Author Topic: Conflict between recent Avast! update and Steam or steam games (install error55)  (Read 21224 times)

Onan

Hi,

Recently a game I play, Civilization 5, ran into interminably long load times, making the game unplayable.  I uninstalled it and reinstalled it to try to fix the problem.  Then I ran into an Installation Error (#55) from Steam, the client or service (?) the game runs through, which meant I couldn't even launch the game anymore.  

Both of these issues were resolved by uninstalling Avast! (version 6.0.1203) and reinstalling the previous (free) version (6.0.1125).  From other posts I've seen, Civilization 5 is not the only game affected.  

Hopefully there's a way to fix this so it doesn't frustate hundreds of others like me.  

Also: now that I've reinstalled the older version, and set it to only manually update the program (engine and virus definitions still on auto), will avast still keep my computer safe?  

Cheers.  
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 05:36:40 AM by Onan »

Offline Cast

Did you try adding the folder to Avast exclusions to see if that fixed it at all?

Onan

No, I've only just discovered Avast was causing the problem. 

But prior to the recent update, Avast and the game got along fine (to the tune of 582 hours of play time, going back about 10 months).  I'm not sure if I ever had to allow steam or civ 5 access through Avast (or however you might give those programs 'permission') before.  Is there a way to check this now?  Probably not, due to the uninstall / reinstall. 

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Yep you need to exclusions main steam directory into the Avast File System Shields ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

herakulmanruhtinas

Excluding steam directory did not change anything for me.

Tried to load a pre-patch game, waited for 25min it to load for nothing. Started a new game, it created the world for about 20min and performance in-game was poor.  

EDIT: Did manage to install the civ patch after turning avast off for the duration... so I circumvented the code 55 problem.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:10:35 PM by herakulmanruhtinas »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Excluding steam directory did not change anything for me.

Tried to load a pre-patch game, waited for 25min it to load for nothing. Started a new game, it created the world for about 20min and performance in-game was poor. 

EDIT: Did manage to install the civ patch after turning avast off for the duration... so I circumvented the code 55 problem.

Disable Avast for 10 mins or more and when finished update steam or installing you're game, after that re-enable your Avast and play your steam game ;)

I had this minor problem when I couldn't installing the game called Homefront and I can confirmed this is a minor bug problem between Avast v6.0.1203 along with the latest steam version
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:24:59 PM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Trafalgar

Silently blocking all updates, installations, or decryptions of pre-loaded games, unless you disable Avast, along with causing performance problems in some games, is anything but minor.

antrox

I had this minor problem when I couldn't installing the game called Homefront and I can confirmed this is a minor bug problem between Avast v6.0.1203 along with the latest steam version
this problem is old. And started with update to v6.0.1203.
I noticed this problem on the game Left 4 Dead 2, when it update.
+ drop down in game performance somedays...

I deactivate Shields before start the game or update

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
@antrox, steam conflict should be fixed in 1273 build, could you please confirm it? Thanks!

Download links:
Free AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1273/setup_av_free.exe
Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1273/setup_av_pro.exe
IS: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/6.0.1273/setup_ais.exe

Raxius

I have the same problem with Avast really destroying the performance of Civilization V.  I had a similar or same version of Avast as the topic starter and just updated it to .1289.  Avast still interferes with the game, starting a new game takes at least 3 to 5 times longer.  Loading a saved game is basically impossible.  I've left it load for around 10 minutes before I had to hard boot my computer.  The game runs normal with all shields disabled.

As for Steam itself, it seemed to load faster with the current Avast but no guarantees there since I had Steam open like 5 minutes before.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Thanks Raxius, what's your OS version? I'll try to simulate it here.

Raxius

Windows Xp, SP3. Fully updated.

Raxius

I hate to necro this thread, but today was the first time I've played Civ 5 with avast running.  Normally I would disable all shields before starting the game because of the huge performance hit.  But today it loaded fine. I even loaded a save game which before with avast running would take forever, to the point where I would just kill the game in task manager.  Avasst is still the same version as before when I had the problem.  So I'm assuming it was fixed on steam's end or a newer nvidia driver, or neither and it could've been just an odd conflict on my end.  Either way, it's fine now.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Great, thanks for the heads up.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Dch48

I just had to install Steam as part of the installation process for the new game Skyrim (awesome game by the way). I had an old Steam account from way back with like 14 games listed in it and I was able to reactivate that account and install Skyrim without a problem and the game plays perfectly. There was a recent hack of the Steam Forums and other databases and a few accounts were negatively affected. So far there have been no reports of credit card theft but some accounts did have problems with connection and other things. I don't think Avast is the problem so I would go to the Steam support site and the forums and see if you can find out what is going on.