Author Topic: Menu cursor changes  (Read 20947 times)

a61_a61

Re:Menu cursor changes
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2004, 10:38:32 PM »
Just tried it and the first 4 times I opened the menu it was fine, then on the 5th time the cursor changed from the 'pointer' to the 'pointing hand'.  On the 6th menu opening the 'move cursor' showed up.

I won't post anymore pictures but just these show the 3 different cursors that show up when I look at the menu.

I think it's in the avast program.

a61

PS: the program works fine except for this strange thing with the cursors.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 11:24:01 PM by a61 »

inthewildteam

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2004, 01:20:30 AM »
Also happens with me across both machines I have avast! installed on.

Doesn't interfere with my use of the programme btw.

Noticed something similar with opera browser (don't use it anymore) usually  happened after opening a page with java content and then closing it.  I'd lose the animated pointer, a reboot solved it for opera.

I can live with it fine with avast! ........... form follows function ....... I can still use the mouse albeit with a different icon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2004, 04:16:53 AM »
If you change the skin you're using does this make any difference?
Which skin are you using?
The best things in life are free.

jhiker

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2004, 01:52:39 PM »
Avastv4.5 WinXP/SP2

Same thing here.
With the 'silver panel' and the old 'blue panel' I get the 'pointy hand' and then the 'move' cursor.
Oddly, when I use the 'maclover' skin I just get the 'pointy hand' - doesn't seem to change to 'move' symbol - weird.
Happened with previous version of avast too.

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2004, 05:00:13 PM »
jhiker
I guess if an answer isn't found, you'll become a 'maclover'. ;D
Actually now all somebody has to do is find the difference between that skin and the others.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 05:01:57 PM by bob3160 »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

a61_a61

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2004, 05:17:32 PM »
I did notice one odd thing about the cursor changing.  When I click on the menu and then move the mouse to the far left and come back into the menu from the middle or bottom the cursor stays as a 'Pointer'.

When I click the menu and then move the mouse to the far right and come back into the menu the cursor changes to the 'Hand'.

I'm sure the type of cursors that come up are programed into avast.  You can see this very well if you use the 'Shadow first' skin.  With this skin you can see all three cursors show up without clicking on anything...just move the mouse over the skin.

a61

conazus

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2004, 05:51:23 PM »
I just tried it with the silver panel and it happened to me ...    

doesnt happen with maclovers or the simple one that came with 4.5

ianb

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2004, 06:04:06 PM »
I recently started getting this while using Nero 6 (and maximizing window) using optical mouse and XP SP2.  

Is Nero a common factor here ? or is it Avast ?

a61_a61

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2004, 06:30:40 PM »
I'm using Nero 6.3.1.25.  I just tested it and mine is fine.  Two types of cursors show. When looking at the very graphical interface the 'Hand' cursor is all I get.  When using the other interface the 'Pointer' cursor is all I get.  Seems to be fine.

a61

Starfighter

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2004, 06:53:52 PM »
I don't have Nero installed.  But I still have the arrow/hand/movement cursor problem.  So Nero isn't the common denominator here.

I suspect it's just a glitch with Avast...  :-\

conazus

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2004, 07:20:13 PM »
same thing happens on boyfriends laptop...   Avast is not, and never has been, installed on that system.     It happens in different programs on that system   (using a logitech optical mouse, and Win XP S2)      

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2004, 08:11:19 PM »
I found out what is the problem.
Actually I wouldn't call it a glitch or bug.

You all will notice that if you use RejZor-Sharp or Lite-On skins made by me, no problems at all with cursors. On the other hand when you use Laah-Ra again one of skins made by me, that problem with cursor will occure. Same thing is with Martin's skin Silver Panel and some others... what is in common to those skins ?

I'll tell ya...

If you use Silver Panel , you all will notice when you open MENU, at certain point your cursor have to fly over AVAST logo... that area in the skin is meant to be dragging area (for moving your skin around your desktop). That mouse state where you see those 4 arrows is called MOVE... so, nothing is wrong... it's just how Active Skin works... there is not much we can do about it... you will also notice when you browse that MENU, if you hovers with your mouse pointer above some buttons, you'll also hear that particular sound... same thing...

If it is so annoying to you, you can always change the skin. As I said before, some skins are free of that problem (if we can call it that way) just because MOVE (dragging) area is not even close to open MENU... try RejZor-Sharp skin and you'll see what I'm talking about...

Problem solved...  ;)

If you have same problems in some other applications, that's exactly the same issue... those applications uses Active Skin or some other skinnning engine, and that's it...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 08:13:08 PM by S.Z.C »

Starfighter

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2004, 08:35:51 PM »
If you use Silver Panel , you all will notice when you open MENU, at certain point your cursor have to fly over AVAST logo... that area in the skin is meant to be dragging area (for moving your skin around your desktop). That mouse state where you see those 4 arrows is called MOVE... so, nothing is wrong...

Which is exactly what I surmised in my reply # 12 of this same thread...  ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2004, 10:35:17 PM »
Well, I didn't see your reply, anyway I am one of those few who exactly knows how skins works from "inside", not just "outside"... and I gave best possible exlanation why it happens...  ;)

You also stated this:

From my experience, you won't see the move cursor the first time you go into the settings menu, but it will show up after about the 2nd or 3rd time you open up the settings menu.  

And I'm telling you that's not true... I can see that cursor every single time I pass over Alwil logo or any other area which is defined as "Dragging area". If you hover with your cursor inside your MENU panel area, but somehow avoid hovering over "dragging area", you won't see MOVE cursor. So, there is no rule like second or third time... it's just up to you when will you see it next time...

I've noticed that first time I started to make skins for avast! If you take a look at my LAAH-RA skin, you'll see that happens exactly the same way as it happens with Martin's Silver Panel skin. Do I have to repeat that LAAH-RA is my first skin ever... so I knew about this issue long time ago... it's just, no one ever reported that as a bug, so if if it's not broken, why fix it ? Anyway, I'm affraid, there is no cure for this cursor behaviour when we talk about Active Skin engine...  ;)  ;)

Actually, there is a cure... use RejZor-Sharp or Lite-on or any other skin that doesn't contain "dragging area" below or close to the MENU panel area... simple...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 10:43:43 PM by S.Z.C »

Starfighter

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2004, 11:33:20 PM »
If you hover with your cursor inside your MENU panel area, but somehow avoid hovering over "dragging area", you won't see MOVE cursor. So, there is no rule like second or third time... it's just up to you when will you see it next time...

Sasha, I understand/appreciate what you're saying.  However, it's wierd because there are times when I'll load up the default silver panel skin and from the very beginning I'll completely avoid hovering over the dragging areas (i.e. over the Avast logo), but alas when I get to the settings menu I'll still randomly get the move cursor...  So that's why I say after the 2nd or 3rd time... i.e. by then chances are you'll experience the move cursor (or the hand or the arrow).  But yes, I'm technically wrong by defining an exact number of times--as it's more like a random occurance for me.  

And as a friendly note, I'm not trying to argue with you, Sasha, or anyone else, it's just that I'm trying to tell you all what my experience with it is.  I'm experiencing the same thing as A61--so I know I'm not the only one  :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 11:38:10 PM by Starfighter »