Author Topic: Just installed Avast free 6.0.1203 and now having sound problems.  (Read 12790 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Just installed Avast free 6.0.1203 and now having sound problems.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
@ B Trevathan
No wish to state the blindingly obvious, but did you check if it is hidden using the left < icon in the tray ?

You could also try place the Volume icon in the task bar notification area again, see image2.

Thats a good point though, one of the first things I do is unlock the task bar and unhide hidden icons in the tray.

You could try toggling the setting off (if it is on) and applying the change, then toggle it back on on and apply the changes again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

B Trevathan

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 11:25:16 PM »
You could try toggling the setting off (if it is on) and applying the change, then toggle it back on on and apply the changes again.

Tried that it didn't work.

B Trevathan

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 11:28:44 PM »
Checked for a updated driver but the one on the website is the same version as the one installed.

Rechecked Device Manager, no check marks or exclamation points on anything, everything says that it is working properly.

The audio is Reltek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller.

This computer is so slow. It takes 16 minutes from the time I turn the computer on to the time everything is loaded.

Restarted twice and the sound worked right but didn't play a start up sound. Upon restarting for a third time no sound again, my guess is that on the third time Avast loaded before sound card drivers, I'm 99% sure this problem is caused by Avast?

ady4um

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 11:38:30 PM »
As with other cases, when it is suggested to Clean Uninstall Avast using the Avast utility under Windows Safe Mode, it "may" be effective to REdownload the latest drivers anew, uninstall the "old" (current) ones, reboot (twice please) and install the just downloaded drivers (and reboot again befoer testing). Who knows?

bobo1

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 12:13:24 AM »
Hmmm somthing is seirously wrong with your computer as it takes 16mins to boot up! must have lots of background proceses going off/ malware!!!!!!!!
Reading you had norton on it. Need to use their removal tool to get rid of norton.
Use crap cleaner to remove all junk files and registry cleaner within it.
download & run malware bytes free to test for spyware and remove what it finds on full scan.
Remove avast free then CLICK MY COMPUTER RIGHT CLICK C: DRIVE OR ROOT DRIVE WITH OPERATING SYSTEM / PROPERTIES /TOOLS /ERROR CHECKING Tick check now/repair and recovery bad sectors & reboot. After that run defrag in run box
after that repair job if your sound works download sp3 through windows update and go to that and reload avast.
It should be quite quick with 256mb of ram installed but is bare minimum for reliability 512mb on my computer is plenty like a rocket!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:24:54 AM by bobo1 »

B Trevathan

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 12:54:15 AM »
Hmmm somthing is seirously wrong with your computer as it takes 16mins to boot up! must have lots of background proceses going off/ malware!!!!!!!!
Reading you had norton on it. Need to use their removal tool to get rid of norton.
Use crap cleaner to remove all junk files and registry cleaner within it.
download & run malware bytes free to test for spyware and remove what it finds on full scan.
Remove avast free then CLICK MY COMPUTER RIGHT CLICK C: DRIVE OR ROOT DRIVE WITH OPERATING SYSTEM / PROPERTIES /TOOLS /ERROR CHECKING Tick check now/repair and recovery bad sectors & reboot. After that run defrag in run box
after that repair job if your sound works download sp3 through windows update and go to that and reload avast.
It should be quite quick with 256mb of ram installed but is bare minimum for reliability 512mb on my computer is plenty like a rocket!

Not enough memory, only 256 MB with 64 MB of that being used for video. An extra 256 MB would make a world of difference.
They have a lot that loads at start up and each thing use a portion of the 192 MB that is left:
  • USB Card Reader (built in)
  • Notice that updates are ready
  • Network
  • Printer
  • Quicktime
  • Malwarebytes Pro
  • Windows Messenger
  • Yahoo! Music Jukebox
  • Avast
  • HP Digital Imaging Monitor
  • Adobe Photo Downloader
  • And Sound when it does load

No malware but they are really into music, the drive has lots and lots of songs. They have three or four player installed.

If you read all my post again you will see that I did use norton's removal tool.

It has Malwarebytes Pro installed, it finds nothing.

Avast's boot time scan didn't find much, and it moved what it did find to the chest.

B Trevathan

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 12:57:34 AM »
Working on this thing going so slow is wearing me out, I have told them that it needs more memory before I try to do anything else to it, but they didn't want to spend the money so I'm not going to waste any more time on it.

Thanks for the help.

bobo1

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 01:15:29 AM »
Yes more ram would make it run better. But on a clean instal of xp will run quick even as low as 128mb of ram but alot of hard drive churning though!.
Must be alot of start up items try msconfig and reduce the group start up items to try and gain some speed?
How much free space is on the hard drive? if it is less than 18% free you will start to have problems running windows. System restore points take up alot of room on the hard drive. try cleaning out them?/ clean out c:/windows software distrobution /download files folder (will contain GBs of junk in here (safe to remove)
ah avast did find something and moved to chest and must be something on the computer then!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:30:40 AM by bobo1 »

Gargamel360

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 02:08:22 AM »
Any up to date security is going to have problems on 256, if not now then soon.

I have a 256 machine......one of the only things I can stomach running on it is Puppy Linux, so I can imagine XP would have probelms. ;)

The time has come for you to invest in some RAM, imo.  Cheap to buy, easy to install....unless you are just having so much fun on 256, you don't want to leave (doubt that). ;D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »
Go into msconfig\startups and untick Adobe Photo Downloader, Yahoo! Music Jukebox, Windows Messenger, Quicktime as these program can start when needed and do not need to start at boot.
Also go to avast settings - troubleshooting and set avast services to load after other system services, would also help to not run malwarebytes in realtime on that system.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
I am very close to the same situation as far as using Avast free antivirus 6.0.1203 on a Compaq Presario SR1710NX with ONLY 256 RAM memory running Windows XP with service pack 3. Of course my situation is different in that I'm using service pack 3 instead of service pack 2.

I agree that it would be wise to go with service pack 3 as it is or will be very soon the only XP operating system that MS will support going forward for awhile. Also there are a lot of issues with service pack 2 that are resolved with service pack 3 which includes not just security but compatibility as well. I would that I would agree that with 256 MB ram it gets pretty darn slow when updates are running i.e. Avast for example, to the point that the computer very nearly comes to a stand still for some time. Because of this I ONLY have Avast that runs "automatic updates" along with PEN for email notification.

That said, I didn't see any appreciable increase in slowing down at these times with service pack 3 compared to service pack 2.

As far as the missing volume control icon in the system tray is concerned. I've noticed that a couple of the icons WILL disappear from the system tray from time to time. They include the volume control icon mentioned in this thread and in my case PEN email notifier as well.  What will happen is they will disappear for a while and usually return, but sometimes will not.

I have improved on this situation by not having ANY system update programs running in background with the ONE exception of AVAST. So I've got "Windows Defender" on "manual" updates as well as "Automatic updates" in the "Security Center" (program updates) as well as "HPDJ Task bar utility" and "HP Software" updates etc. These are all a drag on the system and are utilities I can do manually at my convenience.

By keeping the start-up processes that would normally be running all the time at a minimum like I mentioned above all I have to deal with is when Avast updates which as I mentioned admittedly does really bring the system to a crawl. Other than that however, I have generally AVOIDED the "missing icons" issue in the system tray including the volume control icon by limiting the update types of programs that start-up on boot-up thus this pretty much addresses the issue in this thread and the system runs reasonably fast considering the limited RAM as long as AVAST IS NOT UPDATING THE VIRUS DATA BASE THAT IS :-[
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:26:23 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

YoKenny

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 10:44:59 PM »
I have improved on this situation by not having ANY system update programs running in background with the ONE exception of AVAST. So I've got "Windows Defender" on "manual" updates as well as "Automatic updates" in the "Security Center" (program updates) as well as "HPDJ Task bar utility" and "HP Software" updates etc. These are all a drag on the system and are utilities I can do manually at my convenience.
You do not need "Windows Defender" with XP and it takes a lot of RAM so I would un-install it.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 07:10:38 AM »
You do not need "Windows Defender" with XP and it takes a lot of RAM so I would un-install it.

Why is it NOT NEEDED with specifically JUST XP?

You don't think Windows Defender (WD) is worth having as a second layer of malware protection?

So the "real time protections" for WD takes up a lot of RAM?

Task Manager shows WD (MsMpEng.exe) using 388 Kilobytes to 1.5 megabytes. By comparison Avast (AvastSvc.exe) is generally running in a range of about 20 to 45 times that using approx between 8-17 Megabytes.

Or are you saying the "real-time scan" takes a lot of CPU usage? Unnecessary duplication with Avast?

I'll try ANYTHING to avoid the system slowing down to a crawl (generally locking up) whenever AVAST IS DOING VIRUS DATABASE UPDATES!!.

If you really think it's that much of a resource hog (I have no idea) then it would still seem to be a good backup scan device for malware (just don't use the real-time protection and instead manually update the database and manually scan).  Am I wrong here?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 07:16:10 AM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 07:20:31 AM »
Defender on xp is pretty useless and poor detection rate,best to just uninstall it.
If you want an excellent scanner for second opinion use malwarebytes, with the free version you just run an update before scanning.

YoKenny

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
Defender on xp is pretty useless and poor detection rate,best to just uninstall it.
If you want an excellent scanner for second opinion use malwarebytes, with the free version you just run an update before scanning.
+1

Malwarebytes is the best second opinion scanner.