Author Topic: How to remove going on earth redirect virus  (Read 3811 times)

apollo1234

How to remove going on earth redirect virus
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
I scanned the computer with avast free edition. But it's still there. When I click on a google result, I get redirected to goingonearth.com and avast blocks it and I can't visit search results pages. Sometimes the virus is inactive, it lets me search some times, but sometimes it doesn't.  ???

SHARKY7SHARKY

Re: How to remove going on earth redirect virus
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »
Try doing an Avast Boot Time Scan Click on Scan Computer  the boot time scan is on the left.
Download Malwarebytes, & do a full Scan.

apollo1234

Re: How to remove going on earth redirect virus
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »
I tried malwarebytes, avg, avg pc tune up,tdss killer and hitman pro 3.5. Nothing worked. But I found a solution. Since I saw this page indexed in google I thought I should write a how to guide on how to remove this virus. The solution is this.

Download combofix http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/. Save the setup file in  your dekstop. Then turn off your antivirus and any other anti spyware programs.

Never leave your antivirus program operational because it will harm your system severely. You won't be able to run any program not even system restore. (if you accidentally ran combo fix with your antivirus turned on, use startup repair to repair your OS)

If you are using windows 7, type msconfig.exe in the search box in your task bar and run that program. In startup tab, uncheck your antivirus or any anti spyware program. Then reboot. If you are using any other OS other than windows 7, disable the antivirus software somehow. (Use google to find more info).

Run combofix.exe, if you get a security warning allow the program to run. It will scan and delete all the infected files. Then it will automatically reboot.(Don't manually reboot). Once the system is rebooted you won't be able run any program. That's fine. Reboot the system again. Then all corrupted registry entries will be deleted. Then your computer is free of the virus.

Run msconfig.exe again and set all your antivirus and anti spyware programs to run at startup. Then reboot again. Your computer should be working fine now.

Note:- this virus probably disabled your windows security center and windows defender. It will also not let you run any security products from Microsoft like MS security essentials and malicious software removal tool. use google to find out how to enable security center. Check if system restore is running. If not disable and enable system protection, then it will run again. If you have any other virus guard, don't enable windows defender because it will conflict with the third party antivirus.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:10:33 PM by apollo1234 »