Author Topic: avast! 6.0.1203 sluggish side-effects?  (Read 5135 times)

avoidz

avast! 6.0.1203 sluggish side-effects?
« on: July 21, 2011, 05:14:44 PM »
I seem to be having a lot of slowdowns all of a sudden on my XP SP3 machine -- hard drive grinding, and general sluggishness with Explorer (not IE). I've put up with it for a few days and initially put it down to Opera, but it's so unusual I had to try disabling avast! first since I see its tray icon spinning around a lot.

Disabling all shields temporarily, my computer is once again quiet, spry and responsive (but unprotected). I've used avast! since version 4 and never had this problem before. Has something changed significantly (like an additional scanning process) in the most recent version I have updated to, 6.0.1203?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:16:18 PM by marfaw »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast! 6.0.1203 sluggish side-effects?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »
What other security software do you have installed, firewall, ant-spyware, etc. ?

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Do you have any defrag software installed that runs in the background ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »
I seem to be having a lot of slowdowns all of a sudden on my XP SP3 machine...

Read here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81547.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

avoidz

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 03:45:33 AM »
Thanks. Hm, no I don't have anything else running in the background besides Sygate PF Pro; not even PerfectDisk or Retrospect which is mentioned in those other threads.

Diskeeper defragger I run manually, so it's not that either.

I may just try the patch anyway and see what happens.

Cheers.

nord

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 06:19:39 AM »
I seem to be having a lot of slowdowns all of a sudden on my XP SP3 machine -- hard drive grinding, and general sluggishness with Explorer (not IE). I've put up with it for a few days and initially put it down to Opera, but it's so unusual I had to try disabling avast! first since I see its tray icon spinning around a lot.

marfaw,

XP PRO SP3 here. Windows Explorer was slower and the system overall booted slower (subjectively, never pulled out a stopwatch). Reverted to 6.0.1125 and do not see the same problems. Also posted in the official release section.

KPaw

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 02:05:24 PM »

Disabling all shields temporarily, my computer is once again quiet, spry and responsive (but unprotected). I've used avast! since version 4 and never had this problem before. Has something changed significantly (like an additional scanning process) in the most recent version I have updated to, 6.0.1203?

Cheers.

I had all of these problems last week after installing Avast for the first time.   Then, I downloaded and installed the patch for Window XP users (see the link in a previous post in this thread) and it solved the problems completely.   Hope it does for you too. 

avoidz

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:01:13 PM »

I had all of these problems last week after installing Avast for the first time.   Then, I downloaded and installed the patch for Window XP users (see the link in a previous post in this thread) and it solved the problems completely.   Hope it does for you too. 

Thanks. I've had my computer on all day with Opera and Outlook open and doing lots of other tasks after installing the patch and haven't noticed the CPU being tied up and the OS freezing up like before. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Cheers :)