Author Topic: Avast 5 cpu spikes  (Read 9518 times)

Bob23456

Avast 5 cpu spikes
« on: July 20, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
I have 5.1.885 Free I have only email and file system shield running using Windows XP Pro Sp3.
When I go to other drives and folders or even on C folders avast puts a high cpu usage which essentially locks me out of windows explorer until its finished doing whatever its doing.
Constantly I see the file SF.bin popping up during this.
I have transient caching and persistent caching on.
What can I do to stop it doing this lag?
Thankyou

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 5 cpu spikes
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
I have 5.1.885 Free
why dont you upgrade to latest version 6.0.1203.  and see if that will fix it ?

Daris

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:06:02 AM »
Well first off...
I have windows XP, and have all shields running even thou I'm not using some and everything is runnig smooth ....
 just wondering is there a reason that you only have the 2 shields runing and, is there a reason why you have decided to stay with the free version 5 instead of updating to the free version 6...after all they are both free and the version6 I find has so many more options, and offers more protection....And is rated highly by users and media...

Second...Sounds ike you have some reminants left over from previous security programs
What antivirus if any have you used before and did you download their proper uninstall utillity tool and did a clean instal of Avast 5
  In other words any Previous Firewall or Antivirus is probably still running in the background with Avast5...think of any that could be there and do a full search on them if you can think of any previous security software and download their proper uninstal tool...
  Also is it possible? that you might still have Avast 4.8  also there...If so download the proper Avast uninstal tool and do a clean instal of AVAST

Cheers and safe surfing!!

Bob23456

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:25:38 AM »
I have 5.1.885 Free
why dont you upgrade to latest version 6.0.1203.  and see if that will fix it ?

Well seeing as though I have a problem with 5, which im trying to resolve.
I wouldn't be interested in something new before I get this working.
4 always worked fine.

Bob23456

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
Well first off...
I have windows XP, and have all shields running even thou I'm not using some and everything is runnig smooth ....
 just wondering is there a reason that you only have the 2 shields runing and, is there a reason why you have decided to stay with the free version 5 instead of updating to the free version 6...after all they are both free and the version6 I find has so many more options, and offers more protection....And is rated highly by users and media...

Second...Sounds ike you have some reminants left over from previous security programs
What antivirus if any have you used before and did you download their proper uninstall utillity tool and did a clean instal of Avast 5
  In other words any Previous Firewall or Antivirus is probably still running in the background with Avast5...think of any that could be there and do a full search on them if you can think of any previous security software and download their proper uninstal tool...
  Also is it possible? that you might still have Avast 4.8  also there...If so download the proper Avast uninstal tool and do a clean instal of AVAST

Cheers and safe surfing!!

I only have the 2 shields running because I dont like the extra lag of the others and I found I never needed them anyway.
I do not have reminants of other security programs avast 4 and now 5 is the only AV I have ever had installed on this.
And I uninstalled 4 with the tools and cleaned all traces of it from the PC.
I have and use malwarebytes from time to time but its not always running.
I use comodo firewall with no sandbox or anything running, but I have avast and comodo set to exclude everything from each other and when it spikes the CPU comodo is not using much cpu.
There is no previous firewall or AV running in the background with Avast.

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:31:49 AM »
Thing is, new versions fix bugs with old versions.  So updating is always a good first step for troubleshooting.  

Thinking Sf.bin has something to do with the behavior shield, or heuristics, forget which one.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:34:30 AM »
4 always worked fine.
newer versions usually have bug fixes   ;)

http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/   and version 5.1.885 was not a official release according to this list

on right side you see old versions....click change log to see what was fixed

Bob23456

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 12:38:29 AM »
Thing is, new versions fix bugs with old versions.  So updating is always a good first step for troubleshooting.  

Thinking Sf.bin has something to do with the behavior shield, or heuristics, forget which one.
Well I don't have those enabled only file system and email.
And I wouldn't be interested in getting 6 yet because im thinking from what ive read here perhaps it uses even more system resources.
I was about to put Avast 5 on someones PC im fixing now ive second thoughts due to the lag it might make so im just trying to figure out if it can be resolved.

Bob23456

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 12:39:25 AM »
4 always worked fine.
newer versions usually have bug fixes   ;)

http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/   and version 5.1.885 was not a official release according to this list

on right side you see old versions....click change log to see what was fixed
Ummm ok right, did 5 have bug fixes from 4? 4 used less system resources.
So your argument is not appealing to me.

Bob23456

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 12:41:28 AM »
and version 5.1.885 was not a official release according to this list
Yet I got it from the Avast website so that's a little strange.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 12:44:02 AM »
why did ford stop producing the model T-Ford.... it was working just fine.....

4 have and outdated scan engine...lots of malware not detected

the bad guys are testing new malware every day, so to stay on top.....

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 12:44:45 AM »
from here maybe  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81028.0   a beta release  ?

Bob23456

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 12:49:58 AM »
why did ford stop producing the model T-Ford.... it was working just fine.....

4 have and outdated scan engine...lots of malware not detected

the bad guys are testing new malware every day, so to stay on top.....
Yes but to be so paranoid as to say you need an AV that uses 50% or more of your system to be safe is not logical.
I have been using computers for 25 years and I am yet to have a virus that has exploded my computer and killed me.
The solution to my problem is not to upgrade to a new version which by the looks of things on here has similar if not more problems.
I will go and put the new version now on this other PC im fixing, which is clean OS install, and if it causes problems im removing it from all my PC's and not putting it on anyone elses and will just have to find another less laggy alternative.
Unless someone can find a solution to its methods of grabbing massive amounts of CPU.

Bob23456

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 12:50:29 AM »
from here maybe  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81028.0   a beta release  ?
No......from the official download from Avast.com

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 12:52:22 AM »
ok.. so why not try the last 5.1 version then ?

anyway seems i cant help you   ;)