Pro SP3 computer. Result: no errors or problems at the avast website. This leaves absolutely no doubt about the cause.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:19:23 PM by JohnnyBob »

YoKenny

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 04:53:43 PM »
I've tried IE8 but it's incompatible with Outlook Express on this XP Home SP3 computer, and I'm not going to change my email client. I don't care how old IE is, because I don't use it on this computer. I use Firefox 3.6.18 as my default browser. I strongly doubt that's the cause of my problems at the avast website. So to prove (or disprove) my point in that regard, I've gone another mile down the road, as follows...

I have another computer available here that runs XP Pro SP3 and IE8, which doesn't have the MVPS HOSTS file, only the rudimentary example HOSTS file that comes as default. It has no problems with the avast website. As an experiment I added a single "127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com" line to its HOSTS file and here is what happened...

If I goto http://www.avast.com/en-us/index and click the FOR HOME tab at top, IE8 puts a yellow warning triangle on status bar to show that there are problems. If I click the yellow warning triangle, it says: Errors on this page might cause it to work incorrectly. Webpage error details. User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1)...

free anti-virus download
Line: 54  Char: 3  Code: 0

free anti-virus download
Line: 62  Char: 3  Code: 0

tabs.js
Line: 31  Char: 4  Code: 0
URI: http://static.avast.com/j/tabs.js?t=201107221222

lightbox_free-antivirus-download.js
Line: 48  Char: 9  Code: 0
URI: http://static.avast.com/j/lightbox_free-antivirus-download.js?t=201107221222

free anti-virus download
Line: 31  Char: 1  Code: 0

The tabs near the middle of that page are inactive (go nowhere): Why AVAST, System Requirements, Technology, More Options. I've already posted the relevant graphic in this thread somewhere above.

If I click on the Free Antivirus DOWNLOAD for home use only* button, it pops up a page where the "No thanks, I want free protection" button is inactive (goes nowhere), and it is still showing the same page errors as listed in detail above. I also posted this relevant graphic somewhere in this thread above, IIRC.

Firefox 3.6.10, Chrome 12.0.742.122, and Safari 5.0.2 give exactly the same results as IE8 on this XP Pro SP3 computer, once again confirming that these bugs are *NOT* browser related!

I believe this shows conclusively that the avast website bugs (subject of this thread) are caused by incorporation of www.google-analytics.com into the avast website coding. I should say that I somehow suspected that google might be involved before I began this investigation due to the fairly recently bundling of the Chrome browser offer with the free avast antivirus installer. In effect the free avast antivirus is only available for download now if user consents to being tracked and traced by google. Of course I don't know if this is by design or accidental, but suspect the former.
I have no problem with Outlook Express on my XP Pro system nor my friends XP Home system.

You may want to read this
Windows Explorer is a file manager application that is included with releases of the Microsoft Windows operating system from Windows 95 onwards. It provides a graphical user interface for accessing the file systems. It is also the component of the operating system that presents many user interface items on the monitor such as the taskbar and desktop. Controlling the computer is possible without Windows Explorer running (for example, the File | Run command in Task Manager on NT-derived versions of Windows will function without it, as will commands typed in a command prompt window). Located in the C:\Windows directory, it is sometimes referred to as the Windows Shell, explorer.exe, or simply “Explorer”.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer

Especially this item
It is also the component of the operating system that presents many user interface items on the monitor such as the taskbar and desktop.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »
I don't want to get into a sidetrack discussion about Windows Explorer or IE versions. Suffice to say here that I believe I can prove IE8 and/or the avast Scripts shield are incompatible with Outlook Express, and will leave it at that...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:40:31 PM by JohnnyBob »