Author Topic: Avast 5 cpu spikes  (Read 9578 times)

Gargamel360

Re: Avast 5 cpu spikes
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
You have heuristics, if you have File shield, but as I said, I'm not sure which of those Sf.bin applied to. I'm sure someone here does, though.
All software will use more resources eventually, as time goes on. Especially security software.  You can't hide from that forever.  Spybot used to be enough, remember?
Even more funny if Pondus is correct and 5.1.885 wasn't official, you are using both an old and unstable release, twice the reason for you to update.

why did ford stop producing the model T-Ford.... it was working just fine.....4 have and outdated scan engine...lots of malware not detected
the bad guys are testing new malware every day, so to stay on top.....
QFT

So your argument is not appealing to me.
No one here is arguing with you....just stating the fact that sooner or later you must move forward or risk infection and bugs, a pure fact.  If 4 worked....why did you update to 5, then, by your logic a bad decision?? (rhetorical question)....to finish, Avast! makes a product for the majority, not people sitting on old hardware expecting computing to stay where it is comfortable and affordable to them, sorry.

edit: btw, your email shows public on the forum
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:00:48 AM by Gargamel360 »

Bob23456

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 01:12:03 AM »
All software will use more resources eventually, as time goes on. Especially security software.  You can't hide from that forever.

The question is WHY does it use more system resources? Because it offers better protection?
Or because of huge flashy marketing graphics? And I believe its the later, which is ignorant beyond belief.

Even more funny if Pondus is correct and 5.1.885 wasn't official, you are using both an old and unstable release, twice the reason for you to update.
And if that is so the case, then WHY was it released by Avast on their official website?
Just like the previous comment, they were selling V4, which you say is now no good?
But people were paying for that yet it was no good.
Then they release 5, but wait, the versions they release are not even official? Now 6? That must be better right? Because of the previous?

No one here is arguing with you....just stating the fact that sooner or later you must move forward or risk infection and bugs, a pure fact.  If 4 worked....why did you update to 5, then, by your logic a bad decision??
Because they discontinued updates, or at least threatened to.

Gargamel360

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »
The question is WHY does it use more system resources? Because it offers better protection?
Or because of huge flashy marketing graphics? And I believe its the later, which is ignorant beyond belief.
....right, ::) what graphics run in the background using resources?  None.  Even if you sat there with the UI open all the time, impact from that would be minimal.
And if that is so the case, then WHY was it released by Avast on their official website? Just like the previous comment, they were selling V4, which you say is now no good? But people were paying for that yet it was no good. Then they release 5, but wait, the versions they release are not even official? Now 6? That must be better right? Because of the previous?
sigh.....is this about your problem with the program or company policy?  I'm done here, someone else can bite the hook if they feel like it.

Bob23456

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 06:45:59 AM »
So basically I installed 6 on the other pc im fixing, and it does the same thing.
With all the shields active its a nightmare.
But even with just those 2 active when you click on things from time to time, AvastSvc.exe is spiking massive CPU usage and popping up SF.bin which is also spiking it and locking you out from explorer while it does it.
So basically im uninstalling it from all my pc's and will not put it on anyone elses until this is fixed, which I assume now since 5 and 6 both do it then it wont be.
So I guess Avast has gone the route of resource hog and that's fine, just I will not be using it or recommending it, as people should not need to buy a $1000 Intel gaming processor to run anti virus.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 07:07:12 AM »
Have you altered any of the default setting's of avast ? like ticking the scan all files boxes in the file system shield settings.
Personally i find the new versions of avast are extreemly low in there resource usage 4-6 meg of ram for me and it is running very well on my old xp sp3 with only 512 meg of ram.

xtinguish

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »
I also have the latest release running with default settings on Windows XP Home SP3 with only 512 mb ram and have no problems with lags or increased system resources. I think your problem is not with Avast.

Bob23456

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 01:11:04 AM »
Have you altered any of the default setting's of avast ? like ticking the scan all files boxes in the file system shield settings.
Personally i find the new versions of avast are extreemly low in there resource usage 4-6 meg of ram for me and it is running very well on my old xp sp3 with only 512 meg of ram.
You have a DUAL Core CPU!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:17:03 AM by Bob23456 »

Bob23456

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 01:17:25 AM »
I also have the latest release running with default settings on Windows XP Home SP3 with only 512 mb ram and have no problems with lags or increased system resources. I think your problem is not with Avast.
What CPU?

Bob23456

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 01:30:39 PM »
Thanks for the GREAT help guys its really much appreciated.
This has something to do with the code emulation component of Avast working on pre SSE2 processors.

Bob23456

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »
I ask that an Avast official explain to me the issues of running Avast 5/6 on non SSE2 processors.

nord

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »
I ask that an Avast official explain to me the issues of running Avast 5/6 on non SSE2 processors.

Bob23456,

Just to add, I'm running XP PRO SP3 on an old Thinkpad T-40 laptop with a Pentium M processor and 768 Megs Ram and Avast 6.0.1125 with no problems.