Author Topic: avast! in a research vessel environment  (Read 1585 times)

missionmercury

avast! in a research vessel environment
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:16:21 PM »
I'm an assistant scientist on a research vessel that is a predominantly offline environment but that has one computer connected to the internet via a fleet broadband connection.  Is it possible for the fleet computer to download the daily virus updates and then have them percolate out to the other computers on the ship network network?

Thanks for all your help!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: avast! in a research vessel environment
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:21:48 PM »
I believe the newly released Business Protection edition should be able to do that - the connected computer would work as a mirror, and the other workstations would download the updates from the mirror.

missionmercury

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 04:28:28 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

We need to minimize traffic overhead as well (data is on the order of $10 per megabyte), so would you know how much additional data would be required on top of virus update definition files?  (I see the need for access to an SMTP server in the requirements).

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:58:49 PM »
I don't think there should be any additional traffic needed - but I'd probably suggest to move the discussion into the Business Protection forum (I can move the thread, if you wish), as I don't know the details.