Author Topic: Exceptions for sandbox and script shield?  (Read 8036 times)

computerchuck

Exceptions for sandbox and script shield?
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:08:51 PM »
This migration has been more painfull than 3.8 ADMN!  Machines are very slow, scripts that take 1 second, now take minutes.  We are getting constant sandbox alerts.

I've put in exceptions in the new management console (Network, group view, edit group settings, exclusions), but it says these are for on-demand scans only (manual and auto scans). 

Where can I put exceptions in for sandbox and script shield??

Thanks,
Chuck

jx

Re: Exceptions for sandbox and script shield?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 08:30:54 AM »
Chuck,

the sandbox and script shields are completely different from the file shield where you could set an exception.

For example with the script shield you have no way to alter any settings even in the traditional IS client, the only setting for this shield is "on" or "off".

If you wish, you can try to send a private message with the attached script and I will forward it to the script shield developers. I'm sure the'll be interested to find out what's causing such an enormous slowdown.

Thanks

jx

computerchuck

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Sorry I haven't PMd a copy of my script yet.  I'm still fighting other issues.  :)

What I really need is the sandbox popups to STOP!   I REALLY need to be able to add exceptions in the sandbox settings!!!

I'm running a few programs from within the startup scripts on my windows computers.  The biggest problem I'm having with it, is I have a delay.exe program that causes a delay before it runs the next command in order that the application will load properly. 

I've tried altering the scripts several different ways.  The sandbox tends not to remember the previous settings of "Open normally" , and checking the "remember permanently" box.   After several reboots, the sandbox forgets these settings and causes huge delays in running my scripts.   They are virus free and I have been running them for years.  

Also, the server (which now runs the new Avast server version) keeps running into sandbox dialog boxes which, unless noticed and answered by a human, causes system wide slowness and hangs.  This is unacceptable! 

We REALLY NEED to be able to add exceptions to the sandbox!!!!!

We may have to revert back to version 4.8.  :(  Very sad.  Good product, but we didn't purchase this product to give us headaches, we purchased it to avoid them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:43:56 PM by computerchuck »

computerchuck

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »
Update:
Ok, was able to change my login script where I'm not using a delay executable.  There is a VBScript command for that. 

But the sandbox is still not remembering it's settings after a reboot on the workstations.

I still need the option to add exceptions to the sandbox.   Maybe, I need to start a new thread about getting the sandbox to actually remember it's settings on the workstations.

impuls

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:34:10 PM »
What I really need is the sandbox popups to STOP!   I REALLY need to be able to add exceptions in the sandbox settings!!!

Edit group settings -> Expert Settings -> AutoSandboxEnabled -> 0

You can play with two other options there.

mIRO

computerchuck

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »
I now see an "AutoSandboxExcludedList" variable there.  What's the syntax and will it fix my problem?

impuls

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »
I don't know, but I like to know :)
For now I just disabled AutoSandbox option.

mIRO

Offline claudiuc

• avast! Security Expert
  • Avast Reseller
  • www.avastantivirus.ro
    • www.avastantivirus.ro
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:07:05 PM »
AutoSandboxExcludedList: Full path and name of excluded files, separated by ; should work.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:56:51 PM by claudiuc »
Claudiu C. - Easy Media
Avast & AVG Distributor Romania, Moldova, Hungary
https://www.avastantivirus.ro/

Laneg004

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 06:05:35 PM »
I just wanted to chime in about the problem w/ sandbox not remember it's settings on workstations after a reboot. My users were getting inundated with sandbox requests.  As suggested, I set AutoSandboxEnabled to 0 and things seem to have quieted down now.

computerchuck

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 06:45:35 PM »
Good to hear that turning the sandbox off has worked for you.  I hope that Avast can figure out why the program will not remember it's settings.  This is a problem that they should solve.  :)

Offline lukas.hasik

• Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 12:23:45 AM »
all the properties for the avast! client are provided by the management server. If you change something "locally" on a managed client then it's replaced again with the value from server (asap).
It's just an idea why it's not remembered on the client. I'll check it tomorrow.
Quality is also a feature.