Author Topic: system resources  (Read 2629 times)

roddinron

system resources
« on: November 02, 2004, 03:16:58 AM »
I just removed Norton and installed avast 4.1, and found that my system resources at startup changed from 80 to 75. I was expecting to actually gain some, not lose. Any thoughts?
Also, after running a scan,the results showed many file that  were "unable to scan", is that normal?

techie101

Re:system resources
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 06:34:00 AM »
Rod,

Avast does use a bit more resources due to the manner in which the scanner uses its' engine.  It is negligible.

Avast will use more when set for a Thorough scan including Archives.

In the future, a different method may be used, but the present is the best compromise for now.

As for the "unable to scan" entries.  You will find that some of the files are Password protected.  These are usually system files that Window protects to avoid tampering.

Other files may be "in use" and are "locked".

Still others may be in the System Restore.

If you use Adaware and put any files into Quarantine, they will also show as being "unable to scan".  Just go back into Adaware and clean out the Quarantine folder.

In order for me to tell you exactly the reason, I would need to see the scan results.

BUT....it will be one of the reasons I just gave you.

Thanks for asking, and welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 06:37:57 AM by Techie101 »

roddinron

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 07:19:35 AM »
thanks Techie101
 I was under the impression that Norton was a resource hog.  Anyway, thanks for the response, you helped make a small clear spot in this otherwise fuzzy brain.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 07:19:36 AM »
On all the systems I have seen it was Norton who was laying a heavier load on the cpu usage than Avast. I've checked my systems and all say:
Avast cpu usage 0%. This could mean it is using 0.9% ofcourse, but what the heck it still is almost nothing ;D

edit: I just noticed there was a difference of 1 second between my reply and the previous one. Now that is something you don't see often in one thread ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 07:21:26 AM by Eddy »