Author Topic: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?  (Read 92560 times)

kaniki

Re: Prevent Pop-up Ads in free version?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 07:09:56 AM »
I dont see what the bid deal is. They very rarely have a screen for specials and when they do, you simply just click to close. Its not like those annoying companies that have a pop up every time you start the PC. for the PC tech, considering it is free, if they have to close 1 or 2 or even 4 pop ups a year, then why are they complaining.. especially considering they are not paying anything for it. Just explain to them that there may occasionally may be a special that may pop up and just simply click close if you dont want it. If they dont like it, then tell them to pay for a paid one but you can not recommend any. this way, you keep yourself clean from any pop ups that any company has. If you do have a customer that complains about a pop up every few months, then they are way to picky.. especially considering that they are getting free software because (most of the time) they are too cheap to pay for it.. and if they are not too cheap, then they would purchase the other versions that are paid for (pro, IS, etc). Like they say, you can please all of the people some of the time or some of the people all of the time, but you cant please all of the people all of the time...

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 09:04:20 AM »
I do block avastui.exe with my firewall though.
Not sure if this is the reason or not.

Blocked here, too. Doesn't prevent the pop-up.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

avoidz

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 10:15:51 AM »
I dont see what the bid deal is. They very rarely have a screen for specials and when they do, you simply just click to close. Its not like those annoying companies that have a pop up every time you start the PC. for the PC tech, considering it is free, if they have to close 1 or 2 or even 4 pop ups a year, then why are they complaining.. especially considering they are not paying anything for it. Just explain to them that there may occasionally may be a special that may pop up and just simply click close if you dont want it. If they dont like it, then tell them to pay for a paid one but you can not recommend any. this way, you keep yourself clean from any pop ups that any company has. If you do have a customer that complains about a pop up every few months, then they are way to picky.. especially considering that they are getting free software because (most of the time) they are too cheap to pay for it.. and if they are not too cheap, then they would purchase the other versions that are paid for (pro, IS, etc). Like they say, you can please all of the people some of the time or some of the people all of the time, but you cant please all of the people all of the time...

It's where these sorts of things can end up: pop ups visible all the time, software pushed to you, possibly installed unwittingly. Ends up as annoyance for regular, experienced users; confusion for others.

Not saying this will happen to avast!, but the red flags go up at these sort of things.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »
I hope they only do this for special offers or discounts, then it won't be so bad.
That would be ok!
We don't need a second Avira and I really think, that we won't get one!
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline ky331

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »
avast definitely needs to reconsider this "warning" form of "advertising".
If you read product reviews/comparisons at various websites, it seems to me that one of the main objections they have against avira is its "nagging update screen advertising its paid version".   Granted, avira nags with EVERY update, and for avast, this is a one-time thing (at least so far for me).   Bit its gonna generate "bad will" and objections "on principle"... so I think it has to be stopped... especially in the form of what appears to be a "warning".

My suggestion:  IF avast wants to offer me an occasional special deal, it should do so by e-mail.   That would not cause any sense of "alarm" (like a warning does)... avast can make its solicitation... and I can calmly react to it (read it or dump it) as I see fit.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

12-es_csaj

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »
MSE has Windows 7 Firewall integration. If the pop-up is shown again, I'll switch to MSE.
I've never tought that avast! will advertise itself... I trusted it.
 >:(   >:(    >:(

Tgell

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »
I had my first avast! ad pop up this morning -- I do not like this development either. There are already ads in the main program box;...

+1 :(

Edit as a side note. Being in the U.S. it was $9.99 for me so that works out to about 6 British Pounds. Did not seem like that bad of a deal but the free version suits my needs.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:50:08 PM by Tgell »

Hermite15

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »
... don't have it obviously as I'm on AIS but well... I'd hate to see that happen... and when I say hate I mean really hate. If I was running the free version and saw that popup it'd be a good reason to switch to another AV. Avast: just don't do these things ;)

ady4um

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 02:48:21 PM »
My suggestion:  IF avast wants to offer me an occasional special deal, it should do so by e-mail.   That would not cause any sense of "alarm" (like a warning does)... avast can make its solicitation... and I can calmly react to it (read it or dump it) as I see fit.
I DISagree with the "emails" idea. Absolutely, completely 100% NOT.

The discount notification is not a "nag". It does not appear every time you update your database or for every boot. It is a "summer" discount. If Avast wants to publish a discount (which might mean a potential gain for the users too) 4 times a year, in a form of a 20 (configurable) seconds tray harmless notification, I would think that it is far better suited than an email.

Non requested emails will have far more negative impact in PR, and it will eventually be automatically stopped by antispam methods.

If you might be interested in the details, you don't need an email. Clicking the notification will give you more details and time to think about it.

About the "I already know about Avast's paid versions/releases/options", (almost) all frequent users of this forum already know about them. So what? Millions of potential clients might be interested in a discount so to use a paid version of Avast.

People, it is still a business. Four (or say, eighth) times a year, for 20 (configurable) seconds, for a discount offer (not only pure advertising) is not close to "nagging" every day/week/boot/update.

If 4 times a year a user (customer) is "too bothered", maybe we should get rid of businesses at all. Everything free (not necessary "libre"). No advertising, no marketing, no money, no gain. For everyone. For ever.

For those technicians and alike recommending and installing Avast, a very simple explanation that, once in awhile (not every day/boot/update, but 4 times a year) the customer may receive a tray notification offering a discount to get a more complete security option of Avast, should be enough.

If that customer doesn't want "any" offers, the notification goes by itself after 20 (configurable) seconds. Or, better yet, offer the customer to install a paid version of Avast, so not only the technician earns some money, but Avast too.

"Proportion" and balance are important. That goes for users, and for Avast. Four times a year is not nagging. Let's keep *that* proportion.

Having say that, I indeed recognize that some users might (over)react and immediately uninstall Avast for some other (competitor's) tool. This is something Avast should think through.

MSE has Windows 7 Firewall integration. If the pop-up is shown again, I'll switch to MSE. I've never tought that avast! will advertise itself... I trusted it.

Avast is still trustworthy. Users might think, as already mentioned in this topic, "let's use MSE" (or other competitor). No one could stop them, of course. It's their choice. The (wrong IMHO) conclusion could be, "let's use ALL software from MS, only from MS". That would be a mistake IMO, and that's out of the control of Avast. Some other competitors are even more "aggressive" in the "nagging" field. And "all-MS" software is also a form of advertising (with far more unwanted consequences).

So, even if *I* personally think it is "balanced", even four-times-a-year discount tray notifications might be something Avast should think through (test feedback from non-forum users).

LunarWolf

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 03:16:09 PM »
May I know how often will this pop up? Not only is avast not solving the numerous BSOD, but avast have the time to pop up ad to their users. I hate anything which pop up unless i tell it to. I think an Ad in the main Window is enough. I don't need a pop up asking me to buy avast. But at least no toolbar or registry cleaner yet now. Bad move on the pop up.  >:(

Haven't install avast yet. But will try and install and see whether I will get the pop up or not. If it pop up only once, I can still live with it.

It seems that a lot of us here aren't happy with the pop up. avast team had better take note of that.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:18:06 PM by LunarWolf »

12-es_csaj

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 03:20:10 PM »
May I know how often will this pop up? Not only is avast not solving the numerous BSOD, but avast have the time to pop up ad to their users. I hate anything which pop up unless i tell it to. I think an Ad in the main Window is enough. I don't need a pop up asking me to buy avast.

I totally agree.

street_lethal

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »
I just got the "Summertime" pop-up this morning and I thought it was hokey. Hopefully they end this idea quickly because it is annoying, the ad in the UI is enough.

avoidz

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »
IF avast wants to offer me an occasional special deal, it should do so by e-mail.   That would not cause any sense of "alarm" (like a warning does)... avast can make its solicitation... and I can calmly react to it (read it or dump it) as I see fit.

I agree. I would be satisfied with email offers sent to me rather than clutter the UI with these sort of ad annoyances.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »
I'm a little confused and bewildered by all the complaints.
You get top notch protection and it's free. You get zero garbage
shoved down the throat when you install it
and you're complaining about
an infrequent sales pitch about getting the Pro or Internet Suit at a reduced price ???
Maybe it's time we all realized that you can't get something for nothing.
It's a fact we should all be aware of.  :)

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

LunarWolf

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »
@bob3160,

The thing is I am sure many of us dont mind if avast were to advertise their products in the main window like how they always do. Is just that pop up is I am afraid a big no no with the users.

So this is what I think the users want. Advertise in the Window but no pop up.