Author Topic: Avast 4.8 - The nag screen has returned  (Read 16667 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 4.8 - The nag screen has returned
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 02:51:51 AM »
well...all suggestions have been rejected....so i guess we cant help you then 

Gargamel360

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 02:56:58 AM »
 >:( >:( Yeah......that is totally OT, but I volunteer there, so I take that sort of personally.  So much so that I have to stop posting here or I'll get out of hand......which is good, you never deserved an answer anyway.

:-X :-X :-X

MikeN92

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 03:10:29 AM »
You don't want any other protection, from Avast or other av brands. You consider v6 bloatware even thought you never tried installing only what you needed from the product(I guess in your opinion the program is heavier on the system with every new version). You started using a cracked version because you were hoping to get ride of the nag screen(Avast people are dumb right? They tell you to upgrade because they are evil not that they consider the new version more safe/stable/easier to use). Basically you want Avast to give you a personal 4.8 Home Edition with no nag screen, right? I don't see any reason why Avast shouldn't give the man what he wants! Period.

prilodri

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 03:15:44 AM »
Hey everyone, let's storm the bastille!

I tried 5.0, that was bloated and undesirable.  I can't imagine 6.0 being better.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 09:37:29 AM »
First of all, YES, I am using an illegal serial, but why do you care? 

:o >:(
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 01:05:40 PM »
Hey everyone, let's storm the bastille!

I tried 5.0, that was bloated and undesirable.  I can't imagine 6.0 being better.

Then find yourself another AV, but you won't get help in defrauding avast when you could be using avast 4.8 free.

So you have a very strange way of showing loyalty to avast by ripping them off and that is my last word on it. You have been offered advice, take it or leave it but don't expect help in getting an illegal copy of avast 4.8 pro to circumvent the nag screen. I'm only sorry it isn't a notice of an illegal/pirated key which would prevent your getting VPS updates.

This topic will now be reported to the moderators to be closed and or your forum membership banned as this is the official avast! support forum and that doesn't include illegal copies of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »
To the OP, you have your answer. You could still use the free version of Avast 4.8 with database updates. If you are going to use an illegal one, then it doesn't matter if you use the free version in a commercial environment. If it is not a commercial internment, then better yet.

If you don't want to customize, then don't. Use it "as-is". If you are an advanced user, then you could indeed customize it (if you were not so lazy). If you don't care about new features nor new malware, then maybe you shouldn't use an AV at all.

So, stop being a troll and use whatever you want, or nothing at all. We don't care. In any case, you got the best answer you will get here, and it is clear already that your not so welcome to keep asking.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
We all care  :(
The best things in life are free.

prilodri

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 02:54:30 AM »
We all care  :(
It's ok, my post on the solution was deleted...  But just to let everyone know, I did find a solution.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 03:13:14 AM »
Keep your old 4.8... Enjoy the last days you have with it...
The best things in life are free.

Oz Bezarius

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 06:23:10 AM »
I believe 4.8 was the last product for the skilled end user.  It was ugly, awkward, and it works great.
Couldn't agree more with it. The new versions are idiotproof heavily cutting the configuration options, but I'm not an idiot and I know what I'm doing. I'm a legal, registered user of the free Home version and this nagging screen totally pisses me off. Deleting the "asw6noti.exe" module and clearing the registry isn't helping at all - it all comes back with another definition update. I think it's my choice which version I want to use, so there should be an option to turn the update screen off. So is there any possibility to get rid of it once and for all?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:30:35 AM by Oz Bezarius »

prilodri

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 07:02:10 AM »
Ah, in a sea of insanity, a voice of reason...

I posted the solution but they deleted the post.

You can't just delete the asw6noti.exe, you've got to replace it with a dummy file and make it read only.

Nez Man

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 07:24:02 AM »
prilodri, I'm going to tell you this as simply as I possibly can.

As much as you'd love for any avast! version to be automatically configured to your specific desires without some customisation, life just isn't like that. To expect avast! to automatically cater to your desired settings is quite frankly a ridiculous and boxed minded expectation.

Anyway....

In the avast! Pro Antivirus 6.0 Setup, all you have to do is simply tick the "Custom installation" box at the start of the setup process to allow a custom installation.

After that, proceed to the Configuration screen, and see the image attached below to get avast! Pro Antivirus 6.0 set up with avast! 4.8 Professional Edition settings.

It's hardly a complex process.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:27:00 AM by Naean »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 07:35:59 AM »
The only insanity is from the people not upgrading the the 6 versions, i find the new versions run lighter than any of the old versions and if you find that isnt so then you need to look at what other software you have running that maybe causing the slow downs.
It is strange how you can call avast bloatware as they dont put any of the rubbish into there program that alot of other companys will, everything that is in the program is neccesary for the right reasons and if there are some processes you dont wish to have they can simply not be installed via a custom install or uninstalled at a later date via remove programs.
Also to come here to the avast forums and state that your using cracked keys and then you want help on an old version of avast when there is a superiour new product in every aspect for free really makes me wonder how some people even remember to breathe.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 07:40:09 AM »
If you are not willing to pay for it, then use free version. It provides the same level of protection as payable one. It just has less features and extras that might enhance protection but are generally not needed by everyone.

Since you're using WinXP (as i can see from the windows on those pictures), why are you sticking to an outdated version that is slower and has a worse protection than avast! 6 ? I'd understand if you were still on Win9x where avast! 6 doesn't work anymore, but insisiting on avast! 4.8 on WInXP just doens't make any sense at all. The whole point of ANY antivirus or security program is to be as up to date as possible. Only this way you can always be ready against latest malware. Which you just can't be with avast! 4.8 anymore.

avast! 4.8 is using an outdated engine, its emulator is much more basic, it doesn't have proper heuristics, doesn't provide Script Shield, it doesn't have Behavior Shield, it doesn't have AutoSandbox and also scanned files are not cached which significantly increases performance.
You get all this in avast! 6. For free!

I's like having a choice of a free Ferrari 458 Italia and a free Zastava Yugo. And you'd pick Yugo and insist on it to the death. WHY!? Take the Ferrari, take the avast! 6...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog