Author Topic: I-Frame in mails  (Read 2803 times)

windusrfer2004

I-Frame in mails
« on: October 28, 2004, 07:39:46 PM »
Hello,

Avast is detecting I-Frames in e-mail messages and told me that it possible an danger issue is, what are I-Frames and can the harm mine pc and must i deleted those messages,

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:I-Frame in mails
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 07:49:32 PM »
IFrames have to do with HTML code.
Have a look HERE

For specific info on how frames and the ifram element is used look HERE
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 08:01:00 PM by Eddy »

Fast

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 07:52:34 PM »
It is as said "potentially" dangerous.
Depending on which email-program you use, i-frames can be used to execute arbitrary code. Doesn't mean every i-frame has to be dangerous, but it carries a risk in it. An i-frame-exploit is an exploit contained within a body of HTML and is typically used in email. The exploit allows malicious code to be executed by reading or previewing files containing this code. This exploit deceives the HTML viewer into executing viral code that the viewer thinks is an Audio or a Video component of the body of HTML.
Depending on what email-program you use, the mailprogram uses microsofts viewer (usually internet-explorer) to view the i-frame. This is a security risk which I personally would NOT take.
Only if you use an absolutely safe mail-program like iScribe with its own safe viewer, you might consider taking the risk, but if I were you, I'd delete it.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 08:07:05 PM by Fast »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 08:26:28 PM »
Exercise a high degree of common sence and you will be safe. Don't start out viewing an email in preview view (especially OE).

Who sent the email is your biggest clue, iframes within email are extremely infrequent in personal email with very few legitimate reasons for their use. Combine that with an unknown or obscure origin of the email and alarm bells should be ringing in your head as well as avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security