Author Topic: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?  (Read 92570 times)

MrRAlan

Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?
« on: July 22, 2011, 10:46:44 PM »
Is there a way to prevent pop-up ads in the free version?  I just received a pop-up ad about upgrading to the paid version.  I never saw these before.  It looked just like a virus definition update but it was an ad for the paid version.

user_1000

Re: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
I also noticed this just moment ago.

See screenshot.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:01:42 PM by user_1000 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 11:06:39 PM »
I don't believe there is I just got it today also, but it was also an offer (Summertime Savings) as well a general ad.

Personally I don't feel it is that much hassle, but the Orange grabs your attention when used in the same pop-up style as updates and alerts and automatically I though an update had failed, etc.

I see the £ has reached parity with the Euro, so not as good an offer as first suggested then and certainly not the lowest price ever ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:08:52 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

user_1000

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:10:44 PM »
I see the £ has reached parity with the Euro, so not as good an offer as first suggested then and certainly not the lowest price ever ;D

Indeed.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:25:15 PM »
+1 >:(
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 11:27:42 PM »
+1 >:(
I see your +1 >:( and raise +2  >:( >:(

I can deal with it.....but I don't like it.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 11:30:38 PM »
.....but I don't like it.
@Gargamel360

+2 ;D ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:39:38 PM by ~SKY~ »
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

timcan

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 12:19:45 AM »
Hi, I've yet to see this pop up. I do block avastui.exe with my firewall though.
Not sure if this is the reason or not.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 12:43:32 AM »
That is probably why, but I really don't want to do that, which is why I didn't mention it as an option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 12:54:35 AM »
I saw this pop up a couple of hours ago.

About the price, it is only a concern to Avast Software and for the users really interested in the offer, and the offer can change from time to time. For this topic, that is OT.

The really important thing (in the context of this specific forum's topic) is if this type of "warning" is going to be "too frequent", or "annoying".

After years of using Avast, this is the first time I've ever seen such a "warning", so it doesn't bother me. I think it is a legitimate way of offering discounts to potential buyers. As I said, it depends on the frequency.

Although I don't think there is a GUI method to avoid it, I guess that a complete silent mode would block it. I personally don't use silent mode, and I won't use it for the only purpose of blocking this notification.

In addition, as with other pop ups, it is still possible to change the time it is going to be displayed. I personally won't change the displayed time, unless it turns to be "too frequent". I think that, during the years, Avast has been both respectful and useful to the user, so I don't believe it is going to be "too frequent".

Offline cliffa.onsite

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 01:38:56 AM »
This is going to be something of a problem for me.  Not me personally but for my business.

Before any one jumps on me for violating the licensing agreement for the free version:  I run a computer repair business.  I don't use the free version myself (except on my home computers).  I *do* often suggest it to my clients.  I also install it for them if they request I do so and I charge for the labor.  As far as I know this is well within the "for personal use only" requirements of the Avast! free license.  I also read the license (though I'll admit it's been a while) and found nothing that would lead me to believe suggesting it to my clients or even charging to installing it for them is a violation.

So... with the disclaimer out of the way...

My problem with this whole thing is that this makes me wonder if I should still suggest Avast! free edition to my clients. Many of my clients would view this as an intrusion into their privacy. Those that do will likely end up calling me to "fix it" so that doesn't pop up, and when I tell them I can't... well... the end result in many cases will be installing another product at no labor charge to appease the client.

I love Avast. And, as odd as this might sound coming from some one who makes a living removing virus', of the things I love most is how effectively it protects my clients from virus' without much interaction on their part or interfering with their work.  It stays out of their way, minds its own business, and does its job. This is exactly what an antivirus should be.

Before I would tell my clients Avast! was not just the best, it was the only reasonable choice.  Free and as good or better than any paid AV? Can you say no brainer? But now, at best, I have to throw in a caveat when I suggest it.

Obviously I'll deal with it. I'll still suggest Avast! first and foremost... I'm just going to feel a lot less confident about it and I'll have to tag a "the only bad thing about it" to my "sales pitch." I'm also going to have to find another product I feel as confident about as a backup suggestion for the clients that outright baulk.

avoidz

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 04:14:13 AM »
I had my first avast! ad pop up this morning -- I do not like this development either. There are already ads in the main program box; surely that's enough if it's really necessary. Popping up in the same place as update notifications is a bad idea.

I also don't want to be nagged about a paid version I'm already aware of. And as someone else mentioned, some users might think their free version is only trialware or something.

Offline Ashish Singh

• Poster
  • Proud to be an Indian
    • Quick Heal
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 06:08:43 AM »
Either remove it from GUI or from the pop up....
Windows 7 Ultimate(32 bit), avast! free (always latest released or beta), Intel Core2Duo, 2GB RAM, Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5,IE 9,TuneUp Utilities 2011,Diskeeper 2011

http://www.incredibleindia.org 

Caution! Online world is full of man made Aliens

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 06:14:58 AM »
I was a little startled by this too, but I'd much rather have that pop-up than an Ask toolbar or registry cleaner pushed on me cough*Avira*cough.

Dch48

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 06:24:07 AM »
I got it for the first time today as well and it startled me at first, then it annoyed me when I saw what it was. I know all about the Pro version. I hope they only do this for special offers or discounts, then it won't be so bad.