Author Topic: [SOLVED] Unable to install BP Console with Remote SQL?  (Read 6299 times)

OBJR

[SOLVED] Unable to install BP Console with Remote SQL?
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »
Hi I'm trying to install the new BP Console RTM with a remote SQL server but it just keeps throwing an error every time about not being able to create the SQL Database on the remote server (See below). I have permission to create DB's on the server etc so I'm not sure what's wrong, anyone have an idea?

[Header - Application started at 22-Jul-2011 10:50:14,359 local/10:50:14,359 UTC]
07-22 11:50:15,381 [1] INFO  SbcServiceInstaller - Installing main avast! Administration Console service.
07-22 11:50:16,457 [1] INFO  Net - Preferred NIC initialized: 10.1.10.80
07-22 11:50:16,460 [1] INFO  ConnectionStringFactory - Connection string read from stream: Data Source=<REMOTESERVER>;Initial Catalog=avast_sbc_db;Integrated Security=SSPI;
07-22 11:50:16,979 [1] INFO  ConnectionStringFactory - Connection string read from stream: Data Source=<REMOTESERVER>;Initial Catalog=avast_sbc_db;Integrated Security=SSPI;
07-22 11:50:17,206 [1] INFO  DatabaseInstaller - Checking for existing DB or creating a new one.
07-22 11:50:19,823 [1] ERROR DatabaseInstaller - Error creating a new database.
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
   at Avast.Sbc.Service.Installer.DatabaseInstaller.executeNonQuery(SqlConnection connection, String sql)
   at Avast.Sbc.Service.Installer.DatabaseInstaller.CreateDatabase()
07-22 11:50:20,407 [1] ERROR SbcServiceInstaller - Problem while installing the service.
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning()
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
   at Avast.Sbc.Service.Installer.DatabaseInstaller.executeNonQuery(SqlConnection connection, String sql)
   at Avast.Sbc.Service.Installer.DatabaseInstaller.CreateDatabase()
   at Avast.Sbc.Service.Installer.DatabaseInstaller.ClaimDatabase()
   at Avast.Sbc.Service.Installer.DatabaseInstaller.Install()
   at Avast.Sbc.Service.SbcServiceInstaller.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
07-22 11:50:21,508 [1] WARN  SbcServiceInstaller - Rolling back the installation
07-22 11:50:22,502 [1] INFO  Net - Trying to resolve fully qualified domain name.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:46:16 PM by OBJR »

jx

Re: Unable to install BP Console with Remote SQL?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »
Did you specify the correct user credentials in the expert path of installer for the service to use (to run under)?

OBJR

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:57:09 PM »
Yep tried that, still no joy. Even tried turning the firewall on the SQL server off.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:27:55 PM »
Unfortunately the service installation currently runs under LocalSystem account, that is probably the reason why it cannot access the remote database. As a workaround you can try to allow the 'Domain\computername$' account at the SQL server for the time of installation. After the installation the service will run under the account specified at the 'Service configuration' page.

OBJR

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »
OK it looks like it's installing now. Bit of a messed up work around, but here's what i had to do as it seems you cannot give a computer account a login in SQL Server. (We're using Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 & SQL 2008 R2 btw)

• Create a group on the local sql machine
  • Add the Server that is going to host the BP Console to that group
  • Add the group into the SQL Server as a login with permission to create a database.

Like i said seems like a messed up way of doing things as I'm sure i won't be the only one with this problem. It seems to be working now & creating a mirror, so we'll see what happens next :)

jx

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to install BP Console with Remote SQL?
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:06:57 PM »
Great to hear this is resolved successfully, thanks!

jx

wpn

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to install BP Console with Remote SQL?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »
I have tried to get it working using a domain global group instead of the suggested machine local group.
This didnt work.

Right now the SBC is installing using the remote db server with the suggested machine local account.
Didnt try the domain local group tho.