Author Topic: Dial Up Problem  (Read 12134 times)

ianb

Dial Up Problem
« on: October 28, 2004, 07:50:17 PM »
4.5.498 HOME- XP SP2

Just updated to 4.5.498 version today.  Every time I restart the computer though Avast wants to use my dial up account to check for updates.  
I am on Broadband and have the settings set to "My computer is pemanantly connected to the internet".Never had this problem with other versions.  

Any ideas ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Dial Up Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 08:49:15 PM »
Have you tried switching the settings back and forth, closing the settings windows between changes.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mary.Marshall24

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 08:55:33 PM »
I have tried to up-date my version of Avast on my computer - the key needs updating, I cannot get through to update it nor will it let me view the 'download' pages. Neither will it let my e-mail through. Please help - I'm not very good with these technical problems. ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 09:02:50 PM »
Mary,

Please start a thread for your problem rather than add an unrelated problem to an existing thread. Try to select a forum like General unless this is directly related to the beta version.

We will also need a little more information to help as well.

- What OS are you using?
   - avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 0436-4 (see about avast!)
   - What actions have you taken to try and resolve the problem?
Also see this thread for further information and advice User's FAQ.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ianb

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 10:07:31 PM »
Thanks David, tried that before but it didn't stop it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 10:14:22 PM »
Thanks David, tried that before but it didn't stop it.

UseRAS value of avast4.ini file should work...  ::)
Can you see 'Settings' on my signature?
The best things in life are free.

ianb

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 12:32:24 AM »
First off I'd like to say that I appreciate this is a free AV and has free support via the forum.  

BUT remarks like  ::) don't help and will only deter your average user from posting.  Fortunately I understood your post Technical but I'm sure plenty of others wouldn't have.  

Changing the ini file made no difference whatsoever by the way.  

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 12:55:47 AM »
ianb
I know your having a problem and it's probably frustrating but, snapping at some one who is trying to help you, isn't the way to get help.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 03:45:45 AM »
First off I'd like to say that I appreciate this is a free AV and has free support via the forum. BUT remarks like  ::) don't help and will only deter your average user from posting.  Fortunately I understood your post Technical but I'm sure plenty of others wouldn't have. Changing the ini file made no difference whatsoever by the way.

Sorry if I did not satisfy you  :'(
Well, nobody is perfect, me either, I try to help as much I can understand the user wants and could understand. If you understood my post I think you are happy now and everything is working.  ;)

ianb

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 03:27:33 PM »
SORRY Technical I think I misunderstood your posting.  
I took  ::) to mean IT'S OBVIOUS (which it isn't) but I can now see what you really meant.

Thanks for your help and sorry again for the misunderstanding.  :-[

Will report back with results later.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 03:50:56 PM »
SORRY Technical I think I misunderstood your posting.  
I took  ::) to mean IT'S OBVIOUS (which it isn't) but I can now see what you really meant.

Thanks for your help and sorry again for the misunderstanding.  :-[

Will report back with results later.

Never mind. For me,  ::) = means I'm not sure, maybe.... It's my feeling about my knowleadge and not about the other. Ok, never mind, we understand each other. Let's focus on your problem. I'm waiting your report  ;)

ianb

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 06:57:52 PM »
OK, I've changed the ini file again and it makes no difference.  

Just to be sure that it wasn't anything else trying to connect I un-installed Avast and it stopped.  Back to 4.1 now and all ok.

I have none of the boxes (Permaneant or Dial Up) ticked at present and it works fine.  

Next I will try going back to 4.5 and try with no boxes ticked.  Maybe it gets confused with my always on connection (NTL) ?  Will let you know what happens.

Once again thanks for your help and sorry for the misunderstanding.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 06:58:18 PM by ianb »

ianb

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 07:13:48 PM »
May have got something now.

It seems after an update that it is avastsetup01 that wants to connect via dial up ......... any ideas ?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 07:21:46 PM »
Looks to me like the update went wrong somehow and did not finish properly. If I remember correctly, there are a few other threads here dealing with that.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2004, 04:10:16 AM »
Did you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).