Author Topic: Best Free Firewall For Use With avast! Free Version  (Read 24600 times)

coiotus

Re: Best Free Firewall For Use With avast! Free Version
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 10:51:47 PM »
Use ZoneAlarm Free Firewall !!1  ;) ;)

delta925

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 11:46:11 PM »
Comodo works well for myself and several friends running both XP and Win2000  ;D

Windows 2000 needs version 2.4.18.184 which can be found here
http://www.filehippo.com/download_comodo/tech/2252/

Offline Corsair

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 03:33:19 AM »
It's not quite that easy to install the Firewall only without D+. You are given three options when installing it called something like ,maximum protection, normal protection, and enterprise strength firewall only. Only the last one, enterprise strength, will give you the firewall without D+. However, even using the firewall only installer, all of the other components of the Comodo Internet Security suite do get installed as well, they're just turned off. Even the AV, with a rather large database file, gets installed.

Actually - it is very easy.

Don't download Comodo Internet Security. Just download Comodo Firewall.

You can do so by simply reading the options on the Comodo website or following this link:

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php

This doesn't come with any of the AV components at all. It only comes with Comodo Firewall and Defence +.

Yes - even when you choose the Firewall Only option Defence+ is installed - however it is automatically disabled so you don't have to worry about it configuring that side of it. Plus it doesn't get in the way when you are doing all that initial work in configuring the firewall.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:37:32 AM by Corsair »
avast! Free Antivirus
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804) - CPU: i5-4670K - RAM: 16GB - HDD: 250GB SSD - Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD

gdiloren

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »

It says "controls which files runs on your pc". So in the event it's a new critical Windows Update file, it will deny access. That's simply that. That's simply why I prefer the ZA free solution. ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:48:12 AM by gdiloren »

Offline Corsair

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2011, 08:09:32 AM »
So in the event it's a new critical Windows Update file, it will deny access. That's simply that.

Not true at all. Microsoft/Windows Update works fine. No issues at all.
avast! Free Antivirus
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (BIOS 0804) - CPU: i5-4670K - RAM: 16GB - HDD: 250GB SSD - Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD

gdiloren

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 08:22:34 AM »
So in the event it's a new critical Windows Update file, it will deny access. That's simply that.

Not true at all. Microsoft/Windows Update works fine. No issues at all.
I had an issue in July. I had to completely remove the "crap" Comodo FW to complete my critical ÙWindows Update then. I won't say it's no good:it's even better than Microsoft. At this point, it's annoyance. ::)

Dch48

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »
It's not quite that easy to install the Firewall only without D+. You are given three options when installing it called something like ,maximum protection, normal protection, and enterprise strength firewall only. Only the last one, enterprise strength, will give you the firewall without D+. However, even using the firewall only installer, all of the other components of the Comodo Internet Security suite do get installed as well, they're just turned off. Even the AV, with a rather large database file, gets installed.

You can do so by simply reading the options on the Comodo website or following this link:

This doesn't come with any of the AV components at all. It only comes with Comodo Firewall and Defence +.

Yes - even when you choose the Firewall Only option Defence+ is installed - however it is automatically disabled so you don't have to worry about it .configuring that side of it. Plus it doesn't get in the way when you are doing all that initial work in configuring the firewall.
No, you're wrong. Even if you choose the firewall only installer from the website the process is exactly as I described and everything does get installed, including the AV. I have done it more than once so I know. The installer download is exactly the same size for the firewall only or the full suite. All Comodo downloads include the full package. The installation options during setup are the only things different but everything does wind up residing on your hard drive.

The ZA firewall is very bloated and very heavy on the system. Comodo is not noticeable at all.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:45:38 AM by Dch48 »

coiotus

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »
There are other firewall programs ....
 Ashampoo Firewall Free, Sygate Free, Private Firewall ...

Comodo did not give very good results ...
 I recommend ZoneAlarm Free ...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »
We have seen many problems with Ashampoo firewall and avast (inability to update avast) in these forums, I would avoid this firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:41 PM »

The ZA firewall is very bloated and very heavy on the system. Comodo is not noticeable at all.
Untrue, especially if you install it by checking custom install without the toolbar. ZA free is the best option for AVAST 6 FREE.
On the contrary, Comodo FW is heavy on system and takes command not letting you decide (telling you, my only way out last month,  was to uninstall it to install my Windows Updates!!! :o)even though it has pop-ups and so on, you know it's complicated etc...
Tried to uninstall Outpost FW I had before ZA, had to download the clean.exe file to get rid of it in safe mode. Now my pc boots in less than 30-40 seconds with ZA free.
 ;)

Offline Corsair

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »

Yes - even when you choose the Firewall Only option Defence+ is installed - however it is automatically disabled so you don't have to worry about it .configuring that side of it. Plus it doesn't get in the way when you are doing all that initial work in configuring the firewall.
No, you're wrong. Even if you choose the firewall only installer from the website the process is exactly as I described and everything does get installed, including the AV. I have done it more than once so I know. The installer download is exactly the same size for the firewall only or the full suite. All Comodo downloads include the full package. The installation options during setup are the only things different but everything does wind up residing on your hard drive.

Yes. I know Comodo technically "installs" the AV components - the files exist its just that its not used so, therefore, doesn't interfere at all.

Anyway - it appears we are just discussing a technicality in the end and are pretty much saying the same thing.  :P

All I wanted to say was that I didn't find it that hard to install Comodo Firewall in Firewall Only mode (i.e. Defence+ disabled and no activated AV).

This is made easier by downloading the install file from the link I posted since it doesn't give the option of installing the AV (even though the AV files are placed into the program folder) and only gives options for firewall configuration (i.e. one option for firewall only and two options for firewall with Defence+).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:10:03 PM by Corsair »
avast! Free Antivirus

Offline Corsair

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »

Untrue, especially if you install it by checking custom install without the toolbar. ZA free is the best option for AVAST 6 FREE.
On the contrary, Comodo FW is heavy on system and takes command not letting you decide (telling you, my only way out last month,  was to uninstall it to install my Windows Updates!!! :o)even though it has pop-ups and so on, you know it's complicated etc...
Tried to uninstall Outpost FW I had before ZA, had to download the clean.exe file to get rid of it in safe mode. Now my pc boots in less than 30-40 seconds with ZA free.
 ;)

Suggested reading for you: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm

For the record, with my settings, I installed Comodo Firewall in Firewall Only mode (so no Defence+) and set it to "Custom Policy" and enabled rule creation (amongst other things).

Seems to have worked for me so far.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:20:40 PM by Corsair »
avast! Free Antivirus

gdiloren

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2011, 07:27:25 PM »
Lucky for you. Even if you are a Comodo fan, it's not a big hassle to uninstall then reinstall the FW in the event it prevents some Windows Updates to succeed. Comodo is the first choice of Matousec site since years...
Other FW I've tested an run well on Win7 with Avast 6 free are Private FW and ZA free without the toolbar with a good and thorough "program teaching" :-X

Offline Bluemeanie

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2011, 10:36:37 PM »
So from a quick scan of this, I take it that PrivateFireWall works well with Avast 6?

Dch48

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 11:48:59 PM »
The Ashampoo free firewall was discontinued at least two years ago and really only ever worked right on XP. I would avoid it.