Author Topic: URGENT: cannot click apply after virus scan when viruses have been detected  (Read 4688 times)

Chrismoskal

My computer is going nuts, my xp virus protection is claiming 27 infected files, and after a quick scan avast is claiming there are six. I am trying to sent infected files to the chest, but it says select what tondo with the files then click apply, I cannot select any files, or click apply no matter what the option is set to on the computer. Please help fast, my Internet browsers will no longer connect because of warning from xp antivirus 2012 I think it is.

Gargamel360

You are likely infected with a rogue AV, then.  (XP Anti-virus 2012) 

Follow this guide to have the local malware removal expert clean your system>>http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

This is the wrong section for this, so when the tools are done running, start a new topic in the virus & worms section to post the logs in.

Chrismoskal

I would download it, but my Internet browsers won't work for me, so I cant even open up my homepage properly without getting warnings that prevent me from browsing Anything

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
There is a removal guide here you can try
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012

read it all before you start..
you may need to download the tools using a clean computer and move them over with a USB stick

if no success we have Essexboy here as  Gargamel360 have linked to..

sharonheinz

Re: URGENT: cannot click apply after virus scan when viruses have been detected
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 06:40:03 PM »
I have the same problem re not able to use APPLY on a list of 10 files that "could not be scanned". However, I do not have xp, I have Vista, and nothing seems to be going wrong with my internet functions or anything else. The message on the files is either
"another process has locked a portion", or "an I/O device error (1117)". Third week in a row, same files, full scan.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »
I doubt your problem is the same as Chrismoskal as he has a rogue security application on his system, "xp antivirus 2012."

Your problem or rather not a problem stems from your having run an avast scan and avast (unlike other AVs) tells you if a file hasn't been scanned, rather leave you none the wiser if it didn't report it.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?

Essentially there is no confirmed infection, etc. so there is no need to take any action and the  'Apply' button would be greyed out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sharonheinz

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 09:05:09 PM »
Thanks!
An example is
I:\Users\S**\ntuser.dat and the message is "The request could not be performed because of an I/O error (1117)"
or
C:\Users\S**\ApData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst with the message "the process could not access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file"
There are 10 files, and the list is always the same files
some of the files have veeerrry long names, too long to type in here, and can't copy and paste

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 09:19:32 PM »
They are system based errors and not avast errors (or a file/part of a file being locked, outpost protecting its .pst file) as such and really nothing a user can do about them and again not an indication a file is suspect or infected.

Check the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report\ (XP) or C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\ (Vista, Win7) folder as your scan (if you opted to create a report) will be there, same file name as the scan name with .txt, see image example.

You can use notepad to check it and copy and paste any entries, though I don't know if these would be in there as they aren't considered infected. If they aren't then the folder location is also helpful as that gives an idea of the program.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DavidCo

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »
@ sharonheinz
The windows error 1117 is available without the help of malware

The 'locked file' is well known to Outlook users

Just do a search (google or bing is fine)