Author Topic: Windows 2000 (Professional)  (Read 4033 times)

SCORPIONINBLUE

Windows 2000 (Professional)
« on: October 29, 2004, 04:12:51 PM »
Hey!! :)
Just wanted to get some opinions, I got this p.c. second hand from my brother who had it overrun with spy and malware as well as a virus!!  I cleaned it up and stripped it down to the barebones (only a pentium 2) and it functions fine with the DSL connection I have.  I thought about upgrading the program but was told quite honestly by various sales people at different stores that I should stay with 2000 and changing to XP isn't worth it.  They all praised 2000 and said it was the best and most stable program Microsoft has ever produced.  I noticed also that many users of Avast who have problems are XP people!!  I'm defintely staying with 2000 now, sometimes what's new ain't necessarily what best!!  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Windows 2000 (Professional)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 05:26:04 PM »
I have XP SP2.
If you can, wait until Longhorn (2005 or 2006) won't be that bad. You can safe money to buy a new computer  8)
But, if you have budget for that, XP does not bite as you written. Almost the same 'problems' in XP are in 2000 either  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »
If you can, wait until Longhorn
Which part of Longhorn? > http://www.phm.lu/Documentation/Windows/Codenames.asp ;D ;D ;D

techie101

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 06:05:40 PM »
It is not that Windows XP has more problems than other OS, but in that there are MORE users of XP than other Windows OS.

Windows XP is very stable and Avast works well with it.  It takes a bit more time to learn XP because it is not as user friendly as others Windows versions. (You need to look harder for utilities and functions).

Windows 2000 on the contrary has had stability troubles, but much better than the dreaded ME.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 06:07:12 PM by Techie101 »

SCORPIONINBLUE

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 07:10:03 PM »
Got your message, yes there are many more XP users, because so many people are quick to run out and buy whatever Microsoft produces as long as it's new.  I wouldn't say that I was being critical of XP, I was just making a point that in my particular situation, when I considered upgrading to XP, I asked several very knowledgable people (some worked in system operation positions)  thier opinion, they ALL said to keep 2000 Professional, praised it highly and said I wasn't missing anything.  Quite naturally being a novice p.c. user, I  felt reassured and satisfied and saved $100 :D . In many instances when software programs are so called 'improved' they aren't for the better, this occurs quite often in the  industry we've all heard of, or had experiences to that affect.  Thanks for your reply it's always good to exchange different ideas and points of view. Later!!! :)
Scorpioninblue

inthewildteam

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 01:27:23 AM »
If you can, wait until Longhorn
Which part of Longhorn? > http://www.phm.lu/Documentation/Windows/Codenames.asp ;D ;D ;D

@ Eddy, that would be the stripped down version due in 2006!  ;)  Taking bets that Avalon is "back ported" to XP along with Indigo web services.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 01:35:47 AM by inthewildteam »