Author Topic: avast_managed.exe missing - cannot deploy clients  (Read 12627 times)

computerchuck

avast_managed.exe missing - cannot deploy clients
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:17:41 PM »
the avast_managed.exe is missing and I cannot deploy client installations.  I hope to use this file to manually update computers.

The deployment wizard fails repeatedly.  I'd like to first work on the problem of the missing avast_managed.exe file first, before troubleshooting the deployment wizard.

Mirror status shows done with 'OK' on the error code.

Under admin, settings, setup page, there is a link to download directly (from my local BP admin server) the managed client.  It takes me to a page to click download, then when you click the link, it goes to web page error 404, missing file.  

Unfortunately, the file was not created.  I checked the path on the admin server (D:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Administration Console\Mirror\Install\avast_managed.exe) and it's empty.

How can I force it to recreate the avast managed install file without having to start from scratch?

with best regards,
Chuck
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:01:48 PM by computerchuck »

Offline claudiuc

• avast! Security Expert
  • Avast Reseller
  • www.avastantivirus.ro
    • www.avastantivirus.ro
Re: avast_managed.exe missing - cannot deploy clients
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 08:04:57 PM »
Claudiu C. - Easy Media
Avast & AVG Distributor Romania, Moldova, Hungary
https://www.avastantivirus.ro/

computerchuck

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:01:32 PM »
Tried that, didn't work.  Hardware rebooted the avast mgmnt server, then opened administrator console in IE, did a manual mirror software update, now it works.  

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:48:46 PM by computerchuck »

jx

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:32:57 PM »
Unfortunately, the file was not created.  I checked the path on the admin server (D:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Administration Console\Mirror\Install\avast_managed.exe) and it's empty.

How can I force it to recreate the avast managed install file without having to start from scratch?

There is a "definitions update" job you may trigger to manually update the mirror (and create the install packages) or you may wait for the next "scheduled" mirror update, which is every 15 minutes if I remember the defaults correctly.

The situation when mirror does not report an error but still there is a problem with creation of the packages is strange. If possible, please inspect the mirror logs as well as the Administation Console/Administration Console Monitor services logs under ProgramData folders. Feel free to upload these, they might give us some clues as to what went wrong.

Thanks

jx

eskay2

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »
Dear Avast

I also had the exact problem as above, I cannot deploy avast_managed.exe to my clients.

I've reinstalled 3 times now without success.

For some reason, the installation did not create

C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Administration Console\Mirror\Install\avast_managed.exe

instead AVAST Software directory was put into C:\Program Files\

however this director does not have a \Mirror directoy.

Mirror info states "Virus definitions: 0-0" and Mirror status: Done, with Error code: OK (nothing to do).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 10:13:57 AM »
"C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Administration Console" is a folder for program files and
"C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Administration Console" is a folder for data files and contains also the mirror. The ProgramData may be hidden in Windows Explorer, you can unhide it in 'Folder Options'.

computerchuck

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 07:51:06 PM »
Have you tried doing a hardware reboot on your avast management server?  After that, try opening the administrator console in IE, and do a manual mirror software update.

Dear Avast

I also had the exact problem as above, I cannot deploy avast_managed.exe to my clients.
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Administration Console\Mirror\Install\avast_managed.exe
Mirror info states "Virus definitions: 0-0" and Mirror status: Done, with Error code: OK (nothing to do).

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:57:18 AM »
Dear Avast

Hi eskay2,

Try to reboot your PC and do the mirror from IE browser, I also have the same problem but it was solve by reboot and manual mirror from the AC browse from IE browser.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + avast Premium 11.1.2241
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

Offline 1tb

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 03:36:38 PM »
Our install is missing this too. But how do you do a manual mirror update? When we go into the Mirror options in the console it just says 'Mirror Status = Done', Error code: Ok (Nothing to do).

How do we force a manual mirror update?

Its okay... figured it out- Just run 'Update Server definition' job- and now avast_managed.exe is there!
Not sure why it didn't happen on install though.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:21:17 PM by 1tb »

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 11:45:44 PM »
Would it be possible to get zipped
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Administration Console\Logs directory? Maybe the logs will help to find the root cause.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:05:03 AM by jx »
Quality is also a feature.

Offline 1tb

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:34:57 AM »
Here are our logs. (Note had to change extension to zip.log to upload- just delete the .log and unzip)

I tried to install onto fresh SBS 2011 (service pack 1) and had all kinds of problems getting the console to load. In the end we got it running by disabling IE8 enhanced security.  Unfortunately now when we access the console we get a security warning dialog "Security Warning" Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely? to which we say No to get the console to load.

I'm not comfortable leaving IE8 Enhanced security off, so will see what happens when we enable it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:39:17 AM by 1tb »

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 04:34:38 AM »
Our install is missing this too. But how do you do a manual mirror update? When we go into the Mirror options in the console it just says 'Mirror Status = Done', Error code: Ok (Nothing to do).

How do we force a manual mirror update?

Its okay... figured it out- Just run 'Update Server definition' job- and now avast_managed.exe is there!
Not sure why it didn't happen on install though.

You can run the mirror.exe from DOS command on "c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Administration Console\x64" or "x86"
after you finish the mirror update do the restart and login to the avast console then click on "JOBS" then click "Update Server Definitions" 
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + avast Premium 11.1.2241
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

computerchuck

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 02:37:45 AM »
Same problem, different server.  Tried everything here, no joy.  Even tried updating to the latest BP Admin console, but now getting VBScript errors.  

See:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81912.0

I've also tried deleting all mirror & distro files, doing a repair install, then re-running mirror, rebooting the server and still no joy.  Manually running the mirror seems to work fine.  But when I click on 'update server definitions' after the mirror update is complete, it always fails!

Help!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:44:11 AM by computerchuck »

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 01:10:15 AM »
Here are our logs. (Note had to change extension to zip.log to upload- just delete the .log and unzip)

I tried to install onto fresh SBS 2011 (service pack 1) and had all kinds of problems getting the console to load. In the end we got it running by disabling IE8 enhanced security.  Unfortunately now when we access the console we get a security warning dialog "Security Warning" Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely? to which we say No to get the console to load.

I'm not comfortable leaving IE8 Enhanced security off, so will see what happens when we enable it.
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1004&nav=0,1,23,654
Quality is also a feature.