Author Topic: Removable media scans; scan log seems to indicate only 2 scanned?  (Read 3357 times)

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
Good morning everyone,

In looking at the Removable Scan log for a scan done around 3 a.m. today, it appears that Avast only scanned 1 of the 2 USB flash drives which are attached (via an extension device) to my computer.  (I am basing this on the TOTAL SIZE shown in the scan report).  One flash drive is 4 GB, the other is an 8 GB.  (I have pasted the scan log report below for your review).

Is this occurring because of using the extension device (i.e. the USB flash drives are not plugged DIRECTLY into the computer itself)?  [The extension device can accommodate up to 4 USB flash drives being plugged into it]

The two USB flash drives are listed as Drives G & H.  I'm using the latest FREE version of Avast and all updates are current.

Thank you for your time and any enlightenment!

Pete C

* avast! Scan Report
* This file is generated automatically
* Scan name: Removable media scan
* Started on: Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:00:02 AM
* VPS: 110723-2, 07/23/2011

Infected files: 0
Total files: 28902
Total folders: 5425
Total size: 3.2 GB

* Scan stopped: Sunday, July 24, 2011 3:07:08 AM
* Run-time was 7 minute(s), 6 second(s)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:54:29 PM by spc3rd »
kls490

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Removable media scans; scan log seems to indicate only 2 scanned?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 05:55:49 PM »
The size of a USB will have nothing to do with the quantity of data scanned. That is based on how much data is actually stored on them and the settings of the scan; if you choose to scan archives, etc. then the extracted file size (of files scanned when extracted) is what would be counted towards the overall total data scanned.

Did you happen to monitor the scan whilst in progress to see if both drives are actually scanned ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 06:00:21 PM »
Hi DavidR!

I scheduled the scan for the overnight hours, so I was asleep when it ran.  I'm guessing your next recommendation might be to run the scan NOW while I'm awake and see if the USB flash drives BOTH light up during the scan.  Is there anything else I should do BEFORE the scan with regard to the scan settings?

NOTE:  the 8 GB USB drive has 3.35 GB of used space; the 4 GB drive has 140 MB of used space.  The scan settings only include 4 of the archive type files (which are checked) from the long list shown.

It just occurred to me David, that given the 4 EXCLUSIONS I have set for the Removable Media Scans (i.e. Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes Pro, PC Tools Firewall, & Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer Tool), Avast probably DID scan both drives.  I will proceed with another scan now and see what happens, then post back.

Thanks very much for the info and additional time!

Pete
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:25:02 PM by spc3rd »
kls490

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »
You're welcome.

Since the actual scan duration is only 7 minutes, it would confirm if it is in fact scanning both drives, but it does look like it is.

Another way is to combine the total data on both (just using explorer right click properties) and see if they are even close to the results given and they appear to be close. The packers selected by default are ones which are auto unpackers so have to be scanned, the others aren't such an issue (inert) as they have to be first unpacked and then run any exe which is extracted.

Generally I would say leave the settings on the defaults other than perhaps enabling the report file and perhaps increase the Performance, Scan priority as this is being done on a scheduled scan so shouldn't impact on system performance.

Or you could edit the report file settings in the removable media scan settings, ensure that you generate the report and check the OK items, this would certainly show if it had scanned both drives; you could also check the Skipped items option also. However, this text file could be very large and I wouldn't recommend these two options be selected permanently selected, only for investigation like this.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 06:43:57 PM »
Hi again David!

I ran another Removable Media Scan; the results are pasted below.  No change from last scan.  In watching the computer screen during the scan, Avast only scanned the H drive (i.e. the 8 GB USB flash drive).  I did notice the other USB flash drive light flicker on/off several times, but I never saw on the screen where Avast actually scanned the other USB drive.

I will re-run the scan a 3rd time, since I neglected to place a "check-mark" in that OK box you mentioned in the report settings.

Thanks once again for your time and help!

Pete C.

avast! Scan Report
* Started on: Sunday, July 24, 2011 12:26:31 PM
* VPS: 110724-0, 07/24/2011

Infected files: 0
Total files: 28904
Total folders: 5425
Total size: 3.2 GB

* Scan stopped: Sunday, July 24, 2011 12:33:22 PM
* Run-time was 6 minute(s), 51 second(s)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:05:49 PM by spc3rd »
kls490

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 07:15:34 PM »
David,

I have pasted the 3rd Removable Media Scan results below.  It definitely shows the "G" drive was scanned.  I'm guessing that because there is only 140 MB of used space on that 4 GB drive, and the scan rate was something like 2.6 MB per second, the scan was too quick to be shown on the screen while I was watching it.

Once again...my sincerest thanks for all your help!

Pete C.

* avast! Scan Report
* Started on: Sunday, July 24, 2011 12:56:11 PM
* VPS: 110724-0, 07/24/2011

Disk G: Boot Record
  • is OK

Disk H: Boot Record
  • is OK

H:\0 JCC Playground Files\ASTM Playground Safety Standards & Surfacing Material Guidelines\ASTM  F1487-07 Standard Performance Specification for Public Playground Equipment.pdf
  • is OK
kls490

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »
Yes you would have to be absolutely glued to the screen and very attentive to catch the 140MB being scanned.

The main thing is that it does appear to be scanning both drives.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 08:19:46 PM »
Are there any files on the G: drive?
According to the report file (unless something was cut from the middle), it seems only the boot sector of the G: drive was scanned, but no files...