Author Topic: Problem?  (Read 8015 times)

Ej

Problem?
« on: August 06, 2003, 01:09:13 AM »
Hi, I use avast & I'm happy with it.

But, I was recently making back-ups, etc....
and have a copy of an Avast file witha .dll extention,

I cannot remove it, I am told I do not have permission to remove it, How can I remove it from my pc.

Thank You.

Ilya

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 09:16:53 AM »
What file is it? What OS are you using?
If you can't delete it, it's probably because the file is currently in use ("running"). If you want to delete the avast folder, it would be better to uninstall it (from the Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs) than to delete it directly.

Ej

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 10:48:40 AM »
The file is - ashShell.dll.

Ilya

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 11:14:41 AM »
The file is the shell extension of avast (i.e. the "context-menu" handler).
The file is registered multiple times in the system registry (to show up the avast item in the context menu for any file and folder). If you are familiar with registry editor, you can try to delete the avast item in HKCR\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers and HKCR\Folder\shellex\ContectMenuHandlers and restart your computer.

However, I would really recommend to use the usual uninstallation process instead...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 04:03:06 AM »
The file is the shell extension of avast (i.e. the "context-menu" handler).
The file is registered multiple times in the system registry (to show up the avast item in the context menu for any file and folder). If you are familiar with registry editor, you can try to delete the avast item in HKCR\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers and HKCR\Folder\shellex\ContectMenuHandlers and restart your computer.

However, I would really recommend to use the usual uninstallation process instead...

Sorry if you are "going out" of avast...
But, if igorĀ“s answer seems "difficult" to you, try a registry cleaner tool (jv16 PowerTools at www.jv16.org). I do recommend that - at least before running it - you try what igor says: usual unistallation process...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

whocares

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2003, 12:44:01 AM »
Hi technical..

that won't work:
a registry Cleaner only removes "blind" entries from the registry AFTER you have removed the file in question
and i don't know if the Startup or installed software approach would be so easy/advisable for Newbs..

if usual uninstall won't work, try:
a) renaming the .dll-file in a Dos-Box in SafeMode (F8-Boot); then or maybe after a reboot  you can delete it. Afterwards, Regcleaning would be a good idea :-)

or

b) use AVClear:
http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1336.html
 ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 12:47:13 AM by whocares »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 03:51:24 AM »
Hi technical..

that won't work:
a registry Cleaner only removes "blind" entries from the registry AFTER you have removed the file in question
and i don't know if the Startup or installed software approach would be so easy/advisable for Newbs..

if usual uninstall won't work, try:
a) renaming the .dll-file in a Dos-Box in SafeMode (F8-Boot); then or maybe after a reboot  you can delete it. Afterwards, Regcleaning would be a good idea :-)

or

b) use AVClear:
http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1336.html
 ;)

I totally agree with you whocares, if he cannot delete the file maybe, if helps, i suggest trying InstallFile or Move on Boot aplications (see http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=834;start=new). Maybe even at Secure Mode (F8), the user could not delete the dll file...  ::)
The best things in life are free.